Urgent: Travel on AP - Trasit Visa Mess

naamuthi

Registered Users (C)
Hello Friends,

Please advise:
Me and My Wife are on EAD / AP Status (A.P Exires in March-2004).
My Wife is already in India.
And I am going there in Jan.
Both of us are flying in Lufthansa (German Airlines)

Do we need Trasit Visa's ?

When she was travelling to India, nobody bothered to look at any document in Frankfurt. But when Coming back to the US, will they be looking at Visa / Documents.

A friend of mine got a response back from the German Consulate, stating that you need a Trasit Visa via Frankfurt, if you don't have a valid (Stamped) Visa on your Passport.

This is pretty annoying, I called the Travel Agent, and she is saying that there are lot of changes going on and she isn't sure about Trasit Visa stuff.

Please Advise on my Situation.
If there is going to be any problem, I will have her apply for a Trasit Visa in India.

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks Guys.

Me and My Wife are on EAD / AP Status (A.P Exires in March-2004).
My Wife is already in India.
And I am going there in Jan.
Both of us are flying in Lufthansa (German Airlines)

Do we need Trasit Visa's ?
----- YES
when she was traveling to India, nobody bothered to look at any document in Frankfurt. But when Coming back to the US, will they be looking at Visa / Documents.
------ they may, don’t take the risk
A friend of mine got a response back from the German Consulate, stating that you need a Trasit Visa via Frankfurt, if you don't have a valid (Stamped) Visa on your Passport.
------ That is correct info
This is pretty annoying, I called the Travel Agent, and she is saying that there are lot of changes going on and she isn't sure about Trasit Visa stuff.
------ Get transit visa
Please Advise on my Situation.
If there is going to be any problem, I will have her apply for a Trasit Visa in India.
----- You can apply transit visa in US, contact nearest German Consulate, your wife may have to get transit visa in India from German consulate. When leave for India take recent bank statement of your wife US bank statements. If you have joint account take recent 2-3 bank statements for you and wife. If your wife is working in US then take employer letter. Take your credit cards with you. Also visit site of German embassy or consulate for the required documents for transit visa

Many sweat a great deal about transit Visas. And it is usually because they want to save money without getting it.

Just call the airline directly and if they advise you to take a transit Visa, take it. It cost within $50 for most european countries. It is not worth the pain and uncomfortness when you travel.

hth
dyno

Thank you for your input, greatly appreciate it.
You are exactly correct, its not worth to take a risk on these matters.

I will apply for my Trasit Visa in the US.
I will ask my wife to contact the German Consulate in Chennai (India) and get a Trasit Visa.

What is it exactly called : Transit Visa / Airport Transit Visa / Or something else.

Thanks Again.

Transit Visa

I ran into this issue of "Transit Visa" when I was trying come into US via Londen. I had a valid AP but no valid visa stamp in my Passport. Since it takes about 2 to 3 days to get an UK visa in Bombay, I decided to come via Paris. There is no transit visa requirement in Paris.

Reconfirm with your TA again.

JJ

if I do have a valid stamping in the passport(with visa valid dates) ,but I use AP for traveling, then I dont need to get a tranist visa. is that right?

Transit visa to european countries is required only if the visa validity on the passport is expired and I am travelling only using the AP?

any suggestions?
Thanks

to love2002

Yes, you are right - if you have a valid stamp, you do not need transit visa, even if you plan to enter using AP.

I came 10 days ago via Frankfurt on AP with a valid visa stamp and no transit visa

My husband does not have a valid visa stamp, will be using AP to enter and he is returning this saturday. He went to German Consulate in Mumbai waited for two hours and was told he does not need a transit visa.

Thanks csch1wait
how long does it take for you to get the AP?
for me its going to be 90 days.
till now there are no signs of getting it soon.
applied on Sep 30th
notice date oct-2nd

Originally posted by love2002
Thanks csch1wait
how long does it take for you to get the AP?
for me its going to be 90 days.
till now there are no signs of getting it soon.
applied on Sep 30th
notice date oct-2nd

You should get a response within 90 days from the ND.

hth
dyno

Originally posted by watever
maybe not.. i havent heard from them in 6 months :(
AP ND 31st July
EAD ND 31st July...

nothing yet :(

If you don't have any RFEs you are eligible for iEAD. Did you try that option?

-dyno

no RFE.. but milwaukee office doesnt give iEAD on the spot.. they ask for an application to be filled and then they take 30-60 days for i dont know what.. thats their process of iEAD.. and they say i cant go to another office and get it because they wont have jursdiction... i got a letter from INS that said my case is "under review" been over a month now... what is taking them ages to review :(

Originally posted by watever
no RFE.. but milwaukee office doesnt give iEAD on the spot.. they ask for an application to be filled and then they take 30-60 days for i dont know what.. thats their process of iEAD.. and they say i cant go to another office and get it because they wont have jursdiction... i got a letter from INS that said my case is "under review" been over a month now... what is taking them ages to review :(

Sorry abt your plight. But keep trying again and maybe you could meetup with a different officer.

Wish you luck!

hth
dyno

csch1wait,

Thanks for your Input on this,
Can you please let me know about your Husband's travel via Frankfurt.
Did they ask for Transit Visa?

My wife is going to come back next week, German consulate Chennai, told her that she does not need Transit Visa.

She is going to travel on AP.

Please let me know your Husband's travel Experience.

Thanks a Ton.

AP based entry (no valid stamped visa)

I would like to solicit expereinces from folks who have entered the US with AP (with no valid stamped visa). I will be traveling in March and would like to know if one is expected to produce original I-485, I-140 receipt notices or any other document(s) other then the AP itself.
I heard of a story recently where the person was asked for the I-485 receipt and was told that new rules required that you show original I-485 receipt. The person was not allowed entry for a few hours, although finally she was.
Is there a checklist of documents that would be prudent to carry when entering with an AP?
Please share your comments/experiences in this regard.
Thanks.

naamuthi,
I guess you wife is already here. I just saw your post.

In case,
My husband was told the same thing in German Consulate Mumbai thae he does not need transit visa. I don't think he had any issues travelling.