Visitor Visa Extension

shankyyy

Registered Users (C)
We would like to extend visitor visa by about 2 months for my in-laws (I-94 expires in mid September). I am changing job and moving to a new city; so, we are thinking my wife would sponsor as she would move only after 2-3 months. However, she is on maternity leave now; so she will not have her recent paystubs.
- Will not having her paystubs create an issue? (she will still have her employment letter, bank stmts,etc)
- I see CA service center shows 2.5 months but other service centers takes more time. Is this for paper or e-filing? Does e-filing send application to different service center?
- Also, we are planning to have the return ticket originating from the new city where I would be working. We are thinking of giving a reason to see a tourist spot nearby and then flying out from there. Will this be a problem?
Thanks.

i'm not sure why you got that perception. in fact, i'm doing anything but lying. since i'll move to a new city, my in-laws would fly out from there. i don't see why they should unnecessarily come back to the old city to fly out.

They can fly out of any city. For applying extension, you need a good reason why it is needed. For example you can say since you are moving, they need more time to visit places.

There is no need to submit financial documentation for visa extension. A letter from one of you stating that you will continue to provide financial support to them through their stay is sufficient.

nkm,

thx. that is the perception i had, i.e., people can (and do) fly out of any city for whatever reason.

are you saying for visa extension one does not need bank stmts, I-134, employment letters but just a letter with valid reason for extension and I-539? i'm changin job in mid july and moving to new location but my wife will move sometime in fall (she will continue to work here and try to find a job in the new location until that time). the plan is for my in-laws to come to the new location along with my wife,and then fly back to india from there. so, i'm trying to figure out who (me or my wife) and what is the best way to do it?

In case the petition is denied, is there a number of days within which they should return back? Also, in this case, would the number of days they overstayed be construed as illegal even though they were waiting for their decision?

The denial letter will give you the period within which to depart, normally 30 days. As long as they leave the U.S. in a timely manner after receiving a denial of an extension, their visa will be safe. The only time their visa would be at risk is if they stay in the U.S. after the extension is denied.

We would like to extend visitor visa by about 2 months for my in-laws (I-94 expires in mid September). I am changing job and moving to a new city; so, we are thinking my wife would sponsor as she would move only after 2-3 months. However, she is on maternity leave now; so she will not have her recent paystubs.
- Will not having her paystubs create an issue? (she will still have her employment letter, bank stmts,etc)
- I see CA service center shows 2.5 months but other service centers takes more time. Is this for paper or e-filing? Does e-filing send application to different service center?
- Also, we are planning to have the return ticket originating from the new city where I would be working. We are thinking of giving a reason to see a tourist spot nearby and then flying out from there. Will this be a problem?
Thanks.

This phrasing implies lying.

We are planning to include I-134 for b2 visa extension for my in-laws but have only one original of employment and bank letter. Are zerox copies acceptable? I-134 requires evidence in duplicate.

Last edited by a moderator:
fyi-applied for extension last month and got it approved today. was surprised at the early response sinceWAC takes about 2.5 months. thanks for all your help.

They need a really good reason to extend. You appear to be planning on lying to US immigration - a really bad idea.

definitely this is right. I think you should have a credible reason that will pass their standards or will not flagged anything related to it. However, it is not really a bad idea especially if it is not a big question from their part. :)