--URGENT-- Permanent Residency Question: H-1B expiring soon

odogi

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,
I'm currently on an H-1B in the US that is expiring in Feb 2007. I want to apply for Permanent Residency in Canada while still in the US. I have 2 questions:
(1) If I return to my home country (Bosnia) after my H-1B expires in the US, how will this affect the processing of my Canadian Permanent Residency? Should I wait and apply from my home country?
(2) Alternatively, can I go to Canada on a visitor visa, switch to a work permit later in order to stay in Canada until my permanent residency is approved?

Appreciate any response soon,
Odogi

1. As long as you were admitted to the US for more than 1 year on your H1B Visa you can apply for PR through Canada. All they require is that, your residency was issued for a minimum of one year.

What you should bear in mind that, if you leave the States and CIC calls you for an interview, this would be conducted in the USA and not Bosnia. You should weigh your options of obtaining a B1/B2 visa for this. I suggest you check the timeline in Bosnia and compare it to Bufallo to check which is better. Your Call mate!

2. You can go to CND on a visitor's visa all you want and arrange for employment but your work permit needs to be issued by a Visa post or Cross the border to the States and come back for issuance at the border. This is risky assuming you do not have a US visa at the time. You would have to go home to process your work permit application.

I know how you are feeling since your H1B is expiring so you want a way out but make the right decisions under the circumstances.