US citizenship through Grandparents

gqres

Hi All:

I appreciate any help on clarifying whether it's possible to be a U.S citizen through grandparents. My grandparents (maternal grandfather and grandmother), migrated to the U.S in or about 1984/85 and naturalized in or about 1990. (Both deceased, but lived continuously in the U.S till their deaths in 2000 and 2002. I was under 18 when grandparents became citizen.

My mother and I moved to the U.S in or about 1985. Mother became a naturalized citizen in 2008, I was over 18 when she became a naturalized citizen. Mother is still living, and the deceased father was never a U.S citizen

I had a green card for over 23 years but never naturalized and moved out of the U.S in 2006, so I no longer hold a green card.

In this scenario, is there any scope of being a U.S citizen through parent or grandparent?

No

When people talk about "citizenship through grandparents", they mean the INA 322 process where the parent was a US citizen before the child was 18, but both the parent and the child are residing abroad (the child is not a permanent resident), and the parent did not meet the requirements to pass citizenship to the child at birth (either because the parent was not a citizen when the child was born, or did not meet the residency requirements when the child was born). In that case, if the parent is now a US citizen, and the parent's US citizen parent (the child's grandparent) does meet the residency requirements, the parent can apply for naturalization for the child before the child turns 18. But this is a process that requires application (it is not automatic) the whole process must be complete before the child turns 18. And it is not relevant for you because you were a permanent resident living in the US, so you would have automatically become a citizen had your parent become a citizen before you turned 18 anyway.

though now he has to claim citizenship based on those fact (as he did was not "declared" citizen back then) right?

What do you mean he was not “declared”? If he was a GC holder for 23 years and never naturalized, that’s on him. He can’t claim citizenship retroactively now.