USCIS Move to Reduce RFEs and Increase Denials

BaSh

Registered Users (C)
USCIS Move to Reduce RFEs and Increase Denials

The AILA has reported that yesterday the USCIS started its move to reduce issuance of RFEs which had burdened the agency with tons of workloads leading to the delays in adjudication and backlogs. This move cuts both ways for the customers. But before we get to this point, let's find out the skeleton of the agency's new guidelines.

Outright Denial for Failure to Meet Basic Statutory/Regulatory "Substantive" Qualification Requirements: From today, the agency will deny petitions or applications if the filing fails to meet the "threshold" eligibility requirements for the petitions or applications. This will help the agency to throw out either frivolous or totally ineligible cases without wasting any time and money.
Outright Denial for Failure to Submit "Sufficient" Evidence to Establish Eligibility: When the petitioners or applicants submit the required basic threshold supporting documentation which meet the "initial" evidence requirement under the statute and regulation, the agency will not give additional opportunity to supplement the evidence by issuing RFE. Accordingly, it will be critically important that the petitioners or applicants go an extra mile to document not just de minimus threshold evidence but sufficient evidence to prove the threshold requirements.
RFE is required When "Initial" Records Are Missing: The statutes and regulations list the record requirements for filing of petitions or applications. If such records or evidence are missing, the agency will continue to issue RFE.
The positive impact of this move is obviously reduction of backlog. This web site has been advocating such move all along.
However, one should not ignore the negative side of this decision. People will see increased number of denials in the mail without RFEs. A couple of things people should be conscious in presenting a case from here on:
Meticulous Documentation for Threshold: One cannot sit on a minimal documentation anymore. The agency cited as an illustration issue of "employer's financial ability to pay the proffered salary" to the alien employees. If the least amount of evidence is submitted to establish this requirement, which the agency believes failed to prove this requirement, the case will be denied outright. From here on, "extra" documentation may be a prudent thing to do.
EAD vs. H-1B Strategy for I-485 Filers: The risk of working on EAD rather than H-1B status will increase substantially under the new policy. Once I-485 is denied, the alien loses the legal status immediately if the alien worked on EAD rather than a nonimmigrant status. The agency will immediately revoke the EAD. The only recourses available will be either an appeal or a motion to reconsider or a motion to reopen. Meanwhile, those who work on H-1B will not be affected by such denial when it comes to their H-1B employment and legal status. Besides, those who work on EAD rather than a nonimmigrant status are subject to removal proceedings as they do not have any specific nonimmigrant status when the I-485 application is denied. Another important point to remember for the 7th-year H-1B extension eligible professionals. Under the current court decision, the denial of agency does not deprive them of eligibility for the 7th-year extension "if" an appeal has been filed timely. The court determined that "final decision" under the AC 21 that stops the eligibility for the 7th extension eligibility would not arrive until a decision is made by an appeal unit. It is thus likely that people will witness an increased number of appeals to seek remedy for the legal issues and to preserve their right to the 7th-year H-1B extension pending appeal.

05/05/2004: USCIS Move to Reduce RFEs in http://www.immigration-law.com/ site....

BaSh:mad: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if members here bother to scan latest post before posting. This is 3rd thread , saying exactly same thing.
:D

Hi smart_guy007

I did not see this posting any where in TSC postings...can you link the posting... I will remove this tread..

Thanks for the information.

BaSh:cool:

Thanks for the info.

This is a scary news. I mean, who can guarantee his document is 100% no problem. If the officer has any question about your document, he will just deny your case without RFE. Isn't it scary?

Of course it is good to see they reduce backlog, but the good news is based on our risk. We are taking 50-50 chance.

I hope it's not real.

new 2 me

I visit this site multiple times every day and this is the 1st time that I have seen this. Thanks for posting BaSH.

Me too, I will have an open window of this site all the time at my work. I am seeing this first time. However, it is a scary issue.

Thanks Bash.

I see that it is posted yesterday. It is a scary news. It came at the right time before I would send response to my RFE.

My case is the only denial case running around. Hope nobody goes through this appeal process and Motion to Reopen / Reconsider (MOTR) that I did.

I read it carefully and it is not as scary as it apprears on first hand.

There are basically three stages,

1. Minimal Evidence (de minimus)
2. Threshold
3. Sufficient Evidence.

In case of 3. - approve.

In case of 2. - approve if documentary evidence is beyond threshold. If 'initial' evidence is not up to threshold then issue RFE.

In case of 1. - Deny. This happens only when there is no evidence at all or the evidence does not meet 'de minimus'.

I feel that the chances for 1. are only 10%

Majority of our EB cases are 3. and if not we are at least in 2.

Hope this helps.

However, this gives an indication that we really have to maintain H and do not opt for EAD. ( majority of us go on EAD either because we have exhausted 6 years or we change job using AC21)

Hi LongGC. I have read it very carefully. Logically it should not apply to people whos 140 has already been approved. However the following does not seem to making sense to me:

Outright Denial for Failure to Submit "Sufficient" Evidence to Establish Eligibility: When the petitioners or applicants submit the required basic threshold supporting documentation which meet the "initial" evidence requirement under the statute and regulation, the agency will not give additional opportunity to supplement the evidence by issuing RFE. Accordingly, it will be critically important that the petitioners or applicants go an extra mile to document not just de minimus threshold evidence but sufficient evidence to prove the threshold requirements.

1) What does the phrase basic threshold supporting documentation mean? Does it mean that if some one has submitted BC in native language without the notarized translation then it doesnt meet the threshhold criteria for 485. Where can we find a list of documents which establish eligibilty for I-485.

2) If someone has not submitted documentation of his status for all his years in the US. Eg: He was here on F1, then changed to EAD and then to H1. But with the 485 he just submitted the copy of H1 approval notice. In such a case will they just deny the 485 case on the basis that they were not sure whether the applicant was out of status or NOT. Or will they send a RFE to give the applicant a chance to prove that he was never out of status.

All the gurus inputs/opinions would be deeply appreciated.

My interpretation

For the most part this relates to the initial application.
For example, if you submitt a 485 application without a "medical" they will reject the application. In the past they would issue an RFE.
So the moral here is, make sure your application is precise and complete. For an initail application, I don't think this is a big deal.
However, I think the same applies to an RFE. If they consider your response to the RFE as being inadequate, they will reject your application rather than issue another RFE. Now this is a big concern.:eek:

One more context-sensitive immigration law....which every attorney will interpret in their own and say what is minimum documentation. All this will help is Fed-Ex, because every one will now send every possible document that USCIS will ever think of asking.

Let's first review what RFEs are the most issued by BCIS when I-485s are pending. Then we can guess what BCIS will deny the most likely.

RFE Document Type Possibility
Employment Verification Letter. What type of company do you work for now? Very High
Your last three ( may be six) pay stubs. (online printouts of paystubs are ok) Very High
Your personal income tax forms for the last three years (first two pages should do....no need of other schds) High
Last three years W-2 forms High
Proof that your current employer can afford to pay your salary such as company's annual report as evidence of company's ability to pay or letter from HR of intent to hire you when your GC is approved. High
Company Financial Stands (Proof to show how many employees are on payroll and Federal Tax returns) Medium
Proof of continuous lawful status (a period if specified by USCIS) Medium
Initial Entry Low
Original approval I-130 notice Low
Affidavit of support for dependent Low
Copy of I-94 Low
Medical / Immunization Low
I20 Low
H1 Approvals Low
I-131 Low
Affidavit for Date of Birth Low
Two recent ADIT style photos Low
Marriage Certificate Low
Photocopy of Passport Low
Current practicing license Very Low
Birth Certificate with English translation. (if original was not in English, this could trigger RFE) Very Low
form G 325A biographic information Very Low

I just wonder what we will do if it is BCIS who make mistakes. For example, they ask dependent to provide his/her certificate of Master or Doctor degree when some officers don't relize it is not necessary for dependents to do so. In such a kind of case, BCIS may mistakenly deny the application and revoke the EAD or whatever. Then what will he/she do?

This could be serious for AC21 users

Till now all AC21 portability(485) were expected(not REQUIRED) to inform the service centers of a job change. Due to this many attorneys did not submit the new letter of employment unless there was an RFE raised. Their philosophy was the the minimal the better.

It states that "RFE is required When 'Initial' Records Are Missing". The new employement letter is not a piece of "initial evidence". We can establish this.

Now analyse this.

Would the new employment letter be considered as a piece of "threshold" ? But on the other hand how would the adjudicating officer know of a job change unless s/he raises an RFE to confirm the same.

Lets get an opinion on this. Readers can discuss the issue with their attorneys and submit their views here.

How do we know if this news is totally authentic. I dont see any information in the AILA website. Before talking to my attorney I want to be sure that the source of this news is authentic and it is just NOT a rumor.

Does anyone know of any other websites which publish this news except for www.immigration-law.com.

Relax guys

Guys before panicing, please read carefully the statement for the new policy. It is not like if you are missing a document your case will be denied immediately. actually it states clearly that if documents are missing an RFE will be issued. Outright denial for a case is when the applicant has a document or submits a document which does not prove eligibility then case will be denied. The statement gives an example when the applicant submits evidence that his company can pay his salary. if this document is not enough or does not prove that, an RFE will not be issued.

Let us all relax and not panic. After all life itself is a gamble and you know what green card is not worth your health or your life. If it comes it comes, if not to hell with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi spartakus. Your interpretation seems correct. However if you look at the memo it seems like point 2 and point 3 contradict each other. Eg:

Point 2 is :Outright Denial for Failure to Submit "Sufficient" Evidence to Establish Eligibility: When the petitioners or applicants submit the required basic threshold supporting documentation which meet the "initial" evidence requirement under the statute and regulation, the agency will not give additional opportunity to supplement the evidence by issuing RFE. Accordingly, it will be critically important that the petitioners or applicants go an extra mile to document not just de minimus threshold evidence but sufficient evidence to prove the threshold requirements.

Point 3 is :RFE is required When "Initial" Records Are Missing: The statutes and regulations list the record requirements for filing of petitions or applications. If such records or evidence are missing, the agency will continue to issue RFE.

Lets take a simple example. I came to US on a J1 visa. Then changed status to F1, then to EAD card and finally to H1. However when I filed my I-485 my attorney forgot to put in approval notices of F1 change of status. Now will that fall into point 2 or point 3. Because if I was NOT in status previous to filing 485 then my application will be denied. However I was in status but the attorney did not provide sufficient proof to meet the threshhold. So will the USCIS send me a RFE to prove this or will they just DENY my case OUTRIGHT.

Another eg: could be BC because the applicant forgot to include notarized translations alongwith his initial application. Will INS allow him to prove this or just DENY his case.

I am still not able to make distinction between point 2 and point 3 in this memo.