US Passport - How long to get US passport?

saf

One day after I passed my N-400 interview and swearing-in ceremony on June 12, I applied for US passport at the post office (on June 13).

I checked the status online on http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html (right side) today and my passport process is not started yet. It said "Currently, it is taking 5-7 days for passport applications to be tracked online."

Questions:
1) Is it 5-7 business days? or just weekend does count?

2) Will I get my certificate of naturalization back?

Thanks.

I would suggest you wait a little longer for the status update. The certf is sent back either with the passport or in a different envelope.

I and my wife had our oath last Tuesday June 10th at 9am in San Francisco Masonic Center auditorium. There were 1400+ people from over 100 countries taking oath that day. Was an impressive ceremony that lasted around 2 hours.

Same day we applied for passport at local post office since I needed to apply for my son's passport also. (My son automatically got US citizenship when we naturalized.) Chose expedited process with express mail delivery and received passports of myself and wife on June 18th (8th day from application). My son's passport applications is still in process. In the passport envelope I received my naturalization cert but my wife's cert is retained to process my son's passport. There was a note to that effect in my wife's passport envelope.

In my case, I expedited my passport application and received in 9 days. I got both the passport and certificate in one package. However, my case status never appeared online - even to this day, my information will not come up. So, I don't know how reliable that system is...

Thanks.

I chose to expedite my passport application (both passport and passport card). I know that passport card cannot be expedited, but passport itself can be.

I applied expedited and got it in about 8 days. I suggest that you call the toll free number, they will be able to give you more information on your passport. My application never showed up in their online tracking system.

I just received my passport . I applied on the 12 of June and got it today. I just cant believe they folded my nat certificate in half.

6 Business days for me - Regular processing

I got mine in 6 business days. I applied regular processing. I do not know about expedited service. On saturday 06/14/08 around 3PM I applied for a passport in post office. I received the passport in my mail box on 06/23/08. The issued date in my passport was 06/19/2008. That was very fast. :)

Hope this helps.
-vscn400

Hi, we live in Texas. In my wife's and one child's case, we applied on a Monday and received the passports the same Friday. My own passport, and the other child's, arrived the following Tuesday. All the original documents submitted came back with the first two passports (ie. on the Friday of the sme week we applied).

We used expedite processing for all passports.

Our experience with passport applications, applying the day after the Oath at a local post office:

* My expedited passport: applied at 9:30am Saturday 28th June, and the passport arrived back 7 calendar days later (4 business days!) on Saturday 7/5 at 10am. Amazing!

* I applied for my families passports at the same time but not expedited. They arrived back Friday 7/18 which is 14 business days / 20 calendar days. Still very good service.

None of the passports are showing in the online status page even although we have received all the passports.

Kids GC

Did you submit your kid's GC along with Application and they returned GC with Passport ?

Hi, we live in Texas. In my wife's and one child's case, we applied on a Monday and received the passports the same Friday. My own passport, and the other child's, arrived the following Tuesday. All the original documents submitted came back with the first two passports (ie. on the Friday of the sme week we applied).

We used expedite processing for all passports.

Green Cards are supposed to be surrendered once u are a citizen..

Ideally they should not be sending it back to u..

Last edited by a moderator:
The kids GC's were submitted with their passport application and returned by the passport agency along with the passports. My understanding is that only USCIS can take back the GCs. We have also applied via N600 for Certificates of Citizenship. I believe that we will return the kids GC's when we receive that certificate.

Do you know how long it takes to get Kids Naturalization Certificate? I called Passport Agency regarding this, initially the lady said, GC will be returned later she asked me to hold for a minute then told me, GC will not be returned. I dont know what is correct what is wrong. In your case the kid GC was returned!

This information is erratic and the Dept of State should give out correct answers to people.... Sorry, you are going through this !

US passport

Seems like regular processing for US passport is happening quite fast?

I am in the SF BAy Area and finished my oath ceremony just last week on Aug 7th. I was wondering what is the time line for regular passport application and expediated one?
I went to the San Rafael post office today and they had a sign there saying regular processing takes 12 weeks and expediated one takes 4 weeks. is this true?

Timeline

Seems like regular processing for US passport is happening quite fast?

I am in the SF BAy Area and finished my oath ceremony just last week on Aug 7th. I was wondering what is the time line for regular passport application and expediated one?
I went to the San Rafael post office today and they had a sign there saying regular processing takes 12 weeks and expediated one takes 4 weeks. is this true?
It's extremely fast although YMMV
I applied June 19th and got back on July 1st Regular Processing
My spouse applied July 12th (saturday) and got back on July 18th again regular processing. They were applied at a regular post office. Unless you have an upcoming trip I would'nt spend $60 for the expedited.

Passport delivered...

I applied for passport on August 21st (regular service) in Atlanta PO. I just checked the status online (in State department web site) with the following message.

We have finished processing your passport, and it has been mailed to you.

You requested delivery by regular mail. Passport Agencies use Priority Mail. This means you should receive your passport on or about 09/02/2008.

I think its very quick and hopefully I will get the mail before Labor day weekend.

Thanks

Western Passport Center

I recommend not using the Western Passport Center in Tucson, AZ if you can. Even if you pay the extra $60 to expedite processing, plus the $12.72 overnight shipping fee, they will promise you a date of completion but then they are always 2-3 days late. It happened to my sister and my cousin too. Besides you wouldn't want to deal with agents who are indifferent to your needs.
So If you don't have a choice, then allow an extra 2-3 days for it to get to you (so delay your trip for 2-3 days), just on the safe side.
If you have a choice, overnight mail it to another passport facility. Don't use Western Passport Center in Tucson, Arizona if you can help it. There are over 30 facilities nationwide.