Visitor Entry After TN Denial

greenbird272

Hello!

I have previously asked a question about coming into the US as a visitor after a TN denial. Thank you for the advice — even though the officer pulled me aside for pretty brutal secondary questioning, I was let into the US with a six-month stamp in my Canadian passport. I spent six days in Seattle and went back to Canada.

My question is as follows: I am planning to return to New York (where I lived before the denial) for two weeks this month. While I was let in once in May, I am still worried that a prior TN Visa refusal will cause me problems when I try to enter the US as a tourist if I come across the wrong officer or am less lucky this time around. I have no intent of staying in the US forever but I am going there to visit a boyfriend who is a citizen. Will revealing this make the officer think that I intend to marry (which I do not)?

Furthermore, I am now working as a contractor from Canada — the company is the same one that tried to get me the TN visa that was denied. Will this fact also be used against me when I try to enter as a tourist?

Thank you.

The last time you came to the US you spent 6 days That looks good on your part.
Dont even think about mentioning You have a US BF. Will hurt more than it will help.

Walk with anything that can show you have strong ties to Canada. Utility bills . Recent paystubs. Lease aggrements/ Mortgage. Etcc. If need be you have that evidence just incase its needed.

Dont even think about mentioning You have a US BF. Will hurt more than it will help.

Except of course if asked for the purpose of her trip. She is required to truthfully answer regardless of the consequences of the response. It is important to clarify that.

Except of course if asked for the purpose of her trip. She is required to truthfully answer regardless of the consequences of the response. It is important to clarify that.
Completely agree!

OP doesn't have to volunteer info, but must answer truthfully if asked, about the employer or a USC boyfriend. S/he's already on CBP's radar, any word games at the border could only serve to compound the issue.

Thank you for your answers. What can I say, without volunteering information, when asked about the purpose of my trip?

The other issue is that I once told a Canadian immigration officer, upon return home, that I came from visiting a boyfriend. Do they exchange this information with CBP?

Thank you for your answers. What can I say, without volunteering information, when asked about the purpose of my trip?
The other issue is that I once told a Canadian immigration officer, upon return home, that I came from visiting a boyfriend. Do they exchange this information with CBP?

My question is as follows: I am planning to return to New York (where I lived before the denial) for two weeks this month. While I was let in once in May, I am still worried that a prior TN Visa refusal will cause me problems when I try to enter the US as a tourist if I come across the wrong officer or am less lucky this time around. I have no intent of staying in the US forever but I am going there to visit a boyfriend who is a citizen. Will revealing this make the officer think that I intend to marry (which I do not)?

See bold above..
The US shares information with other countries, and vice versa.

The TRUTH! That is what you are expected to say like I already posted above.

Boyfriend is not an immigration term
She is going to visit friends in NY.
She may get a short tem I94, which should be fine

Thats what i know.
When it comes to immigration you”re either engaged or married. When it comes to your significant other.

Term Boyfriend/Girlfriend is irrelavant.

As @Hello Mister @nelsona said. If asked you are visiting a friend.

Why do you feel so?
Last time I entered for a weeklong trip, I was treated as though I was doing something wrong. An officer immediately asked me if I was meeting with anyone in the US for work and said that my job description (journalist contractor) isn’t a real job. He also brought up my new passport, which was a few months old, as something suspicious.

The worst, thought, came when he started asking about the friends I was going to visit. He asked if it was a boyfriend and I said that it wasn’t. This was the truth as I was going to a different city. The officer then asked if I was sleeping with the friend (!) in a sarcastic tone and why I was staying in a nice hotel.

I realize that I was still let in and didn’t go through anything terrible compared to what other people have experienced but I am someone who does very poorly under pressure. Even more than not being let in, I am scared of them putting some kind of stamp in my passport that could create difficulties traveling to other countries in the future.

This is a TN forum not a how to visit boyfriend forum
Do you have a question about getting a TN? Because that doesn’t seem to be a goal right now for you