Very important about getting US passport without original nat cert

thrix

Registered Users (C)
My mother is USC since 04/04/07. Same day she applied for US passport at local postal office. Postal clerk took application with certificate and submit application for routine service. She told us to wait 8-10 weeks for a passport to arrive. My mother made a photo copy of this certificate. Last week we found out that she must go abroad this week. Passport was not made yet. My mother called passport agency and they said it will not arrive on time and suggested to go to national passport agency to get passport in person in a few hours. My mother made an interview for today (1st available) and today we went to national passport agency.

They accept regular copy (not naturalized or certified) of cert of naturalization as a proof of citizenship. They also required to see itinerary, photo ID and to pay $60 cash more for expedite service by cash, check, money order or credit card. They gladly accepted copy and said it was very good to bring it. They also were happy, because of passport locater #. Woman just typed this number and said it's all done and come back in 2 hours to pick up a passport, but... passport is valid just for 1 year. My mother can renew it for free with special application she received and she must attach that passport to the application. This can be done by mail. She can also apply for rush service, but must add $60. Then she will receive 10 year passport.

Nat cert will be send back within 2-3 months and woman suggested to send application for renew after receiving nat cert.

Thanks

Good to know that you can apply for a passport with a copy of naturalization certificate. Thanks for the information

Good to know that you can apply for a passport with a copy of naturalization certificate. Thanks for the information

Maybe in this case, but bear in mind there was already a passport application "in the system", which presumably meant the natz cert had been checked by the post office clerk prior to submission.

You guys are very lucky person in the world.
My priority date was Nov. 13, 2006 at VSC and I still did not receive any IL from them.
It is sad to wait and wait and nothing seems to happen. I guess I am the bad luck person in the world.

You guys are very lucky person in the world.
My priority date was Nov. 13, 2006 at VSC and I still did not receive any IL from them.
It is sad to wait and wait and nothing seems to happen. I guess I am the bad luck person in the world.

Mine is Spe 19th and I still havent recived mine.Chill bro you got ways to go.;)

Wait a minute - I'm confused!

.....but... passport is valid just for 1 year. My mother can renew it for free with special application she received and she must attach that passport to the application. This can be done by mail. She can also apply for rush service, but must add $60. Then she will receive 10 year passport....

I don't understand how a passport can be valid for only 1 yr? Didn't know there was such a thing. I thought all passports applications had a standard $97 fee ($55 appl. fee+12 sec. fee+30 processing fee) - and were valid for 10 years (5 yrs. for minors under 16).

Please enlighten me :confused:

Probably only valid for a year because it was issued without proof of citizenship due to an emergency.

When the poster's mom was issued the passport, she did not have an original naturalization certificate and the reason she needed the passport immediately was because she had an emergency. It's probably similar to getting short-validity travel documents at US consulates abroad when you lose your passport. Except in this case she was able to get an actual passport because she was at a facility that had the authority to issue passports. Consulates don't have that authority.

Maybe in this case, but bear in mind there was already a passport application "in the system", which presumably meant the natz cert had been checked by the post office clerk prior to submission.

Woman from passport agency said it's possible to apply wiht a copy of nat cert, even if you original was not sent by postal office with passport application. You can only do that if you don't have original nat cert and need passport very fast. If you applied and sent original passport, they will just find it in computer to cancel that application.

I don't understand how a passport can be valid for only 1 yr? Didn't know there was such a thing. I thought all passports applications had a standard $97 fee ($55 appl. fee+12 sec. fee+30 processing fee) - and were valid for 10 years (5 yrs. for minors under 16).

Please enlighten me :confused:

It's valid only for 1 year. It's regular passport with endorsement on last page.

It's valid only for 1 year. It's regular passport with endorsement on last page.

The question is WHY. Why is it valid for only 1 yr? Did you pay $97? If so, then you got robbed!

Is 1caliN400 correct on his assumptions or do yuo have a better explanation?

The question is WHY. Why is it valid for only 1 yr? Did you pay $97? If so, then you got robbed!

Is 1caliN400 correct on his assumptions or do yuo have a better explanation?

My mother paid $97 on 04/04/07 - the day she applied at post office + $60 for expedite issue of passport at Passport Agency.

AND AS I WROTE BEFORE - she can renew it FOR FREE, she received a special form for it and doesn't have to pay anything, except shipping costs of an application. She will get 10 year passport.

It's because of the copy of nat cert probably.

11/13/2006 - N-400 Priority Date
12/04/2007 - N-400 Finger Prints
05/30/2007 - IL received from VSC
07/12/2007 - N-400 Interview at Buffalo NY District
08/09/2007 - Oath ceremony
08/09/2007 - Applied Expedited Passport
08/14/2007 - Passport On-line Status as a pending
08/27/2007 - Patient to wait for the PP to arrive