USC sponsoring parents...need guidance?

jefkorn

Registered Users (C)
Trying to plan for sponsoring the parents and in-laws. If their cases are filed together and say get approved together. Do they get same amount of time within which they have to travel to US?

Once they land in US, can they go back to take acare of affairs in the home country?

What do I need in terms of preparing the application I130?

I am thinking I need my birth certificate to establish the parentage.

Do I need birth certificated of all siblings on parents application? It asks for all children and their DOBs.

So parents were born before 1960 in Pakistan and only year of birth is known..will this be a problem?

I'm getting up to speed on this topic so please bear with me..I may have more questions.

Thanks for your time.

They might not get the same interview dates, but once approved after the interview they will have 6 months to enter the US, so it shouldn't be too difficult for them to arrange to travel together.

After entering the US, they can leave immediately and stay away for up to a year. Or two years if they stay in the US long enough (about a month) to complete the biometrics for reentry permits.

You definitely need your birth certificate with their names on it as the parents. And for your father, you'll need their marriage certificate if they were married when you were born (otherwise if they weren't married it gets a bit more complicated).

Thanks Jackolantern! So is the six month period after the successful interview at US embassy is standard? Almost a given?

Now what if father is deceased, I don't think the marriage certificate will be needed if just mother is being sponsored?

Leaving for upto a year after entering US first time, won't that cause the abandonment of permanent residence and cause problems on re entry?

I have read that maintaining bills, lease of the house, driver's licnse all of them can be used to show the intent of treating US as the primary abode. In case of an elderly parent, say she son;t have any of those..not able to drive, no income but dependant on US citizen son or daughter. How can such parent gather evidence to fight abondonment in case it's brough up at the port of entry?

I'm just loooking at all the options and see how long one has before finalizing the settlment plans etc.

Thanks Jackolantern! So is the six month period after the successful interview at US embassy is standard? Almost a given?
Yes, the 6-month period after the immigrant visa approval is standard.

Now what if father is deceased, I don't think the marriage certificate will be needed if just mother is being sponsored?
The marriage certificate is supporting evidence of paternity (if a married woman gives birth, it is presumed the husband is the father unless there is specific evidence to prove otherwise). But your mother won't need her marriage certificate, because there is rarely any debate about who is somebody's mother.

Leaving for upto a year after entering US first time, won't that cause the abandonment of permanent residence and cause problems on re entry?
Not a problem if they return within a year. The POE officers are lenient about that for people who travel a lot in their first year as GC holders, as they understand that many people have to go back to wrap up personal and financial affairs in their original country before settling in the US.