visitor visa: (avoid mentioning baby-delivery as reason?)

jjjet

Registered Users (C)
(I had posted this on the B-visa Consulate Issues;
but re-posting here. Please excuse.).

Hi All,

My mother-in-law will apply for a visitor's visa in a few days
time to come to US. In my letter of invitation to her, I
mention the fact that we are expecting a baby.

I find some posts on this website saying that this is not a
good idea. Can any one comment on this? It is not clear
to me why this counts as a negative.

If this is a negative thing to mention, I may ask my m-i-l
to not show the letter of invitation. It is too late to send her
a new one now. (Also, she came to US 4 years ago for 6
months and left as per schedule...for what that is worth....).

Thanks for any inputs on this.

jj jet

No pregnancy

Better not to mention pregnancy because that means that she is going baby sit your child and one more American will not nanny job.

No pregnancy

Better not to mention pregnancy because that means that she is going to baby sit your child and one more American will not get nanny job.

visa:

Hi Puredesi

Thanks for your input. I did not have an idea about
this last week and I included that info. in my invitation letter
to the consulate. The visa appmnt. is less than 24 hours
away and things are tight. I will recommend she show the
invitation letter only if they ask for it explicitly. Thanks
for your feedback. I'll post the result of what happens.

jj-jet

Leave the letter behind

jjjet,

Invitation letter is not required to apply for visitor's visa.
If they ask for it they can tell them that they don't have it.
If consulate office still wants it you can fax the letter.It is better
if they ask for missing docs instead of denial because if you go
there again with the requested docs my feeling is that they will
not look for anything else.And one more thing I personally know
a rejection case who mentioned pregnancy in visa application.

Sept13

Re: Leave the letter behind

Hi Sept13.

Thanks for the pointer. I agree it is better to be asked
to come back with missing docs. I'll need to see how to
work this one out. Thanks..

jj-jet

Invitation letter is not required to apply for visitor's visa.
If they ask for it they can tell them that they don't have it.
If consulate office still wants it you can fax the letter.It is better
if they ask for missing docs instead of denial because if you go
there again with the requested docs my feeling is that they will
not look for anything else.And one more thing I personally know
a rejection case who mentioned pregnancy in visa application.

Sept13 [/B][/QUOTE]

visitor visa (Chennai) approvd.

Hi folks,

Regarding this topic (i.e. should one avoid mentioning
that in-laws/parents visiting to help after baby delivery),
based on the postings, we decided that we would not
explicitly mention this fact. When they asked my m-in-law
about reason for visit, she mentioned that she wanted
to see her daughter. My invitation letter talks about
the baby delivery but we did not pro-actively show it,
and they did not ask for it. (She has been to US before
and there were no problems then). The 10-yr visa was
issued. I dont know if mentioning the baby-delivery would
have negatively impacted the visa. FYI only

Thanks for all your replies.

jj-jet

Hi,
Congrats jjjet for your m-in-laws visa.

I am one of those who can say from personal experince, that you made the right choice by not mentioning about the delivery. My parents visa was rejected when my mom showed that as the primary reason for coming. On the second attempt (albeit after a gap of 2 years), she got the visa when she mentioned tourism as the primary reason.

The US goverments travel site lists the follwing as the criterion for qualifying for a visior or business visa:

Applicants for visitor visas must show that they qualify under provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act. The presumption in the law is that every visitor visa applicant is an intending immigrant. Therefore, applicants for visitor visas must overcome this presumption by demonstrating that:

-- The purpose of their trip is to enter the U.S. for business, pleasure, or medical treatment;

-- That they plan to remain for a specific, limited period; and

-- That they have a residence outside the U.S. as well as other binding ties which will insure their return abroad at the end of the visit.

So as you see the reason to come to assist for baby delivery is neither business, pleasure (it maybe a pleasurable experience for the grandparents, but cannot be truly classified as a pleasure activity !), or medical treatment (of self)

take care,
sertra2002

same here............

my parents visa was rejected two years back when they mentioned the reason for their visit as birth of grandchild.

Now Im planning to call them again this year........any other inputs would be helpful.

Shd I send coipies of passport of my daughter(american citizen).

Me and my husband are both GC holders.

Thx

Originally posted by planningforvisa
same here............

my parents visa was rejected two years back when they mentioned the reason for their visit as birth of grandchild.

Now Im planning to call them again this year........any other inputs would be helpful.

Shd I send coipies of passport of my daughter(american citizen).

Me and my husband are both GC holders.

Thx

Hi there,

Sorry to hear that they were rejected the first time around.
Are you convinced that it is because of the birth of child.

Four years ago, for the birth of my first child, I did explicitly
mention that in my invitation letter to the consulate which
was shown, and there were no problems then. I am
unsure as to why that would be an objection (if indeed
it is genuinely an issue). Birth of a grandchild is a major
occassion for visits/celebration in all cultures.

The only thing I can mention in my case is that when my m-i-l
said that she was going to see her daughter, they asked
for my wife's passport copy (not mine). Also, my father-in-law is staying in India, and that may have helped too. About
the daughter's passport, my belief is that it may not help,
but it may not hurt either. I would continue to prove
the 'ties to India' angle.

jj-jet
P.S: I have noticed in that there are times when visas
(F1 in my case) applicants would get rejected wholesale;
and there were times when shady/borderline cases would
get approved (for no apparent reason).
If you have any means to find out that the rejection rate
during a period of time, you can make use of the trend (my
personal opinion only).

Question for B1 visa gurus

My mother in law has been requested to appear for a personal interview at Chennai consulate.Visa was applied through drop box.I think the reason for this is twofolds, firstly we had mentioned my wife's pregnancy in the invitation letter, secondly- she was here last year for six months and left only in dec ( visa was for a year and expired this feb ). As doctors unexpectedly advised my wife bed rest for next one month we had thought of bringing my mother in law back. We had'nt mention anything about bed rest in the invitation letter.
Anybody has opinion on any documents/letter to be submitted during this interview and questions to be anticipated. Also my I485 is pending ( valid H1 in the passport), any adverse affects on that. Any input will be appreciated.

Re: Question for B1 visa gurus

Originally posted by bobn

Anybody has opinion on any documents/letter to be submitted during this interview and questions to be anticipated. Also my I485 is pending ( valid H1 in the passport), any adverse affects on that. Any input will be appreciated.

Hi bobn, I suggest supporting the application with a doctor's
statement about bed-rest. (One thing that might attract
comment is that: it was known during your mil's first visit
that a baby was expected. Yet she did not stay for the
delivery, but now she wants to go back for that, within 2
months of the first visit. They may want to ask about that-
not knowing the bed-rest part). Just my personal opinion.....

jj-jet

It is a terrible reason to reject visa base on pregnancy or baby delivery. It is a common knowledge now for parents to apply for B2 visa that not mention the grandchildren. US is so paranoid after 9.11. I doubt these 60s, 70s old men/women could harm US. And with poor social care for elderly in US, for old people, who want to over stay in US. And do not bring the crape reason of day care employment issue.
1) Grandparents give much better care compare to any day care employee.
2) Grandparents give irreplaceable emotion support and care to the mother, especially the 1st delivery
3) Grandparents will enjoy every moment of seeing their grandchildren.
4) In every culture, grandparents love the moment with their 3rd generation coming. This is even for American culture. Some of my colleague did not see their parents for long time. But their parents came and help out when the 3rd generation was coming.
5) Day cares are stressed in most parts USA. In my place, I need to queue a position in daycare right after you know the pregnancy. Otherwise, you may miss out. They say they can not find people working for day care. Reason, the day care pay their employee sucks. So grandparents help would not harm day care at all.
6) It is very emotional hurting for grandparents that they could not see their grandchildren due to visa rejection. I have to bring my son back for them to see. It is very tough to the new born by traveling long distance. And they can only see the grandchild for a very short period of time.

I was very angry to these visa officers. They should ask themselves, do your parents come and visit you when you have child?

Although my parents get rejected the visa, I still think I was lucky that I can take my child back to let them have a look and enjoy the moments with their grandchild. Two horrible stories:
1) One of my friends had a baby (8 month younger than mine). Their parents got visa rejected twice. My friend are planning a trip once the child out of breast milk. But at age 5 month, her grandfather had a stroke and passed away. He only saw photos of his granddaughter and kissed her photo every night before sleep. But he had never got chance to see her in person, thanks to the stupid US visa.
2) A new born needed a major heart surgery. The success rate was low and doctor told the parents the child may die on the operation. Even with doctor's letters, medical records etc, the grandparents got visa rejected twice. This may be the last chance for them to see their grandchild. I can not understand the logic for these visa officer. It might be the same to American that they could not understand the logic on these 9.11 terrorist.

King had a dream. One day I may have a dream that US would have a visa category for grandparents to visit their coming grandchildren. So they can say to these visa officers - "I WANT TO VISIT AND SEE MY NEW BORN GRANDCHILD."

I hope the world is a better place day after day.

which consulate?

Hi Jjjet

Which consulate did ur Parent -in-law apply to?

Did u include Birth certificate of your wife?

Thanks,

CP waiting said:
It is a terrible reason to reject visa base on pregnancy or baby delivery. It is a common knowledge now for parents to apply for B2 visa that not mention the grandchildren. US is so paranoid after 9.11. I doubt these 60s, 70s old men/women could harm US. And with poor social care for elderly in US, for old people, who want to over stay in US. And do not bring the crape reason of day care employment issue.
1) Grandparents give much better care compare to any day care employee.
2) Grandparents give irreplaceable emotion support and care to the mother, especially the 1st delivery
3) Grandparents will enjoy every moment of seeing their grandchildren.
4) In every culture, grandparents love the moment with their 3rd generation coming. This is even for American culture. Some of my colleague did not see their parents for long time. But their parents came and help out when the 3rd generation was coming.
5) Day cares are stressed in most parts USA. In my place, I need to queue a position in daycare right after you know the pregnancy. Otherwise, you may miss out. They say they can not find people working for day care. Reason, the day care pay their employee sucks. So grandparents help would not harm day care at all.
6) It is very emotional hurting for grandparents that they could not see their grandchildren due to visa rejection. I have to bring my son back for them to see. It is very tough to the new born by traveling long distance. And they can only see the grandchild for a very short period of time.

I was very angry to these visa officers. They should ask themselves, do your parents come and visit you when you have child?

Although my parents get rejected the visa, I still think I was lucky that I can take my child back to let them have a look and enjoy the moments with their grandchild. Two horrible stories:
1) One of my friends had a baby (8 month younger than mine). Their parents got visa rejected twice. My friend are planning a trip once the child out of breast milk. But at age 5 month, her grandfather had a stroke and passed away. He only saw photos of his granddaughter and kissed her photo every night before sleep. But he had never got chance to see her in person, thanks to the stupid US visa.
2) A new born needed a major heart surgery. The success rate was low and doctor told the parents the child may die on the operation. Even with doctor's letters, medical records etc, the grandparents got visa rejected twice. This may be the last chance for them to see their grandchild. I can not understand the logic for these visa officer. It might be the same to American that they could not understand the logic on these 9.11 terrorist.

King had a dream. One day I may have a dream that US would have a visa category for grandparents to visit their coming grandchildren. So they can say to these visa officers - "I WANT TO VISIT AND SEE MY NEW BORN GRANDCHILD."

I hope the world is a better place day after day.

Relatives of mine, a couple, recently applied for a visa. They lied on every question they were asked. They are well educated and the husband is a doctor. They opted for local language interview, dressed up somewhat shabbily, posed themselves as farmers whose daughter made it big in USA, etc, etc. They had every intension of immigrating to US. Got got their 10 year visa and are now in the process of selling their properties in India.

Another couple I know had a daughter who was expecting. They were rejected twice because they were not shrewd enuf to lie properly.

There is nothing right or wrong when it comes to Visas. It is what is important to a person. If you think that having Parents near during delivery time is more important, then come to India and deliver the baby. If you think that the hassels of getting the baby to USA after delivering the baby in India are worse than the hassels of not having parents beside, then be prepared to do it alone in USA.

Whether you like it or not, bottom line thinking in America is that people from India are poor, illiterate and starved, ever wanting to immigrate to America. Otherwise, people form India would have been allowed to apply for Visa at Immigration Counter in America, just as they do for people from European and other countries.

Otherwise, people form India would have been allowed to apply for Visa at Immigration Counter in America, just as they do for people from European and other countries.

This is news to me. What immigration counter are you talking about?

nkm-oct23 said:
This is news to me. What immigration counter are you talking about?

If you are from Australia, for example, you just fly down to US and apply for a 90 day visa at the US Immigrations in the airport. If I am not wrong, there are some 30-40 countries like this.

GreenCardVirus said:
If you are from Australia, for example, you just fly down to US and apply for a 90 day visa at the US Immigrations in the airport. If I am not wrong, there are some 30-40 countries like this.

Sorry I misunderstood. You are referring to the visa waiver program. The reason India is NOT a part of visa waiver is that India requires citizens of ALL countries ( except Bhutan and nepal) to apply for an India visa to travel to India. If India did not require a visa for Americans, then Indians will also not require visas to US.

nkm-oct23 said:
Sorry I misunderstood. You are referring to the visa waiver program. The reason India is NOT a part of visa waiver is that India requires citizens of ALL countries ( except Bhutan and nepal) to apply for an India visa to travel to India. If India did not require a visa for Americans, then Indians will also not require visas to US.
I don't think US would give visa waiver status solely based on reciprocity.

I think reciprocity would be just one factor - after all it would be very easy for countries (like India, China, Mexico etc etc) - who have a lot of their citizens immigrated to US - to allow US citizens w/o visa - only to get the reciprocal status.

Its not that simple -- but definitely would be a step forward :)

Visa Waiver:- reciprocity is definitely one of the requirements, but I'm sure its not the only one.

Pregnancy:- my mother applied for, and was granted a 10yr unlimited entry visitor visa just a couple of months ago. On the application form she clearly stated "visit son & daughter in-law and their newborn grandson". No issues came up during the interview. Maybe the 3 other grandchildren and her property were sufficient to demonstrate strong ties to the UK.