Valid TN - Returning to US from Canada

Joeykays

Looks like the border closure agreement has been extended by a month. Been seeing a lot of data points on the thread related to obtaining new TNs. Any data points from individuals that have valid TNs and crossing back to the US from Canada?

Lets see if anyone can post their experience.

I understand only “Non-essential travel” is not permitted, which includes travel that is considered tourism or recreational in nature.
Under CBP border travel restrictions, only essential travel is permitted across the U.S.-Mexico and U.S.-Canada borders, which includes travel by U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, foreign nationals traveling to work in the United States, and those using the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) for business travel.

I understand TN status can travel, under the "foreign nationals traveling to work in the US" are allowed.

Just a note, the restrictions on crossing from Canada to the US only apply when travelling across the land border.

When flying into the US from Canada, the purpose of the travel does not need to be essential. Air Canada says you can still check in as usual provided that you haven't been to one of the banned countries (I believe those are China, Iran, the Schengen area, UK, and Ireland).

Jixca - Thanks for sharing your experience. Seems Rainbow bridge officer have given tough time to cross.

I have a similar question. I have a valid TN with plenty of time until renewal.

I reside in the US near NYC, and when the Coronavirus situation started my employer implemented a work-from-home policy. Given that I live near NYC and the dire forecasts that we being made at that time, I judged it to be in the best interest of my safety to stay with my family in Canada until things settled down.

Things have settled down now, it would seem. Office buildings are included in the current phase of reopening in my state.

I would like to return to the US. Do you think I would have any issues/concerns crossing? Am I better to wait until the border officially reopens? Do you think I will need some letter from my employer or just the State's policy that offices are allowed to reopen or I am good to go just on the merits of a valid TN and the fact that I live in the US / have a US-plated vehicle?

@ontnb4 , to me, it should not be an issue. You live and work in US under TN. Bring an employer letter if possible, cannot hurt. You may have quarantine rules in New York state, arriving from Canada.
You can call them in advance and see what they say. But it appears you do see some variation between CBP officers.
https://www.cbp.gov/contact/ports/buffalo
please post your experience.