Validity of NORI certificate from India

agrawals

Registered Users (C)
Dear All,

I got all three NORI certificate from India but in the meantime my university annouced J1 extension for five year and they already started the process.
I am affraid if I will apply for waiver then now there are more chances to get it denied because I have two more years in my J1 and my extension has already been filed.

IF I will keep NORI certificate for two year and then send to Indian embassy will they consider those 2 year old nori certificate. I had called Indian embassy but they could not tell me anything about this.

I would greatly appreciate if any one could give me some direction what should I do.

Thanks all in advance.

Did you find answer for this? I am also same boat.

I know a friend who obtained the three NORIs from the various Indian authorities - these were obtained in late 2006 and early 2007 (so two years old now). She waited to apply for her J-1 waiver until recently and sent the NORIs to the appropriate Indian consulate (praying they won't make a fuss about the two year old letters). Lucky for her, the CGI approved it and issued a Waiver Certificate based on those two year old NORIs.

The best thing to do therefore, is to go ahead and send the NORIs and the passports to the CGI explaining to them that your situation has not changed (that you are in the same program as the one you entered in and are not getting any funding from the Indian government). Hopefully this works. If they insist on newer letters form India then it is an additional 2-4 months delay in the whole process. Someone needs to make this work better for everyone.

AP

I got one letter in 2011 and two in 2012 from India and applied in 2015 for NORI stage III. I was provided the NORI certificate. So I guess the three letters are valid indefinitely.