• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

USA five years into Obama's presidency - "7 setbacks for the middle class"

OnTheGo

Registered Users (C)
Interesting article from today:

http://money.cnn.com/2014/01/24/news/economy/middle-class-economy/index.html

NEW YORK (CNNMoney)
Five years into his presidency, Barack Obama is still falling short of his number one goal: to fix the economy for the middle class.
Sure, a recovery has been underway for most of his presidency, but it's still slow and uneven. And despite Obama's focus on the middle class, the improvement so far has largely benefited corporations and the ultra-rich.

Whether you blame Obama or a dysfunctional Congress, either way the recovery is hardly a middle-class success story.
http://money.cnn.com/2014/01/24/news/economy/middle-class-economy/index.html

I blame the system. It doesn't matter who's in office, what party. The entire system is geared towards enriching the few ultra-wealthy and powerful. Big campaign funding and lots of lobbyists doing backroom deals makes sure the top 1% never give up a dime. Too many people put faith in the President, and especially Obama with all that hope and change fantasy. He's part of the system. But he's cool, talks nice and has a gorgeous wife, which is a handy distraction in this celebrity-obsessed society.

Y'know... You post so many negatives, while I understand people should go into things with their eyes open, I have to wonder why you are going ahead with your green card...

Y'know... You post so many negatives, while I understand people should go into things with their eyes open, I have to wonder why you are going ahead with your green card...

+1
Exactly my thoughts. Comes across like an alarmist!

I feel it is super important for people to see what it is they are getting into ... and I hope for good discussion.
I have always admitted that I have reservations about a move to the US, but at the same time aspirations and a sense of adventure. We have not made the ultimate decision yet as to whether or not we are in fact going ahead with the GC.

What I am missing in this forum is more educated discussion on life in the USA, while it is evident that probably 90% of people are obsessed only with the actual outcome of getting the GC and completely ignore the challenges. This shows me that most of them are probably either in their early 20's with not a lot of life experience, or simply coming from vastly poorer backgrounds than what they hope to be getting out of living in the US.

I don't mean to come across as negative, but I am thorough and challenge to look beyond the "GC tunnel vision" - lol.

I feel it is super important for people to see what it is they are getting into ... and I hope for good discussion.
I have always admitted that I have reservations about a move to the US, but at the same time aspirations and a sense of adventure. We have not made the ultimate decision yet as to whether or not we are in fact going ahead with the GC.

What I am missing in this forum is more educated discussion on life in the USA, while it is evident that probably 90% of people are obsessed only with the actual outcome of getting the GC and completely ignore the challenges. This shows me that most of them are probably either in their early 20's with not a lot of life experience, or simply coming from vastly poorer backgrounds than what they hope to be getting out of living in the US.

I don't mean to come across as negative, but I am thorough and challenge to look beyond the "GC tunnel vision" - lol.

OTG I hear you about the GC tunnel vision - many of those wanting Green Cards have no idea what to expect in the USA. You might get a bit better info on Expat sites - people who have been there for a while...

I always remember this scene in The Hunt for Red October

Capt. Vasili Borodin: I will live in Montana. And I will marry a round American woman and raise rabbits, and she will cook them for me. And I will have a pickup truck... maybe even a "recreational vehicle." And drive from state to state. Do they let you do that?
Captain Ramius: I suppose.
Capt. Vasili Borodin: No papers?
Captain Ramius: No papers, state to state.
Capt. Vasili Borodin: Well then, in winter I will live in... Arizona. Actually, I think I will need two wives.
Captain Ramius: Oh, at least.

Fair enough. Then again, my father has lived there for 25 years and I've spent enough time there to have a pretty good idea what we'd be getting into. I do agree it's more attractive for people coming from developing countries, but as a friend of mine who has lived in Australia and the US as well as the UK says, it's refreshing not to be living in a nanny state too.

What are you actually looking forward to about the US?

Most of your concerns are valid, however, you're posting them in the wrong forum, that is the problem. There are several forums (or should I say sub-forums) hosted by this site where you can post all those concerns. You just need to select the right one, and you can start by going here:

http://forums.immigration.com/forum.php

Not necessarily true that the majority of the people who come here are "probably either in their early 20's with not a lot of life experience, or simply coming from vastly poorer backgrounds than what they hope to be getting out of living in the US". While some no doubt fit within that category, there's also a vast majority who are simply interested in the 'how tos' - the process. They just need guidance on getting through with this stage as their minds are already made up about relocating and facing whatever challenges living in the US may throw at them.

I blame the system. It doesn't matter who's in office, what party. The entire system is geared towards enriching the few ultra-wealthy and powerful. Big campaign funding and lots of lobbyists doing backroom deals makes sure the top 1% never give up a dime. Too many people put faith in the President, and especially Obama with all that hope and change fantasy. He's part of the system. But he's cool, talks nice and has a gorgeous wife, which is a handy distraction in this celebrity-obsessed society.

Gorgeous wife??? She looks like a transsexual monkey. You might enjoy San Francisco for those kind of people.

OTG I hear you about the GC tunnel vision - many of those wanting Green Cards have no idea what to expect in the USA. You might get a bit better info on Expat sites - people who have been there for a while...

Thanks mate (or: dude, or bro if we were in California, lol) - that's actually a good tip!
Can you name a site/forum that you like?

Fair enough. Then again, my father has lived there for 25 years and I've spent enough time there to have a pretty good idea what we'd be getting into. I do agree it's more attractive for people coming from developing countries, but as a friend of mine who has lived in Australia and the US as well as the UK says, it's refreshing not to be living in a nanny state too.

What are you actually looking forward to about the US?

I know exactly what your friend means by 'nanny state' - many of my fellow Aussies thought they were living in one. Well, they have no idea how regulated life in Germany is! I do not agree with many things here or there, but one thing I will always consider essential, which is an affordable public health care system. (not going to debate this further here).

What we are looking forward to? Apart from what I wrote here, we actually have a tremendous drive to experience new surroundings and opportunities...whatever life throws at us. In a way, I feel connected to the US, not least because of many online connections. In terms of business and technology, I feel the "music plays in the USA". Many conventions and events in the online marketing and business world are happening there, in fact many if not the most innovations are hatched there.
The USA seems to have more choice in terms of places to live, and despite the out-of-control national debt levels, I still think since the economy is more diverse, there are more opportunities for people to prosper compared to Europe or Australia.

Gorgeous wife??? She looks like a transsexual monkey. You might enjoy San Francisco for those kind of people.

I was withholding myself before but I think you are a close minded, racist, homophobic, dumb **** who represents what is worse about America! I don't care if I get banned for this but "eat shit and die" dude !!!

I was withholding myself before but I think you are a close minded, racist, homophobic, dumb **** who represents what is worse about America! I don't care if I get banned for this but "eat shit and die" dude !!!

Lol

I read his comments and thought: typical of the white conservative who can't stand the fact that not only are the Obamas both very smart people who attended top universities followed by successful careers , but good looking and in the White House to boot. In other words: envy.