Virginia Tech - Increase everybody's stakes!

nyc8300

Registered Users (C)
I am surprised to see immigration issues are being neglected by america. Vir.Tech happened because one guy had no stake in his life or in his relatives' lives.
How does that work with 20 million illegal immigrants living in the country and all the legal immigrants who seem to be neglected. Not to try and push an agenda but America would be better off making friends with people who live nearby rather than fighting them.
It seems that people are trying to protect their personal space, houses etc and not care about anything else. Don't know how safe is that....

What are you rambling about? If anything this psychopath was a product of America. He came to this country at 8 years old :rolleyes: Those around him tried to help him , but obviously he was not interested in the help. :confused:

I don't think he is a psychopath. Psychos don't do mass killings. He definitely had an agenda and he planned. From his perspective, he had a reason, but doing mass murder is never justifyable.

The only thing that worries is how media can contribute to stereotyping. The emphasis media puts on 'Resident alien from Korea" goes deep into hearts of people.

Just like how Al Queda folks came on student visas and took local training and used local resources, the media stereotypes this guy also as an alien coming in and killing locals.

Also notice that a lot of foreign students also got killed and their names are not mentioned anywhere, it is only US citizens whose names are shown on CNN etc...

All this contributes to anti immigration. All this makes people think imigrants must not be welcomed

He was definitely a deranged psychopath with paranoid delusions and a history of mental problems. Long before this incident he had already been evaluated and identified as a danger to himself and others. He should have been in a psychiatric hospital.

Lesson ..

I am surprised to see immigration issues are being neglected by america. Vir.Tech happened because one guy had no stake in his life or in his relatives' lives.
How does that work with 20 million illegal immigrants living in the country and all the legal immigrants who seem to be neglected. Not to try and push an agenda but America would be better off making friends with people who live nearby rather than fighting them.
It seems that people are trying to protect their personal space, houses etc and not care about anything else. Don't know how safe is that....

nyc8300,

Your post is unfair. You cannot draw a comparison between a lunatic who was raised here and mostly hard working immigrants (legal or illegal). An insane person is different from a desperate person and I would be hard pressed to believe that any sane immigrant would go crazy based on immigration issues. It might affect our lives but it will not push people over the edge.

If there is anything to be learnt from this senseless act it is that life is fragile and can be taken away in one mad/horrific instance. There is no doubt that we immigratns have a lot of problems but we need to be thankful for each day that we do live. We need to make the most of it and when depression/anxiety creeps in we need to weight our problems in light of so many other real world problems that exist. This may sound to philosophical but that is the way I have learnt to cope with this immigration system.

As for the media coverage of this incident. It is truly disgusting to see that they are latching onto the one fact that this guy was a PR born in South Korea. As chanduv already pointed out, this guy came here when he was 8 years old and his behavior portrays all the ills of this society. If anything, he behaved like a classic American pyschopath. The fact that he was born in South Korea has nothing to do with anything. It only sheds light on how sensitive this whole socitey has become towards immigrants in general. Immigrants have become easy targets these days. It is sad to see the media/politicians/general public blaming/highlighting immigration in almost every negative issue.

regards,

saras

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not comparing immigrants to the guy and I don't think somebody will go bonkers because his GC is pending. I am just challenging the american way of seeing every problem outside the immediate circle as non issues. Americans are living with so many immigrants who have no stake in the country. The problem with this guy was the same. He did not have a stake in either his life or his parents lives.
Unless America lets immigrants get to live their normal lifes, buy houses and come out of the shadows, they are living with strangers around themselves.
It can't be good to have strangers living in your house. Either you kick them out or embrace them or give them an outhouse to stay in.

I hate the south korean slant given by the media....

nyc8300,

Your post is unfair. You cannot draw a comparison between a lunatic who was raised here and mostly hard working immigrants (legal or illegal). An insane person is different from a desperate person and I would be hard pressed to believe that any sane immigrant would go crazy based on immigration issues. It might affect our lives but it will not push people over the edge.

If there is anything to be learnt from this senseless act it is that life is fragile and can be taken away in one mad/horrific instance. There is no doubt that we immigratns have a lot of problems but we need to be thankful for each day that we do live. We need to make the most of it and when depression/anxiety creeps in we need to weight our problems in light of so many other real world problems that exist. This may sound to philosophical but that is the way I have learnt to cope with this immigration system.

As for the media coverage of this incident. It is truly disgusting to see that they are latching onto the one fact that this guy was a PR born in South Korea. As chanduv already pointed out, this guy came here when he was 8 years old and his behavior portrays all the ills of this society. If anything, he behaved like a classic American pyschopath. The fact that he was born in South Korea has nothing to do with anything. It only sheds light on how sensitive this whole socitey has become towards immigrants in general. Immigrants have become easy targets these days. It is sad to see the media/politicians/general public blaming/highlighting immigration in almost every negative issue.

regards,

saras

I am not comparing immigrants to the guy and I don't think somebody will go bonkers because his GC is pending. I am just challenging the american way of seeing every problem outside the immediate circle as non issues. Americans are living with so many immigrants who have no stake in the country. The problem with this guy was the same. He did not have a stake in either his life or his parents lives.
Unless America lets immigrants get to live their normal lifes, buy houses and come out of the shadows, they are living with strangers around themselves.
It can't be good to have strangers living in your house. Either you kick them out or embrace them or give them an outhouse to stay in.

I hate the south korean slant given by the media....
so you are saying...........that maybe we immigrants are not living a normal life.........and we should be given GC immediately so that we can become part of the society..........what an argument.....i wish i can present this to lawmakers (give me GC else you know what i will go crazy...)

dude this guy was part of the society....i just dont know why he did not become a citizen yet.....i know that he had his GC renewed in 2003.....

so stop comparing him to immigrants...

So your point is no GC means no normal life? oh common....i know many ppl. who's GC was pending for quite longtime because of retrogression, but still they are living normal life, planning kids, buying houses, changing jobs and living almost an American life.

so you are saying...........that maybe we immigrants are not living a normal life.........and we should be given GC immediately so that we can become part of the society..........what an argument.....i wish i can present this to lawmakers (give me GC else you know what i will go crazy...)
Yes, they should either give us a GC immediately or kick us out immediately. Either make your guests feel like family, or kick them out before long or don't let them in to begin with.

When people are jerked and dragged around for years by the immigration process, they become resentful and feel like outsiders even after they get the GC and even citizenship years later. The longer I wait, the less I like this country, and the less I want to become a citizen.

That's not to say that was the cause of this madman's mental problems. But the messed-up immigration process is part of the reason why many immigrants don't want to identify with the US and bond with their community.

Yes, they should either give us a GC immediately or kick us out immediately. Either make your guests feel like family, or kick them out before long or don't let them in to begin with.

When people are jerked and dragged around for years by the immigration process, they become resentful and feel like outsiders even after they get the GC and even citizenship years later. The longer I wait, the less I like this country, and the less I want to become a citizen.

That's not to say that was the cause of this madman's mental problems. But the messed-up immigration process is part of the reason why many immigrants don't want to identify with the US and bond with their community.
jacko.....i think only 20% of us will pack our bags and leave..........if we are told that we wont get GC....

because right now except for EB3-EB2-India/China most everyone is doing not so bad.....

of course 10% of people get stuck in namecheck for 2-3 years...

thats a small percentage compared to the huge processing they are having to do with little help from the government....

I do beleive that they should give us a quick decision....(max 6 months for the complete process).........but i am afraid this is a wrong pretense to debate this issue.........this thread is sounding like.......we are all going crazy because we are not getting quick decision......its like a threat

that means....they should stop the H1B program or any other Temprary guest worker program......because thats the root cause.

but its true that a messy immigration system is not good.....it keeps us hanging in suspense for 2-5 years......

i know many people who are coming in still on H1B visa.........knowing that there is not chance of getting a GC.........but i think they may be at more peace since they know for sure that they dont stand a chance..........we all committed to this life assuming that GC is just a formality a matter of 2-3 years....

FYI!! In msn.com, they show pictures of all 32 victims and their stories.
One of the victim is Partahi Lombantoruan. He was from my country. He was going to become a profesor in civil engineering. His parents sold their house in order to support him financially.
The murderer may have nothing to lose but his victims have goals and dreams and they all looking forward to a brighter future ahead either for their own or for their family or for both.
The murderer's act is selfish. Immigrant or not, we are all fellow human being who has options and everyday we make a choice. The murderer took all options from those 32 people by point a gun and pull the trigger.
I hope God forgives him.

I think we see a lot of alienation of Muslims in countries like Britain etc. At the moment that is not a large problem here but so many illeglas in the country. I don't think that adds to safety for anybody. Especially when the country is at war with Iran etc we need to sort out our house here first.

Another trend in the US of blaming everything to the outside is not good either. It's China for the bad economy/currency manipulation/job losses, India for cheap techies, South Korea in VTech. I have never heard Lou Dobbs say that Americans are getting sloppy and uncompetitive.... Time to acknowledge and rectify the house!

Have you guys even considered - the open Gun laws - as the reason to blame?

One crazy guy - for all the stupid reasons goes legally to buy 2 guns and decided to use it in 4 rooms in his school....

the problem is two things - he is a mental case and open gun laws....

WHEN U HAVE OPEN GUN LAWS - PLEASE DON'T EVER ACT SURPRISED - IF SOMEBODY DECIDES TO USE THEM!

WHAT DO YOU EXPECT??? THIS COUNTRY GIVES AWAY MILLIONS OF GUNS AWAY TO PEOPLE EACH YEAR? ISN'T IT IMPROBABLE THAT ONE OF THEM (IN THE MILLION) IS A WACKO?? IT'S LIKE A TIME BOMB...WILL HAPPEN AGAIN - THE ONLY QUESTION IS WHEN?? IT'S EASY TO STUMBLE ACROSS A WACKO, ONCE IN A WHILE, IN A POPULATION OF MILLION PEOPLE!

I agree. Crazy guy and open gun law are responsible for this cause.

Have you guys even considered - the open Gun laws - as the reason to blame?

One crazy guy - for all the stupid reasons goes legally to buy 2 guns and decided to use it in 4 rooms in his school....

the problem is two things - he is a mental case and open gun laws....

WHEN U HAVE OPEN GUN LAWS - PLEASE DON'T EVER ACT SURPRISED - IF SOMEBODY DECIDES TO USE THEM!

WHAT DO YOU EXPECT??? THIS COUNTRY GIVES AWAY MILLIONS OF GUNS AWAY TO PEOPLE EACH YEAR? ISN'T IT IMPROBABLE THAT ONE OF THEM (IN THE MILLION) IS A WACKO?? IT'S LIKE A TIME BOMB...WILL HAPPEN AGAIN - THE ONLY QUESTION IS WHEN?? IT'S EASY TO STUMBLE ACROSS A WACKO, ONCE IN A WHILE, IN A POPULATION OF MILLION PEOPLE!

nyc8300, you need to get yourself a hobby. You're spending way too much time here :rolleyes: The media can sometimes go over board, but I bet the news would have been presented the same way in any other country if a foreign national committed such a crime . Of course it may have been treated differently had the psycho obtained citizenship. The fact is he did, stop mixing apples with oranges:D

You are right. Too much time on immigration.com. Switching off!...:D

nyc8300, you need to get yourself a hobby. You're spending way too much time here :rolleyes: The media can sometimes go over board, but I bet the news would have been presented the same way in any other country if a foreign national committed such a crime . Of course it may have been treated differently had the psycho obtained citizenship. The fact is he did, stop mixing apples with oranges:D

maybe uscis will start making us taking psychiatric examination before granting us the greencard.

maybe uscis will start making us taking psychiatric examination before granting us the greencard.

Here is the new list:
  1. labor Certification 1 year
  2. I-140 6 months
  3. Background check 5 years
  4. I485 6 years
  5. Psychiatric evaluation we all will be crazy by then:eek: