Visiting USA again in the same year

smile_all

Registered Users (C)
My MIL visited USA in July 08 and left in Dec 08 (stayed for 6 months).
She is again visiting in Feb 2009.

We are worried that she will have issues at the POI, what should she say at the POI if enquired?

She has not spent enough time at her home. She appears to be misusing a visitors visa. She may receive a shortened stay, and she may even be denied entry.

What is her reason for returning so soon?

in my experience there are no problems. I have used this for my mom.as long as she has a valid visa, they will again give you a 6 months.Just show the return ticket if at all they ask at POE.

Parents approved for shorter stay

My parents were in the US for 6 months. They went back to India for about 2 months after which they returned to the US.

They had assumed that they will get 6 months stay. However, they were given ONLY 3 months. They have a valid 10 year visa. Can they file for an extension given that all their tickets/booking, etc. is for 6 months? We will need to re-book their flights. My dad also works in India and has taken time off to come here. He can prove that he has a regular job back in India.

Unless it is a life/death emergency, I would advise against an EOS, seeing that they are already on a restricted I-94.

However, they were given ONLY 3 months. They have a valid 10 year visa. Can they file for an extension given that all their tickets/booking, etc. is for 6 months?

You expect the USCIS to grant an extension so that they can spend 12 months out of 14 in the US - especially by a person who claims to have a job in their home country. They need to return home and not try to come to the US for quite some time. They can be denied entry if it appears like they are attempting to live in the US contrary to their visa.

He teaches in a university and he can decide which semesters he wants to teach basically. For example, he can take the Fall semester off and come to the US.

Given that both his kids are in the US, they have been contemplating the GC option for a while. Without getting into too much detail about our situation, I wanted to know having been given only 3 months stay this time, can they apply for GC and stay their full 6 months.

Thanks for your response.

It will also make their intention of coming to the US for about 6 months/year easier to manage.

Yes it is true and a possibility for anyone applying for AOS on B-2 status. My honest advice to you would be to ensure that your leave the US before their three month old I-94s expire. Then you may apply for their GCs through consular processing.

Some folks are trying to say that USCIS might frown upon people applying for GC on a B1/B2 visa. Any thoughts?