• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Using Parents birth country for DV

kendracan

I will be applying for the 2021 Green Card Lottery, but I am a Canadian born citizen, which unfortunately is not an eligible country. However, both of my parents were born in Ireland, which is on the list of eligible countries. I know it says that I can assume Ireland as my "Native Country", but my question is, how do I go about doing that for the application/lottery entry? Will I need to get an Irish Passport and apply through the Irish Embassy, or is having my parents birth certificates/proof of birth country sufficient? I just don't want to go through the entire process to find out I missed a step or went about it the wrong way. Any help and information is greatly appreciated!

Where your parents temporarily visiting Canada when they gave birth to you, or are they Canadian Permanent residents?

They were living in Canada as permanent residents

Then that doesn’t meet the requirements, see bold below.

Second, you can be “charged” to the country of birth of either of your parents as long as neither of your parents was born in or a resident of your country of birth at the time of your birth. People are not generally considered residents of a country in which they were not born or legally naturalized, if they were only visiting, studying in the country temporarily, or stationed temporarily for business or professional reasons on behalf of a company or government of a country other than the one in which you were born.

This is in the diversity visa instructions, see number 2 on page 8 https://travel.state.gov/content/da...ations/DV-2020-Instructions-English.pdf#page8

Does anyone know if I were to get my Irish citizenship would there be a non immigrant work visa I could apply for? At the moment as a Canadian, really the only 2 ways for me to get a VISA to the US would be through marriage or a company sponsoring me. I’m wondering what alternative routes there are if any

A non-immigrant work visa (or an employment-based immigrant visa) IS through a company sponsoring you, regardless whether you are Canadian or Irish. Eligibility for a US work visa requires multiple qualifications.