• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

USCIS changes green card delivery method

SusieQQQ

more secure, but now you have to be there to receive -

https://www.uscis.gov/news/news-releases/uscis-begin-using-more-secure-mail-delivery-service

USCIS to Begin Using More Secure Mail Delivery Service

WASHINGTON - U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) announced today that the agency will begin phasing in use of the U.S. Postal Service’s (USPS) Signature Confirmation Restricted Delivery service to mail Green Cards and other secure documents beginning April 30, 2018.

The first phase will affect documents that need to be re-mailed because they have been returned as non-deliverable. These documents include Permanent Resident Cards (also called Green Cards), Employment Authorization Cards, and Travel Booklets. Applicants who have changed mailing addresses during the course of the application process are more likely to have their secure documents sent with the new delivery method, which USCIS will expand to all secure documents in the future.

As part of the new delivery method, applicants must present identification to sign for their documents upon delivery. They also have the option to designate an agent to sign on their behalf by completing the Postal Service’s PS Form 3801, Standing Delivery Order (PDF) or PS Form 3801-A, Agreement by a Hotel, Apartment House, or the Like (PDF). Applicants can sign up for USPS Informed Delivery to receive delivery status notifications. Applicants will also have the option to arrange for pickup at a post office at a convenient date and time by going to the USPS website and selecting “hold for pickup.”

Signature Confirmation Restricted Delivery increases the security, integrity, and efficiency of document delivery. The Signature Confirmation Restricted Delivery process provides better tracking and accuracy of delivery information, improving service to applicants.

Information on how to track delivery of secure documents is available on the USCIS website.

Hi SusieQ, Let me know if I'm interpreting this wrong :)
So, before we've even moved to (or know where we're going to be living) the US we are providing a US residential address to have the greencard sent to. When these new rules come in, we have to actually be present to sign for and receive them? Or have someone else sign for the greencards on our behalf (if we provide that form)?

Don't the greencards usually get sent not long after doing the activation trip, where most people haven't actually made the move yet. Does this mean that the person address I'm using to have the greencards sent to, has to be authorised and then has to be home to sign for the greencards.

Or have a got this totally wrong?

So, before we've even moved to (or know where we're going to be living) the US we are providing a US residential address to have the greencard sent to. When these new rules come in, we have to actually be present to sign for and receive them? Or have someone else sign for the greencards on our behalf (if we provide that form)?

Don't the greencards usually get sent not long after doing the activation trip, where most people haven't actually made the move yet. Does this mean that the person address I'm using to have the greencards sent to, has to be authorised and then has to be home to sign for the greencards.

Someone will need to be at home to receive and sign for the GC, USPS will no longer leave the card in the mailbox like they’ve been doing.

Ok thanks. Do you know at what point I should be providing the form to allow someone to sign for the greencard on our behalf? Would this get done when we do the activation trip?

You can prepare the form during your activation trip. The GC will not be produced and sent prior to that trip even if you pay the GC fee before you enter the US for the first time with your IV.

What mom says, and person can also arrange to collect at post office. Just wanted to add - the number of people who do “activation trips” out of the total GC recipients is tiny - it’s mostly only DV who does this (family and employment based visas have been waiting years and usually make the move in one go, and obviously all AOS applicants are already there) and it’s definitely not all DV. So while it’s more logistically tricky for you, it benefits all but the tiny % of recipients who do not actually reside in the US after getting their green cards. It’s quite harrowing sometimes to read the travails of people trying to track down what’s happened to green cards that are undelivered and somewhere in the purgatory between USPS and being returned to uscis.

What mom says, and person can also arrange to collect at post office. Just wanted to add - the number of people who do “activation trips” out of the total GC recipients is tiny - it’s mostly only DV who does this (family and employment based visas have been waiting years and usually make the move in one go, and obviously all AOS applicants are already there) and it’s definitely not all DV. So while it’s more logistically tricky for you, it benefits all but the tiny % of recipients who do not actually reside in the US after getting their green cards. It’s quite harrowing sometimes to read the travails of people trying to track down what’s happened to green cards that are undelivered and somewhere in the purgatory between USPS and being returned to uscis.
Ah, right, ok. I was thinking that the rule change was for dv lottery entrants only.
That makes sense then.
:)

Ah, right, ok. I was thinking that the rule change was for dv lottery entrants only.
That makes sense then.
:)

The only thing different for DV selectees is the method of getting the visa. Once it’s issued every other process is exactly the same as any other immigrant visa.

Hi,

So does the authorized agent simply present the filled in form upon delivery or pick up? Or must the form be sent to USPS in advance?

Thanks!

I know someone that just got their GC delivered with regular mail. Right into the mailbox no signature 3 days ago

Either they didn't implement the new system as yet or the postal employees could care less??

I know someone that just got their GC delivered with regular mail. Right into the mailbox no signature 3 days ago

Either they didn't implement the new system as yet or the postal employees could care less??

Do you know when was it actually sent? If received 3 days ago it might have been one of the last ones sent by April 30.

Do you know when was it actually sent? If received 3 days ago it might have been one of the last ones sent by April 30.

Possibly could be one of the last ones sent out April 30th.
It was my mother in law
Father in laws didnt come yet as they both renewed at the same time. But she did her Biometrics before him.
So when his gets mailed out we”ll know if the Restricted Delivery system is really being Enforced