V visa+ In USA + file in MUmbai India

MeraGChaiKaha

Registered Users (C)
My sister came here in USA on V visa she is working here and Her husband filed her GC.

Now they got letter: The National Visa Center has completed its processing of your case and forwarded your file to the American Embassy/Consulate in MUMBAI which will contact you for further infromation in regards to your Visa interview.

Her priority date is APR 1999 (F2A) and currently they are interviewing Jan 1999.

Question:- They have to go back to India for interview or It can be done here since they are present here in USA?

Experts please give details.:confused:

Thanks in Advance

I would like to know the answer to this question . I will be in the same situation soon and I would like to know if I HAVE to go back to India to attend the IV interview . Did you sister apply from India or did she apply from here ?

No...she dont have to go back to india
Yes she can apply for adjustment of status.....and stay here..in the US... her greencard will be issued while she will stay inthe US..however there is filing fees of Ajustment of Status.....but she dont have to go for medical again..

Once you apply adjustment of status..you cannot leave this country untile greencard issued...

Here is the information

Who is Eligible?
To find out who may apply for permanent residence in the United States, please see eligibility information.

(Please note, your permanent residence status will be conditional if it is based on a marriage that was less than two years old on the day you were given permanent residence. For more information, please see How Do I Remove the Conditions on Permanent Resident Based on Marriage?.)

How Do I Apply?
To find out how you can apply to become a lawful permanent resident of the United States, please click here to see Application Procedures, which will help you identify what you need to do. After you submit your application materials, you will be asked to go to a USCIS office to answer questions about your applications.

Will I Get a Work Permit?
Applicants for adjustment to permanent resident status are eligible to apply for a work permit while their cases are pending. You should use USCIS Form I-765 to apply for a work permit. You do not need to apply for a work permit once you adjust to permanent resident status. As a lawful permanent resident, you should receive a permanent resident card that will prove that you have a right to live and work in the United States permanently. Please see How Do I Get a Work Permit? for more information.

Can I Travel Outside the United States?
If you are applying for adjustment to permanent resident status, you must receive advance permission to return to the United States if you are traveling outside the United States. This advance permission is called Advance Parole. If you do not obtain Advance Parole before you leave the country, you will abandon your application with USCIS and you may not be permitted to return to the United States. For more information, please see How Do I Get a Travel Document?.