Urgent Pls reply

ravi kat

Registered Users (C)
I am here in the US on a H-4 visa. I intend to work for a leading tax consultancy as a volunteer tax consultant (without taking money for the work i do). I have a few of questions :

1) Can I work as a volunteer tax consultant without pay under H4 visa.This will give me much needed US work experience that would be useful for me to get a job when I get my EAD ( through my husband ).

2) I believe the company will charge customers fees for any services provided by me. Is this ok ?

3) My husband will be applying for I 140/I 485 within the next 3-6 months. Will my volunteer work affect our GC application in any way. Will we be questioned ( perhaps during a AOS interview ) about the work I did with the company ? If yes how can i prove to INS that i did not take any money for the services I performed.

Thanks

Shouldnt be a problem as long as you never file a W-4, do not file tax returns and have a letter from the agency that you did not receive any remunerations for your service. (also do not provide them your soc. sec #). However, it is going to be hard to prove that there were no cash transactions, if the INS really wants to question you.

As are most INS rules, if the INS does question you ( unlikely as it might be) it will be necessary for you to prove that you never did work for compensation (i.e., by default they will assume that you did, unless you can prove otherwise). Would recommend you either get a part-time H1 or wait until you get your EAD just to be safe.

Not sure how the company can charge customers without paying you - the company may be doing something illegal - and you may not want to get caught up in it, since you're only a few months away from getting your EAD.