US reentry on green card. Do I need to present passport of country of origin?

I'm a dual citizen with 2 passports. Let's say passport A and passport B.
Passport A is the country of birth / country of origin. Passport B I acquired later in life but before immigration to US.

Upon entering US after getting the green-card for the first time I presented my green-card and was fully prepared to also show my passport. When asked to show one I showed my passport B. I was then surprised that the immigration officer didn't accept the passport B and asked me to instead present passport A.

When I asked for a reason the reply was "look at your green card (where the country of origin is) it says Passport A so you have to show me passport A"

I was under impression that I am entitled to show any passport as long as I have at least one I should be permitted to enter is that not true?

No big deal if I have both passports with me, but I would like to know what the legal requirements are.
The USCIS website is kind of vague:

If seeking to enter the United States after temporary travel abroad, you will need to present a valid, unexpired “Green Card” (Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card). When arriving at a port of entry, a U.S. Customs and Border Protection Officer will review your permanent resident card and any other identity documents you present, such as a passport, foreign national I.D. card or U.S. Driver’s License, and determine if you can enter the United States. For information pertaining to entry into the United States, see U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s webpage.
I practice there could be multiple reasons why I don't have the passport A on me an only have passport B. I could have lost it, I could have sent it over to my country of origin for a renewal over mail or I could have sent it over the mail to my country of origin to get a visa to some other country.

In case of my wife, her name on the passport A is different from that on the green card (maiden name) the green card was issued based on passport B so she has the married last name of the passport B on the green card, when asked to present passport A it would be with a different name, which could also present an issue.


Well-Known Member
As far as the US government is concerned, a US permanent re-entering with a green card is not required to have any passport at all. See this answer from the CBP:
United States (U.S.) LPRs do not need a passport to enter the U.S. as per 8 CFR 211.1(a)
And the CBP carrier information guide, page 28:
A Lawful Permanent Resident may travel to the United States without a passport with a Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551).