Visa Stamping in Ottawa in Feb

Nkelkar

Registered Users (C)
I am planning on going to Ottawa for revalidating my H-1. My appointment is on Feb 9th 9.30am
Anybody else has scheduled appointment for that time??

Hi Nkelkar
Can you please let me know when did you schedule your appointment and how was the dates availability...i am planning to get it done in 3rd week of February...but yet havent scheduled anything..do you think that will be problem??...please post your experience...both scheduling the appointment as well as H1 stamping...

Thanking you...

Hi,
I made my appoint ment using the www.nvars.com web site.
Ottawa has plenty of open appointment slots.
I made my appoint ment on Jan 20th.
They had around 14 slots open on Feb 3rd, another 20 open that friday and 17 open on Feb 9th.
What I noticed is that they only make appointments certain days of the week. eg I noticed that Montreal does not take appointments on Mondays and wed.

For Nkelkar

Nkelkar,

A related question.. Have you had your education in US?

I am also looking forward to revalidating my 7th year H1B extension in Canada. I have had all my education outside US, but been in US on valid H1 status for last 6 years.

Wanted to know if it was safe enough for me to attempt revalidation in Canada.

-solicit

Yes I had my education in the US.
I have a BS and an MBA , both from the US.
I also used up my 6 yrs of H-1, went to India for a year and came back on a second round of H-1.
I have 3 H-1 visa's 1 F-1 and 1 B-1 (10yr) stamped in my passport along with bunch of Canadian and European Visas. I had 2 of my H-1's stamped in montreal and one stamped in Mumbai. The F-1 and B-1 were also stamped in mumbai.

From what I have read they say it is better to go to your home country if your Education is not from the US , but they also say this is true for first time H-1 visa's.
Dont know what to tell you.

Solicit

I think you should be OK if your W2 matches with LCA. US education is prefered in Canda but is not an absolute requirement.

H1B Stamping in Canada

Hello Everybody.

Just came back to the Hotel from the Canadian Embassy in Ottawa.
The whole process was very smooth, not that it has not ever been.

Background on me:
I have been in the US since 1991, DId my BS and my MS here, worked for 6 yrs on couple of H-1's (one was stamped in Montreal, no hassles and the other in Mumbai, no hassels or issues) went back to India for a year to reset the H-1, Came back on a B-1 (issued from mumbai, no issues quick 5 min interview and 10yr multiple entry issued) changed the B-1 to H-1, quit the employer and went to another employer on another H-1, quit again and changed jobs to next employer (H-1) went to India in 01, had the H-1 stamped in Mumbai (no hassles, drop box it was sept 10th 2001). Applied for Green card in Oct 01 from California, since labor is backed up, applied again through Wisconsin in Oct 03. Currently labor is with Chicago. H-1 was expiring on Dec 1st 03. Applied for renewal in June 03, approved (lawyer made a mistake and renewed for only one year, filed amendment in Oct 03 and got approval in Jan 03)

Stamping in Ottawa.
Made an appointment with using the nvars site. Ottawa was easily available. Made appointment on Jan 21st for Feb 9th, (they also had open slots for Feb 2nd and 3rd).
Got the appointment letter from the embassy in a week.
Went on line and filled out the DS-156 with the Bar Code and the DS -157.Note: I Did mention on the DS-156 that my Green Card had been filled.
Went to the Canadian Consulate in New York. Got there at 9.30 am, Showed them the appointment letter. They issued me a visa.
Flew to Ottawa on Sunday Feb 8th.
My appointment at the embassy was at 9.30am monday Feb 9th.
Showed up at the embassy at 9.20am was let in , (Only 3 people in front of me)
Paid the $100.00 Application fee. Was called to the window at excatly 9.30am. The lady took fingerprints of both my index fingers.
Asked me if I did have a US visa in my passport. Told her yes. She asked me how long I have been in the US. Told her all the details from above and showed her my previous I-797's. She asked me if I had my 129 I said yes and showed it to her. She glanced at it and told me to go pay the $50.00 issuance fee and come back with the receipt. Went back after paying the fee. Gave me a slip and told me to pick up the passport at 3.00pm.
I did carry all the necessary doc with me.
I had my pay stubs, W-2's,former H-1's, letter from employer, Bank Statements, education certificates. The only thing she looked at was the I-797 (you have to hand it to the person at the time of paying the application fee). I was out of the Embassy at 9.45pm
This was my experience.
There was a guy in the window next to me. He was also there for an H-1 renewal. The lady he was interviewing with asked him for all his docs. She was looking at his pay stubsm his W-2's and read the letter from his employer. She also asked him for all his education certificates. His degree was from India and she wanted to see his equivalancy documents. She asked him to explain to her what his job role was. She did issue him his visa. He was called about 2-3 min before me and was told to pay the Renewal fee 2-3 min after me.
The appointment letter does say that it will take upto 3 days, but everybody was told to came back at 3.00pm same day.
If anybody is considering, consider going to canada, the st.louis route is backed up and rtakes way too long. Also Ottawa experience was smooth. Try and take the 9.30am appointment. they have 9.30 and 10.00 am slots. When I was leaving the Embassy at 9.45am there were quite a few people waiting outside.