URGENT query regarding F1 visa

fluid2finance

Hello,

I came to the US in 2003 on a F1 visa and did a MS in Mechanical Engineering from a top univ in USA. Following graduation in December 2005, I worked first on OPT till Oct 2006 and then have been working on H1-b visa since then.

Now this year I got accepted at a top 20 university in USA for a full time MBA with partial scholarship. The course will start in August 2009

I am still in USA. In April my present company had 20% layoffs and I was one of them. Luckily I found another company which transferred my H1b.

however this transfer was filed in mid april and is still pending with INS. I believe that it might get approved any day now.

Now my query is that should I wait to get the H1 transfer complete and then apply for a Change of Status to F1 or should I travel to India and get my passport stamped with a new F1? I have heard some bad stories of F1 getting rejected recently due to the bad economy. I already have my I-20 from the university.

I can prove enough property in India and also good bank balance for the I20.

My concern is that the officer might argue that since I already have a MS from US and have worked here, I will not come back as I did not come back after my MS in 2003?!

Likewise, there is a always a possibility of a denial in the transfer of H1 to F1 also? Is that correct?

If I do travel to India, I will interview at the Delhi Consulate as I belong to North India near Delhi originally.

My parents are both very well settled in India, I have one elder sister who is in USA with her husband (both are qualified doctors)

Please suggest ASAP

Thanks

zz
Hello,

I came to the US in 2003 on a F1 visa and did a MS in Mechanical Engineering from a top univ in USA. Following graduation in December 2005, I worked first on OPT till Oct 2006 and then have been working on H1-b visa since then.

Now this year I got accepted at a top 20 university in USA for a full time MBA with partial scholarship. The course will start in August 2009

I am still in USA. In April my present company had 20% layoffs and I was one of them. Luckily I found another company which transferred my H1b.

however this transfer was filed in mid april and is still pending with INS. I believe that it might get approved any day now.

Now my query is that should I wait to get the H1 transfer complete and then apply for a Change of Status to F1 No need while H1 transfer pending you can apply F1 transfer or should I travel to India and get my passport stamped with a new F1? I have heard some bad stories of F1 getting rejected recently due to the bad economy. True I already have my I-20 from the university.

I can prove enough property in India and also good bank balance for the I20. It may not work in your favor.

My concern is that the officer might argue that since I already have a MS from US and have worked here, I will not come back as I did not come back after my MS in 2003?! YES, possibility of he may deny your F1
Likewise, there is a always a possibility of a denial in the transfer of H1 to F1 also? Is that correct? YES. But there are ways to get it transfered to F1. I personally done several H1 to F1 last 14 years in US
If I do travel to India, I will interview at the Delhi Consulate as I belong to North India near Delhi originally. Lucky thing is "Delhi" you do not expect much surprise like one in Chennai.In Delhi not musch F1 denial
My parents are both very well settled in India, I have one elder sister who is in USA with her husband (both are qualified doctors)

Please suggest ASAP

Thanks

I am in similar situation H1 COS to F1. Guru, how should I do the cover letter to indicate strong ties? Please help.....

Not the cover letter alone will do.
Your course, the necessity to do that course, your financial capacity, tuition fees etc counts.

I am in similar situation H1 COS to F1. Guru, how should I do the cover letter to indicate strong ties? Please help.....

Guru: Is it true that COS from H1 to F1 must be within 30 days before school starts? Some people said this, some people said no. I know that 30 days applied for first entry, and need more info on COS.

My expiration to School starts = 63 days. Can I still COS?