Wait period given current political situation in US

gringo_2013

Hello, I have applied for my brother (F4 priority I think), wondering if, given current political state in US, there is hope for faster turnaround. I was thinking that if the current administration tries to trim down on the illegal immigration, maybe the ones that follow the legal path will have a speed up in the process, if they don't have to compete with the ones that don't follow the legal way of moving to the US. Anybody have more knowledge to confirm or deny this?
I submitted I130 in December 2010.
Thanks for the help!

Illegal immigration gets “trimmed down” by catching at the border or deportations, which has nothing to do with (a) USCIS processing of legal cases or (b) more important to the wait time in your case, the legal numerical limits on visas per category each year. This latter actually means the wait time tends to actually get longer each year, as more and more people join the queue each year but the number allocation stays constant. As you may be aware, priority dates on F4 petitions are currently March 2005 for most countries (jun 2004 for India, Feb 1998 for Mexico and June 1995 for Philippines) so unfortunately looks like you’ll have at least another 5 years yet.

Thanks for the reply, Susie!

Maybe they will increase the number of cases processed through the legal way, since the illegal immigration will be slowed down, and the need for immigrants is still there in the US economy? Is that a possibility?

Thanks for the reply, Susie!

Maybe they will increase the number of cases processed through the legal way, since the illegal immigration will be slowed down, and the need for immigrants is still there in the US economy? Is that a possibility?

Not under current law, which mandates the annual number. There have been two possibilities expressed in different pieces of proposed legislation (none of which had been passed yet) in terms of clearing the backlog ahead of a proposed eventual removal of this category. One proposal is to do as you say and speed it up, (though as F4 is the lowest preference category all the others would have to be sped up ahead of it, and anyway absent a massive staff increase in uscis it would just backlog the system so I don’t see how it would help - certainly this administration is not going to hire more people with the express purpose of getting more immigrants). The second proposal is to process all those who have less than a year on their wait time (as at the time the proposed legislation might be enacted) and simply axe everyone else in the queue.

I agree the “need for immigrants” is there, but it is by now pretty widely accepted that absent immediate family members (spouses and minor children), other categories such as F2B, F3 and F4 are likely to be axed at some stage in favor of targeting the particular skills the country needs in immigrants, similar to the programs Australia and Canada has.

Bottom line is no there’s not much reason at all to expect it to go faster, and best to hope it just stays around long enough to benefit your brother. I had a F3 petition before so I totally understand how long the wait is, best all of you just get on with your lives in the meanwhile ...