US citizenship Eligibility Question

ED1000100100101

My great grandmother was a US citizen by naturalization she then moved back to Ireland and had my grandfather in 1936. My father born 1960 (his son) lived in USA for 10 years on green card from green card lotto.. I was born in 2001 a year after he returned to Ireland. Do I qualify for US citizenship?

My great grandmother was a US citizen by naturalization she then moved back to Ireland and had my grandfather in 1936. My father born 1960 (his son) lived in USA for 10 years on green card from green card lotto.. I was born in 2001 a year after he returned to Ireland. Do I qualify for US citizenship?

Did your father ever become a US citizen and if so was he one when you were born? If not, the answer is no.

https://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship/citizenship-through-parents

There is a way to get citizenship through a grandparent but the way you’ve described your family it wouldn’t apply to you.

What is the way I could if it did apply to me?...I'm curious

It still needs your father to be a citizen, and some other things too, mainly the grandparent having lived at least 5 years in the US (it didn’t sound like this had happened from your original description).

A genetic, legitimated, or adopted child who regularly resides outside of the United States is eligible for naturalization if all of the following conditions have been met:

•The child has at least one U.S. citizen parent by birth or through naturalization, (including an adoptive parent); [3]

•The child’s U.S. citizen parent or citizen grandparent meets certain physical presence requirements in the United States or an outlying possession; **

•The child is under 18 years of age;

•The child is residing outside of the United States in the legal and physical custody of the U.S. citizen parent, or of a person who does not object to the application if the U.S. citizen parent is deceased; and

•The child is lawfully admitted, physically present, and maintaining a lawful status in the United States at the time the application is approved and the time of naturalization.

** Reliance on Physical Presence of Child’s U.S. Citizen Grandparent

If the child’s parent does not meet the physical presence requirement, the child may rely on the physical presence of the child’s U.S. citizen grandparent to meet the requirement. In such cases, the officer first must verify that the citizen grandparent, the citizen parent’s mother or father, is a U.S. citizen at the time of filing. If the grandparent has died, the grandparent must have been a U.S. citizen and met the physical presence requirements at the time of his or her death.

Like in the case of the citizen parent, the officer also must ensure that:

•The U.S. citizen grandparent has been physically present in the United States or its outlying possessions for at least five years; and

•The U.S. citizen grandparent met such physical presence for at least 2 years after he or she reached 14 years of age.

Like the citizen parent, a grandparent’s physical presence is calculated in the aggregate and includes time accrued in the United States during periods when the grandparent was not a U.S. citizen.

https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartH-Chapter5.html

Last edited:
I am US citizen , but live outside of US, and not meet 5 year physical presence in the United States, I could proof just 4, 5 years. How can I apply for citizenship for my kid? is it any way?

I am US citizen , but live outside of US, and not meet 5 year physical presence in the United States, I could proof just 4, 5 years. How can I apply for citizenship for my kid? is it any way?
Are both parents US citizens or just you? So the total cumulative time you spent in the US on all stays before the birth of the child, in any status, does not add up to 5 years? Are you guys planning on moving to the US or staying abroad?

No, just me a US citizen. I stayed in US only 4 and a half years. We are planning on moving but is it a way to receive a citizenship for my kid from abroad? I want to take him with me, I do not think that tourist visa will be approved for him.

No, just me a US citizen. I stayed in US only 4 and a half years. We are planning on moving but is it a way to receive a citizenship for my kid from abroad? I want to take him with me, I do not think that tourist visa will be approved for him.
If you want to move to the US you can file an immigrant visa petition for him. If he is still under 18 when you move back to the US, he will automatically become a citizen under INA320 when he enters on his immigrant visa, and in this case you don’t need to provide an affidavit of support for him. So it would be a fairly straightforward process, albeit with Covid backlogs one that could easily take a year or so to complete.

Last edited:
Are you a US citizen by birth or naturalization? Were any of your parents US citizens? If you were naturalized, you most likely met the physical presence requirements. If your parents are US citizens, in certain instances, the grand child can use their physical presence.