• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Vaccinations.

usamommy2015

Hello. Recently I asked a by the way question on the forum and got a response that scared me a little.
Basically it asks
Do you have documentation to establish that you have received vaccinations in accordance with US law?
I have confirmed with my mother that I have received all my vaccinations (she even remembers the doctors name). I work in metal and mining so I get a tetanus shot atleast once an year. My daughter has also received all her vaccinations. I also knew that if need be, I will be able to repeat all my vaccinations during medicals.
Note: I will not be able to take MMR as I am pregnant and I already got chicken pox so I don't need that one.
My question is is what I did considered fraud as I don't have the actual innoculation booklets? I only have my yellow fever book.
For Dv 2016 how should they answer this question so they don't mess up?
Can I be disqualified for this?

Don't worry, you'll be fine. The question confuses a lot of people, but when you have your medical for the interview, the doctor will give you what is required ad waive what is needed to be for reasons such as pregnancy, illness etc. You won't be disqualified!

Don't worry, you'll be fine. The question confuses a lot of people, but when you have your medical for the interview, the doctor will give you what is required ad waive what is needed to be for reasons such as pregnancy, illness etc. You won't be disqualified!

I selected yes. So am I wrong?

Just to expand on this topic; if you're missing a vaccine from childhood (my vaccine record is en route from SA from my mom) and I go to the GP here in the uk and get it done (assuming they don't tell me no, since its the nhs and all that...) will that be permissible for the consulate appointed doc? Or does he still make you have them? Because a friend of mine won the dv a couple years ago and they were made to redo a lot (might even have been all) of their vaccines for both adults and the kids because they were past 6 months or some nonsense. Can anyone expand on this? Thanks!

Depends what the vaccines are. You can get age waivers for a lot of childhood ones. So I wouldn't go get a whole bunch which may end up being unnecessary.

However: the redo you are talking about is because the medicals expired. The London doctors seem unique in not requiring interview confirmation before making a medicals appointment, and at the same time not warning the applicants that the medicals have an expiry date... so be warned... That said they should not have had to redo the vaccines again, sounds odd..

Yeah I also thought so. Unless I got the wrong end of the stick. But I'm fairly certain they had a bunch of shots. They had theirs back in SA. I didn't have the tb or smallpox one. Will they make me have at least the tb one? I REALLY DON'T WANT IT :'(

Yeah I also thought so. Unless I got the wrong end of the stick. But I'm fairly certain they had a bunch of shots. They had theirs back in SA. I didn't have the tb or smallpox one. Will they make me have at least the tb one? I REALLY DON'T WANT IT :'(

There's no TB shot, there's a test. Every immigrant to the U.S. has to be tested.
Smallpox is eradicated...so it's not on the list of required vaccines. Is it?

There's no TB shot, there's a test. Every immigrant to the U.S. has to be tested.
So they do the PPD test for TB (it's the one where they inject you with a substance under the skin, and watch for a skin reaction), or is it just an x-ray?
The reason I'm asking is that the PPD will always comes back positive if you have taken the TB shot (called BCG, which does exist, but not used in the US) regardless whether you have TB or not.
I can't afford having a positive PPD (because everyone in my country gets the BCG as a kid) and have to do an 8-week culture, with my interview most likely in September.

So they do the PPD test for TB (it's the one where they inject you with a substance under the skin, and watch for a skin reaction), or is it just an x-ray?
The reason I'm asking is that the PPD will always comes back positive if you have taken the TB shot (called BCG, which does exist, but not used in the US) regardless whether you have TB or not.
I can't afford having a positive PPD (because everyone in my country gets the BCG as a kid) and have to do an 8-week culture, with my interview most likely in September.

Yes some panel doctors do the skin test (some do blood test to check for TB). If the induration from the skin test is > 5MM (if I'm not mistaken about the exact measurement), which they realize could be a false positive and could be as a result of having received the BCG vaccine, you will now be sent to do a chest x-ray. They wouldn't just jump into doing a culture test without the x-ray.

Yes some panel doctors do the skin test (some do blood test to check for TB). If the induration from the skin test is > 5MM (if I'm not mistaken about the exact measurement), which they realize could be a false positive and could be as a result of having received the BCG vaccine, you will now be sent to do a chest x-ray. They wouldn't just jump into doing a culture test without the x-ray.
You got that right, mom. The next step is supposed to be a chest x-ray following a positive PPD (which is > 15 mm, for low-risk individuals). And they must take into consideration the false positives especially in countries where BCG is administered routinely. But I was afraid they'd ask for cultures anyway.

You got that right, mom. The next step is supposed to be a chest x-ray following a positive PPD (which is > 15 mm, for low-risk individuals). And they must take into consideration the false positives especially in countries where BCG is administered routinely. But I was afraid they'd ask for cultures anyway.

Again to be clear, a culture is never requested without the X-ray having been done.

Not sure. Haven't looked yet. Well, I looked but there was a lonnnng price list of various shots and I thought that can't be right. Was like a full page long.

Hope they don't do the skin test here in London because our toddler had his bcg vaccine at birth.

Do they always do X-rays? I thought I read they do. Regardless of any other tests.

All adults get the x-rays. Kids under the age of 14 will mostly be exempt from both the blood tests and x-rays unless the panel physician thinks there is a good reason for them to be done.

All adults get the x-rays. Kids under the age of 14 will mostly be exempt from both the blood tests and x-rays unless the panel physician thinks there is a good reason for them to be done.

Really? Everyone in SA gets a TB test, the kids get the scratch test. I know SA is high risk for TB, but as it is a requirement on the IV medical I assumed it would be the same everywhere.

Susie if the kids get scratch tests then doesn't it flag a false positive with the fact all kids get the bcg done there from birth?

Really? Everyone in SA gets a TB test, the kids get the scratch test. I know SA is high risk for TB, but as it is a requirement on the IV medical I assumed it would be the same everywhere.

For the OC so far, the kids haven't had to do the scratch test, blood tests or xrays. Perhaps because we are low risk?

Actually only kids under the age of 2 are exempt from the TB test. All kids 2 years and above are required to be tested for TB (and in the case of kids under 2 who the doctor suspects has been exposed to TB, they are in that case also required to be tested).

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-693instr.pdf (p.6)

Applicants 2-14 years of age living in countries with a World Health Organization (WHO)-estimated tuberculosis incidence rate of ≥20 cases per 100,000 population should have a tuberculin skin test or an interferon gamma release assay.
http://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/pdf/tuberculosis-ti-2009.pdf