Visa stamping experiences at TT Services, New Delhi ...

Prashant Sehgal

Registered Users (C)
Hello everybody,

I was pretty skeptical of going to TT Services to get my own H1 Visa renewed, and on top of that, I was getting married and also needed to apply for my Wife\'s H4 Visa. Since my vacation was limited, and I would have only 1 week left after the weeding, I decided to apply for both the Visas separately. I reached Delhi on the 10th of February (Sunday), and went to apply for my renewal the very next day.

Luckily, these days TT Services isn\'t as crowded as some people had told me it was. First I went to their basement, where they examine your documents. Instead of checking all the documents at once, every time they find a mistake, they will tell you to go and correct it, and then make you stand in line once again. Then finally, they will give you a folder with pockets to arrange all your documents in, and an envelope to write your name and address on. When you\'ve done arranging it, you again get back in the line, they look at it, and give you a token number.

A board above displays the current number in each category (web applicants, general applicants, travel agents, etc.). Once your number comes, you go upstairs, where a guy at the reception again examines (more like scrutinizes) all of your documents. He will then tell you to take a seat, and will call you when your turn comes. You then go to one of the counters where someone will collect all the documents and fees, and print out a receipt for you. You can use the numbers on this receipt to call them up and find the status of your Passport.

All in all, it was a pretty smooth process, and I received my Passport back (along with the Visa stamp) on 15th morning. In case any of you are also planning to go there for your Visa stamping, here are a few tips to help you:

-- Try to take an appointment in advance over their web-site – you can also walk in and apply at any time, but the number of web applicants is much smaller (about one-third), and your token number will be called much before the other this way.
-- If you download the application from the web, make sure you print it back-to-back, an application on 2 different pages is unacceptable (if your printer doesn’t support this kind of printing, you could print it on 2 different pages, and then Xerox one on back of the other one).
-- They are very particular about the picture that accompanies your application – make sure that it is “non-Polaroid”, and taken with a light background (white, light blue or light gray). They are not too choosy about the photograph size – any normal passport sized picture should be okay.
-- Write “N/A” in each and every field in the application where there is no other entry.
-- Write your Passport number, Name, Address and Telephone number on the back of each draft.
-- You will only receive your Passport and the original I-797 back through courier – all other documents will be kept by the Embassy. So, make sure that you include only copies of documents like your degrees and certificates, even though in some cases, the TT Services folders asks you to insert the Originals.
-- Make sure you ask the person at the counter how long it is taking on an average for applications for your type of Visa – mine told me 3-4 days, and I received my Visa on the 4th day.

Also, since this forum doesn’t allow messages beyond a certain length, I am posting details about my Wife’s application below as a reply to this original message.

Hope that helps – Prashant.

Visa stamping experiences at TT Services, New Delhi (continued) ...

I took care of all of the above issues when I went to apply for my Wife’s H4 Visa a couple of days after our wedding. I had to stand in line just once, and the whole process took only a few minutes. Unfortunately, instead of receiving the Visa, we received back all the documents on the 3rd day, with a letter stating that this case fell under their section 221(G), and she needed to apply personally at the Embassy, along with additional documents. The list of documents they had asked for included our complete wedding album, and 3 other documents that I had already submitted along with her original application (don’t these people go through the applications properly).

Anyway, since I couldn’t extend my vacation anymore, I had to leave for the US over the weekend, and my Wife went to the Embassy yesterday. They had asked her to come for an interview between 12 and 12:30 PM on any day between Monday and Thursday. She reached there at 11 AM, but her turn didn’t come until 5:30 PM, when the Visa officer went through the wedding album thoroughly, and told her that her Visa has been approved, without even collecting most of the other documents that are generally required for an H4 Visa (like copies of LCA, I-129, and my Passport). She finally received her Passport with the Visa today.

Hope that helps – Prashant.

What documents you submitted?

Hi Prashant

Thanks a ton for posting this out here, you are a great help. I am going for visa stamping next week to Delhi. I am taking the following documents, let me know if you think I have missed something:

- Letter from Employer for Visa office.
- Letter about my vacation from Manager
- I-797 Original
- I-129 Certified copy, LCA Certified copy
- Degrees & Mark sheets.
- Marriage Certificate
- Copy of I-94
- U.S. Tax Returns
- Latest Pay Stubs
- Work Experience Letter.

Thanks a lot
nk

All that that I submitted at TT Services ...

Here is a detailed list of items that I submitted for my own H1B Visa renewal:

- My Passport
- A passport-sized color photograph
- Completed application forms DS-156 and DS-157
- A draft for Rs 2205 for the application fee
- A draft for Rs 3675 for the visa issuance fee
- Rs 400 in cash for the TT Services fee
- Original Form I-797
- Certified copy of Form I-129
- Certified copy of LCA
- Original Job experience letter from my Employer
- Copy of University Degree certificate
- Attested copy of my University transcripts

And here is what all that I submitted for my Wife\'s (1st time) H4 Visa application:

- Her Passport
- A passport-sized color photograph
- Completed application form DS-156
- A draft for Rs 2205 for the application fee
- A draft for Rs 3675 for the visa issuance fee
- Rs 400 in cash for the TT Services fee
- Copy of the H1B Visa in my Passport
- Copy of my Form I-797
- Certified copy of my Form I-129
- Certified copy of my LCA
- Original Job experience letter from my Employer
- Copy of my University Degree certificate
- Attested copy of my University transcripts
- Copy of all the pages of my Passport
- Copy of our Marriage Certificate (They later called her in to see the original)
- 5 Wedding photographs (They later called her in to see the complete Wedding album)
- Wedding Invitaiion Cards from both the sides
- Copies of my Paystubs for the last 6 months
- Copies of my Bank statements for the last 6 months

Hope that helps - Prashant.

Prashant, please answer these - thanks

Congrates Prashant. Thanks for this detailed posting. This really helps. I am in the same boat. I am going on 2 weeks vacation next week. And will be facing same problems in Delhi. Can you answer these questions?

1. You say that your wife had gone for stamping, a couple of days after wedding. How? My fiancee inquired in delhi. And she was told that it takes 3-10 days to get the marriage registration certificate. And if you spend a few thousand rupees, you can get it in 2 days. How long did it take for you?

2. For H4 Visa, you need a letter from employer stating that a visa be issued for your wife. Did you employer give such a letter even before your marriage? I mean you were not married when you left USA to India. Then, was your employer ready to give such a letter?

3. Where did you take the picture? Because I have seen that most of the photoshops take the picture on polaroid camera.

4. Did you take the pictures of your work place?

5. Unfortunately, your wife had to spend time waiting in line at the consulate. But can\'t we take appointments over the web now?

6. Do you know if they take draft in dollars issued by a US bank? Can i take the drafts in dollars from here? (To save time there in India)

7. A bit stupid question. But can you tell me what are I-797 and I-129? The green form that we get from INS reads "case type I129". So, is this I129? Then what is I797.

8. A bit out of topic question. Did you have ticket for your wife? If yes, then did you have to pay extra to pospone the dates?

Thanks in adavance.

Your Answers ...

Dear gwaliorwasi,

Here are your answers:

1. I got married on a Friday (02/22), and went to the Registrar\'s office on the following Monday morning (02/25). We spent about 3-4 hours there, and were able to get the certificate issued the very same afternoon. Since I live in Noida, I went to the local office there, which is MUCH less crowded than the one in Delhi, and then of course, a few extra bucks helped speed up the process even further.

2. The letter from the Employer does not need to state anything about your Wedding or your Wife - it is a standard letter that verifies your own employment, it’s length, and your salary.

3. Most of the photo studious in Delhi still offer non-Polaroid passport-sized photos, which they give back in 1-2 days. Some of the more advanced ones now offer a digital version, which cost a little more, but gives you a set of pictures while you wait.

4. Pictures of your work place are needed only for a first time H-1B Visa – mine was a renewal.

5. You can take an appointment over the Web now, but so can hundreds of others, which results in a big crowd at the Embassy. Moreover, in our case (221.G), you do not even need an appointment, since the 12-12:30 PM time slot is reserved for you. But if a lot of people show up for that category, then they try to accommodate all of them.

6. As far as I know, they accept drafts only in Indian Rupee amounts.

7. The I-129 is the form that you (or your lawyer) submitted to the INS - so, you won’t have the original for this - only a copy, which you should get certified by your lawyer. The I-797 is the green form that the INS sends you - that actual name of the form is in the bottom left corner - the “case type I129” elsewhere refers to the fact that this case was initiated by a I129 application.

8. The ticket was the big problem - there are no tickets available on any flight these days. Changing the date is no big problem, and levies a small penalty. So, I got the older ticket cancelled, and am now trying to get the first available ticket on any Airline that we can get.

Thanks Prashant, will ask more later

Thank you so much prashant for that detailed reply. And that too promptly..

Your answers help a lot. I\'ll start collecting documents today and will ask you more later.. Thanks again.

Just a small question. Is it required to have I129 certified by lawyer? Actually, my company is all american. I am one of the first H1B guys here. The lawyer here does know much about H1. And is usually hesitant to give me copies of these documents.. Now I am not sure if he will certify it. Can I take non-certified copies?

thanks again.

I-129 certified copy ...

The American Embassy or TT Services don\'t explicitly ask for certified copies of these documents, and I\'m pretty sure that they will also accept just plain copies. The only reason that I submitted certified copies was because that\'s the way my lawyer sent them to me.

Your best bet could be calling up the TT Services inquiry number in Delhi, to see if they have a preferance.

certifed means...?

I am going to India in next week and I need to get stamped. I got all I-129s and LCAs from my employer. But What do you mean by certified copies of I-129 and LCA? My h1-B was filed directly by company HR. Who will certify them? Does we really need certified copies?

Marrige cert at Noida

Hi,
Great info. you have provided. Am in for the same in a week. Could you please let me know the Marriage cert process at Noida as I will be going there. I checked there are agents who take 5000Rs and then they say it will be done the same day only if the signing authority (SDM) is there, could you let me know where and how the extra bucks could help to get the marriage certificate on the same day ...
thanks ashrit

Noida Registrar ...

Dear ashrit,

My father and my father-in-law had made some arrangments with someone even before I reached India, due to which we were able to go directly to the SDM\'s office, and get the whole process completed within a few hours. I\'m not sure about the whole process, but the amount of money involved was much less. I\'ll ask them about what they did and who they went through, and will try to get back to you soon.

Thaks Prashant, your posts are very clear and helpful...

My question is here, If you can help,
On h1bresources site that you need to send the affidevit of support for the H4 visa applicant..
I my kid\'s case, she got the H4 visa with me when i got my H1B visa, but she didn\'t come US with me and her visa got expired in India in sep\'2001. Now I have got my H1B revalidated and I want her to get the visa again, as she is in India, Do I have to send the affidevit for support form for her?
Your help is really appreciated,Thanks

Almost similar situation but lotsa questions?

Hi Prashant,
  I went through all the posting in this thread and found them extremely useful.I am very very skeptical about visa revalidation in india but going though your post has certainly helped.I had a couple of questions which I thouht you might be able to help me with:
1.what is the web site address where I can take the appointments from for TT services in delhi?
2.The photograph that I have on my passport and the current stamped VISA are old (meaning 3-4 years)...so what I am assuming is that they want your recent photograps?
3.what is the sample format of the letter that I have to take from my employer...meaning it should talk about my experience and my need in the company or it should talk about the number of employees and the funding of the company (I work for a well funded startup...pretty rare nowaday :) ....the basic question would be that what is the intent of the letter that I have to carry?
4.Someone mentioned in one of the posts that he was also carrying a letter about vacation from their manager....do we need that?
5.I will be landing in delhi but that is not the end of the journey for me as my hometown is in UP.So what would be the address and tel number that I need to give at the TT services? or it is advisable to stay in delhi for a while and get over this stuff first before moving on?
6.I have 2 I-94s right now.The first one was when I was working for company A and entered the US and the second one was attached to the new I-797 petition from the company B.which one do i need to submit a copy of? Besides I have to give the I-94 at the airport when I am leaving US and will be issued new one when I reenter.So which one am I supposed to give?
I know thats a lot of questions but I want to make sure that all my paperwork is okay before I leave the country keeping the present economy in mind.
Thanx in advance
-Vishu

followup question

Looked again carefully at my documents and noticed that the 1-129 and LCA copy that I have do not have anything like certification whereas my previous H1 petition\'s I-129 and LCA have a stamp from my lawyer.Is that what we mean by certification? So do I have to get a copy of the documents certified from my lawyer?
Thanx in advance
-Vikash

Is PCC required for H1 extension at New Delhi

Do I need to apply for PCC as I would be going for H1 renewal in New Delhi.

No ...

A PCC Is currently required only if you apply for an Immigrant Visa (Green Cards) - you won\'t need them for an H1 or any other Non-immigrant Visa.

H1 Stamp First time from B1 to H1 from London Consulate.....Urgent

Hey
Guys I went through most of the postings in this thread and find them pretty useful. But my situation is a bit different and I would say a bit complicated for me atleast
(1) I entered US in 1998 as a visitor to visit my sister
(2) Filed an extension after 3 months for 6 months
(3) Applied for an H1 within the tourist extension
(4) Visited Canada to get H1 stamped: rejected ( Jan 2000)
(5) Tranferred H1 now held by a bluechip company and I-94 valid till Nov-2004.

Keeping in mind the above points I have a slight situation. My current employer wants me to travel to London for a couple of weeks. Now my questions is: Is that a good idea coz my Lawyers (Very big frim in NY) sent me the following information and say there should not be a problem. But I spoke to an Indian lawyer who suggested not to go if it can be avoided. To me it feels like apart for me being stuck for a couple of weeks there is no other downside to it. Could someone get back to me and give me some advice on how dangerous or troublesome this is and whats the worse that can heepen. Below is a lsit of the documents which my lawyers sent and is also available on the travel site:

$45 Application Fee (to be pre-paid to the U.S. Consulate\'s account,
   London office will assist)
   $75 Reciprocity Fee;
   DS-156 (this form will be provided to him by our London office, it is
   specific to the U.S. Consulate in London);
   DS-157(this form will be provided to him by our London office, it is
   specific to the U.S. Consulate in London);
   Original Form I-797, H-1B Approval Notice;
   Copy of the H-1B petition filed by employer on his behalf;
   Original transcripts;
   Original employment verification letter from employer (this letter should be
   on company letterhead, indicate his job title, salary, H-1B status, and
   his continued employment with the employer in the U.S, and signed by HR or his
   manager);
   One passport size color photograph; and
   Original passport valid for at least six months.

hi prashant, plz answer

I have read a couple of messages recently mentioning that "certified" copies of LCA and I129 are required for new H1.

I will be travelling to Mumbai next month to get my H1 visa stamped (via drop-box). My lawyer did not mention anything about carrying "certified copies" (except I797 which should be original).

Do I need to take certified copies of LCA and I129? If yes, how do I get them done because the originals were submitted to the INS when a petition was applied for on my behalf.
Moreover, the company now has new lawyers (different from the ones who filed my petition last year). I can\'t imagine them saying that the copies I have are certified without ever having seen the originals. So does anyone have any ideas?

Hi Siddharth ...

When I asked my lawyers for copies of LCA and I-129, they had automatically sent me certified copies of both, which I submitted to the drop-box in New Delhi, although there were people there who were submitting non-certified copies too. I am not sure if they specifically ask people for certified copies, but I would still advice you to try to get certified copies instead of just plain copies.

As for the lawyers, even if the company has changed lawyers since you had filed your petition, I\'m sure they keep copies of all the documents filed through their firm. You can contact them, and ask them to look into the matter. That would be your best option.