Visiting Ukraine after Green Card and before Naturalization

yiannis

Hi,

I need to visit a friend in Kiev this weekend and before fighting moves there. I'm wondering if this would impact re-entry in the US with a Green Card and further Naturalization. I don't see any reason it would, I'm not visiting a country that threatens the US.

Many Thanks!

You are unlikely to have issues. It's possible, however, that a zealous/well-informed IO will question you about it. I'm sure the US would be a little peeved if you were there to help the Russians. Mind you, the government in Kiev is extremely right-wing, so in this case, taking either side is a gamble (this last sentence is just a political statement, and has nothing to do with your trip).

You're going all the way just for the weekend? Fun.

Did you obtain your green card based on asylum/refugee status, after fleeing Ukraine? If yes, a trip there could jeopardize your citizenship and also cause problems for your green card.

You are unlikely to have issues. It's possible, however, that a zealous/well-informed IO will question you about it. I'm sure the US would be a little peeved if you were there to help the Russians. Mind you, the government in Kiev is extremely right-wing, so in this case, taking either side is a gamble (this last sentence is just a political statement, and has nothing to do with your trip).

You're going all the way just for the weekend? Fun.

I'm a Greek citizen living in Honolulu visiting a friend in kiev, while on vacation in Greece. I got my green card, based on a NIW and have no interest in either side of the political crisis.

I'm wondering if there's anything I could carry that can prove that. I would not want my re-entry jeopardized. my final destination upon reentry in LAX would be to HNL.

any further feedback is appreciated.

Something that would prove that you're not going to Ukraine to take a side? That would be unnecessary. You'll really be fine.