Visitor visa question (URGENT)

kattetg

Hi,

My mother is visiting us from India on a Visitor's visa. She has a 10 year Multiple entry visa and her I94 is valid till Dec 27 2004. Now we received news that her mother (my grandmother) is seriously sick back in India and we are thinking of sending my mother back to India for a couple of weeks and we would like her to come back to US after that.

So the question I have is, if my mother goes back to India now, is there a minimum time she has to stay in India before seeking reentry into the US, eventhough she has a 10 year multiple entry visa? Can she go to India and come back to US in about two weeks time?

Any replies much appreciated.

Thanks
Gautham

There's no minimum stay outside needed by law, but the immigration officer may find it suspicious that a visitor visiting so many times. So it may be a good idea to carry authentic documentation [doctor and/or hospital letters] while coming back to US to show that your grandmom was unwell and hence she had to go back for emergency, and she is resuming her trip. Be sure she does not say anything like "going back to US to care for my grandson" etc, on visitor visa, you only want to say plans about tourist-like things or "spend time with son" type things only. Absolutely no work like agenda to be mentioned.

Best of Luck,
~T