USCIS Releases Projected Naturalization Processing Times

rick92

Volunteer Moderator
USCIS Releases Projected Naturalization Processing Times For Local Offices

Washington—U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) released today the projected times for local offices to complete processing of applications for citizenship from individuals who filed during the summer of 2007.

Last July, USCIS received 460,000 applications for naturalization. That was three times the record for any previous month. For the year, USCIS received 1.4 million naturalization applications, almost double the normal annual volume.

USCIS is hiring and training hundreds of additional immigration officers to adjudicate these cases. The agency is also conducting naturalization interviews on weekends, after normal business hours and in additional locations.

The processing times listed below provide a sense of how quickly a case may be processed if there are no complicating factors. Still, some cases will take longer to complete for such reasons as:

an applicant has been asked to submit additional information and their case is pending until they comply, or
an applicant fails the naturalization test and has 60 days to prepare before they are retested, or
the FBI name check is still in progress.

Projected Local USCIS Office Processing Times at end of September 2008

Office
Months

Office
Months

Agana, Guam

Newark, NJ

Albany, NY

Norfolk, VA

Albuquerque, NM

Oklahoma City

Anchorage, AK

Omaha, NE

Atlanta, GA

Orlando, FL

Baltimore, MD

Louisville, KY

Boise, ID

Manchester, NH

Boston, MA

Memphis, TN

Buffalo, NY

Miami, FL

Charleston, SC

Milwaukee, WI

Charlotte Amalie, VI

Mount Laurel, NJ

Charlotte, NC

New Orleans, LA

Chicago, IL

New York, NY

Cincinnati, OH

Newark, NJ

Cleveland, OH

Norfolk, VA

Columbus, OH

Oklahoma City, OK

Dallas, TX

Omaha, NE

Denver, CO

Orlando, FL

Des Moines, IA

Philadelphia, PA

Detroit, MI

Phoenix, AZ

El Paso, TX

Pittsburgh, PA

Fort Smith, AR

Portland, ME

Fresno, CA

Portland, OR

Harlingen, TX

Providence, RI

Hartford, CT

Reno, NV

Helena, MT

Sacramento, CA

Honolulu, HI

Salt Lake City, UT

Houston, TX

San Antonio, TX

Indianapolis, IN

San Diego, CA

Jacksonville, FL

San Francisco, CA

Kansas City, MO

San Jose, CA

Las Vegas, NV

San Juan, PR

Los Angeles, CA

Seattle, WA

Louisville, KY

Spokane, WA

Manchester, NH

St Albans, VT

Memphis, TN

St Louis, MO

Miami, FL

St Paul, MN

Milwaukee, WI

Tampa, FL

Mount Laurel, NJ

Tucson, AZ

New Orleans, LA

Washington, DC

New York, NY

West Palm Beach, FL

Yakima, WA

RE: PDF USCIS INFo

Office of Communications
www.uscis.gov
USCIS Update April 22, 2008
USCIS RELEASES PROJECTED NATURALIZATION PROCESSING TIMES FOR LOCAL OFFICES
WASHINGTON—U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) released today the projected times for local offices to complete processing of applications for citizenship from individuals who filed during the summer of 2007.
Last July, USCIS received 460,000 applications for naturalization. That was three times the record for any previous month. For the year, USCIS received 1.4 million naturalization applications, almost double the normal annual volume.
USCIS is hiring and training hundreds of additional immigration officers to adjudicate these cases. The agency is also conducting naturalization interviews on weekends, after normal business hours and in additional locations.
The processing times listed below provide a sense of how quickly a case may be processed if there are no complicating factors. Still, some cases will take longer to complete for such reasons as:

an applicant has been asked to submit additional information and their case is pending until they comply, or

an applicant fails the naturalization test and has 60 days to prepare before they are retested, or

the FBI name check is still in progress.
Projected Local USCIS Office Processing Times at end of September 2008
Office Months
Agana, Guam........................8.6
Albany, NY...........................7.2
Albuquerque, NM.................8.7
Anchorage, AK.....................8.7
Atlanta, GA...........................9.9
Baltimore, MD....................14.0
Boise, ID.............................14.2
Boston, MA...........................9.9
Buffalo, NY..........................6.4
Charleston, SC ...................14.1
Charlotte Amalie, VI.............7.9
Charlotte, NC......................14.4
Chicago, IL...........................8.6
Cincinnati, OH......................7.5
Cleveland, OH......................7.5
Columbus, OH......................7.4
Dallas, TX...........................13.7
Denver, CO...........................8.2
Office Months
Newark, NJ.........................10.3
Norfolk, VA........................14.6
Oklahoma City, OK..............8.6
Omaha, NE...........................5.8
Orlando, FL........................14.4
Philadelphia, PA.................11.8
Phoenix, AZ........................14.4
Pittsburgh, PA.......................6.0
Portland, ME.........................7.3
Portland, OR.........................9.7
Providence, RI....................14.2
Reno, NV..............................7.3
Sacramento, CA....................7.8
Salt Lake City, UT................8.6
San Antonio, TX...................9.8
San Diego, CA......................9.1
San Francisco, CA................8.6
San Jose, CA.......................14.2
Des Moines, IA.....................5.8
Detroit, MI............................8.0
El Paso, TX.........................14.2
Fort Smith, AR......................8.6
Fresno, CA..........................12.6
Harlingen, TX.......................6.5
Hartford, CT........................14.3
Helena, MT...........................5.0
Honolulu, HI.........................6.8
Houston, TX........................14.0
Indianapolis, IN....................5.7
Jacksonville, FL....................7.6
Kansas City, MO.................10.4
Las Vegas, NV....................14.1
Los Angeles, CA.................14.3
Louisville, KY......................7.1
Manchester, NH..................14.6
Memphis, TN........................9.8
Miami, FL...........................14.2
Milwaukee, WI.....................6.8
Mount Laurel, NJ................11.6
New Orleans, LA................14.5
New York, NY....................10.1
San Juan, PR.......................13.0
Seattle, WA...........................9.8
Spokane, WA........................6.9
St Albans, VT.......................8.3
St Louis, MO......................10.8
St Paul, MN..........................8.6
Tampa, FL..........................11.3
Tucson, AZ.........................14.4
Washington, DC.................14.7
West Palm Beach, FL...........9.0
Yakima, WA.......................14.1
– USCIS –

So by September 2008 it will have taken cases that were filed in Summer 2007 this long to process? Elmo Gonzalez said in March it would take 13-15 months to process cases filed last Summer..what's the point in giving an average processing time when it's clear by these numbers that there is such a big discrepancy between DOs.
Looking at these numbers tells me one thing " resource mismanagement"..
What's next? A congressional hearing to discuss why the times vary so much between DOs??

RE: Inaccurate Numbers

Based on this, VORPAL and others that applied in NYC should have gotten his IL by now already....

Based on this, VORPAL and others that applied in NYC should have gotten his IL by now already....

How do you come to that conclusion? If the processing time by September 08 for Summer applicants will be 10.1 months for New York DO and Vorpal's PD is 9/4/07, the total projected processing time for his case would be somewhere in July 08.

RE: Vorpal & Others

It states that 10.1 months is average for NYC.

USCIS sends their IL's well in advance of 2 months which would aprox mean he should have gotten it by now. Also, remember Oath can happen right away or take an additional time.

That is the reason why I am saying these are inaccurate numbers.

Missing DOs

I don't see Santa Ana, CA or a couple of the other DOs listed on here or on the source document on the USCIS website. Does that mean that they have just forgotten certain DOs? And what do the times actually mean when they say estimated by September 2008? It's only April now, so how can they be issuing predictions about September?

What a nightmare this agency is!

I don't see Santa Ana, CA or a couple of the other DOs listed on here or on the source document on the USCIS website. Does that mean that they have just forgotten certain DOs? And what do the times actually mean when they say estimated by September 2008? It's only April now, so how can they be issuing predictions about September?

What a nightmare this agency is!

That is what I have been saying, these are inaccurate numbers.
These numbers (I think) represent months from NOA date until Oath.

The way I read those number is that according to USCIS the majority of the applications filed in Summer 07 will be processed according to the times indicated on the table. Now the important part they leave out is that their idea of majority is 51% of applicants..the other 49% of applicants will have widely ranging processing times.;)

:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Michael Jordan is Black unless he is white.

What good these stupid projected time-frames are if they have to stipulate "unless stuck in FBI namecheck"?

My application has been pending for exactly 7 months 19 days. According to the newly released estimates, I should be getting my IL during the May round.

How do you come to that conclusion? If the processing time by September 08 for Summer applicants will be 10.1 months for New York DO and Vorpal's PD is 9/4/07, the total projected processing time for his case would be somewhere in July 08.

Precisely. A July 08 interview, with a May 08 IL (based on the 2 month time lapse between the IL and interview).

Also, I wonder if WOM is a viable option if an application is not processed within the posted timeframe, provided that background checks have been cleared and the application has been placed in queue for interview?

Last edited by a moderator:
Precisely. A July 08 interview, with a May 08 IL (based on the 2 month time lapse between the IL and interview).

Also, I wonder if WOM is a viable option if an application is not processed within the posted timeframe, provided that background checks have been cleared and the application has been placed in queue for interview?

Probably, but would that mean that they would throw your file and copies of it in the trash before USCIS gets subpoaned by the judge and/or the NY DA's office?

Remember, we are dealing with people under a lot of pressure, here. We have to be very careful and not piss off anyone. It wouldn't be smart to do it anyway over the phone.-

RE: Vorpal Il

Remember, the Batman Movie and the piece about the Joker. "If you are going to do it (the WOM), do it with a SMILE" :D:D:D

I guess this explains the retrogression in the April processing date update. To arrive at those dates, they seem to be counting backward from April 2008 based on these projected processing times. It's misleading because the projected processing times pertain only to "individuals who filed during the summer of 2007." So even though NYC seems to have long since processed all May and June applicants (and even though 2008 applicants are seeing 3 month timelines!), they arrive at a date of May 28, 2007 based on the projected wait of somebody who applied in or after July 2007).

Probably, but would that mean that they would throw your file and copies of it in the trash before USCIS gets subpoaned by the judge and/or the NY DA's office?

Remember, we are dealing with people under a lot of pressure, here. We have to be very careful and not piss off anyone. It wouldn't be smart to do it anyway over the phone.-

Let them throw my documents in the trash. I have the NOA and the FP notice, which was stamped at the ASC to prove that I attended my FP appointment, as well as an official copy of my cashed check that I had my bank send me. All 3 documents are more that sufficient to prove that not only did I file my N-400, but when and where I filed it. With all the legal pressure on the USCIS, I would absolutely LOVE to see them throw my file in the trash. I'll contact every major media outlet in NYC and have an absolute field day with them. How about a press conference on the front steps of 26 Federal Plaza?

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess this explains the retrogression in the April processing date update. To arrive at those dates, they seem to be counting backward from April 2008 based on these projected processing times. It's misleading because the projected processing times pertain only to "individuals who filed during the summer of 2007." So even though NYC seems to have long since processed all May and June applicants (and even though 2008 applicants are seeing 3 month timelines!), they arrive at a date of May 28, 2007 based on the projected wait of somebody who applied in or after July 2007).

As usual, you make perfect sense. Next month's batch of ILs should prove critical.