Urgent - My i-485 approved before June 1rst - How about my wife ?

GC_Govinda

Registered Users (C)
Guru's
I am in a strange situation. I never received a scond FP notification for more than 2 years, never received any mail that my i-485 is approved, but today when I called USCIS to change the address, they are saing that my card is approved and they mailed the document on April 30th.
My PD is sept 2002 - EB3 - India and I applied for my i-485 in april 2004. I got married later and because of retrogression, could not file for my wife's i-485 and now when I got ready to file for her - this is the situation.
What can be done ?

Please advise.

suprise weekend gift??

Congrats on your 485 Approval.......

Did you really say
EB3 (India), PD SEP02
485 RD - APR-04

I think there is glitch somewhere.
I will say prepare all documents to apply for wife's 485 come June 1st.

BTW, what does your online case status say?? when is your last LUD?

Guru's
I am in a strange situation. I never received a scond FP notification for more than 2 years, never received any mail that my i-485 is approved, but today when I called USCIS to change the address, they are saing that my card is approved and they mailed the document on April 30th.
My PD is sept 2002 - EB3 - India and I applied for my i-485 in april 2004. I got married later and because of retrogression, could not file for my wife's i-485 and now when I got ready to file for her - this is the situation.
What can be done ?

Please advise.

What does your online status say? Which service center was it? If it is really approved then there is nothing to worry. USCIS have approved GCs in the past without PD being current. As far as your FP is concerned, you can even get finger printed after approval. Check what your approval notice says.

Congratulations btw..

I did not get the approval notice or the card yet.

I got these messages online -

On May 8th - this was the status - it was just online and I did not get it in email.
Application Type: I485, APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS

Current Status: Document mailed to applicant.

On April 30, 2007 we mailed the document to the address we have on file. You should receive the new document within 30 days. If you do not, or if you move before you get it, call customer service.

Before - this was the message emailed to me

Application Type: I485 , APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR
TO ADJUST STATUS

Current Status: Document OTHER THAN CARD manufactured and mailed.

On April 12, 2007, we mailed the document we manufactured based on our
earlier approval of this case, and mailed it to the address on we have
on file. You should receive the new document within 30 days. If you do
not, or if you move before you get it, call customer service.

In both the caes I did not receive anything.

Now the cust service is saying that they mailed the card - I just dint understand that these guys can screw - this way also !!!

What to do for my wife's i-485 - all these days she was on h4 and now this ???
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

What does your online status say? Which service center was it? If it is really approved then there is nothing to worry. USCIS have approved GCs in the past without PD being current. As far as your FP is concerned, you can even get finger printed after approval. Check what your approval notice says.

Congratulations btw..

Govind

Please talk to your lawyer ASAP. The only issue I could see is that your wife is in H4 without pending I485.

If my understanding is correct, USCIS is not supposed to approve your case when the PD is not current.

If USCIS corrects its mistake by next week, you can send your wife's I-485 petition on the May 31st and make sure it reaches the next day (June 1st 2007).

GC Govinda,

This is not approval. I think you missed your FP notice or some other notice. USCIS updates the status like document mailed when they resent the FP notices or any other notice. USCIS Reps does not know anything about status message like “document other than card …” and telling to people to that it gets approved. But really it is not. If you did not update Address, update your address immediately with USCIS.

It is clearly an approval notice. Sice, your PD is not current this may be a mistake or someething wrong wit USCIS. Contact lawyer/USCIS about the mistake as your spose yet to file 485.

does anyone think these guys are at USCIS are playing game,

here they approve a case when his PD is not current and his is not yet filed I485, if this guy gets GC he may not able to apply for his wife, atleast without spending $$$ on attorney

itz not really funny

I got these messages online -

On May 8th - this was the status - it was just online and I did not get it in email.
Application Type: I485, APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS

On April 30, 2007 we mailed the document to the address we have on file. You should receive the new document within 30 days. If you do not, or if you move before you get it, call customer service.

Before - this was the message emailed to me

Application Type: I485 , APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR
TO ADJUST STATUS

Current Status: Document OTHER THAN CARD manufactured and mailed.

On April 12, 2007, we mailed the document we manufactured based on our
earlier approval of this case, and mailed it to the address on we have
on file. You should receive the new document within 30 days. If you do
not, or if you move before you get it, call customer service.

In both the caes I did not receive anything.

Now the cust service is saying that they mailed the card - I just dint understand that these guys can screw - this way also !!!

What to do for my wife's i-485 - all these days she was on h4 and now this ???
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This is not a approval..

Check my status .. My address wasn't updated so the FP notice went back

On March 22, 2007 we mailed the document to the address we have on file. You should receive the new document within 30 days. If you do not, or if you move before you get it, call customer service.

Infopass

I think the fastest way to get to the bottom of this would be to take an infopass appt and find out what exactly it is? because as far as I know even attorney might not be able to find out exactly what happened that fast.

I think you have already tried calling the USCIS no and it hasn't helped right?

It is clearly an approval notice. Sice, your PD is not current this may be a mistake or someething wrong wit USCIS. Contact lawyer/USCIS about the mistake as your spose yet to file 485.

this is not approval. this is some other notification like confirmation of Address change or response to enquiry or something similar.

Defintely not an approval notice.

Yes.. i think its not a approval notice.
For me also same thing happend.. i took a infopass appointment on May 16th,
on the evening of 16th, i got a LUD message like " USCIS has received mail back.. some serious issues..please update the address immediatly"
matter of fact i am residing at the same address from last two years and i am receiving all my USCIS correspondence correctly.
On May 17th i got LUD message that "USCIS mailed some document and expect in 30 days" .. so far nothing received.. saw similar message from another poster...it seems its message glitch...

Regards

I also got the same situation...

EB2
PD - Feb/2004 -- Now it has become current since June bulletin.

I got FP2 (code 1) in last week of April to appear on 5/9/2007.

got email on 5/7 - Notice returned as undeliverable
got another email on 5/8 - Document mailed to applicant

And....If you do not receive in 30 days call....

I have done my FP2 on 5/9 - no LUDs yet

Called CS - he said "Document mailed" means we sent the GC (approval) and if you do not receive it within 30 days call us back.

I said, I did my FP after this email. I have not received any email about my 485 approval, my wife's status is not changed. Are you sure it is an approval. He said, When there is a message like this means approval notice sent to you...

I did not argue much but will call after 30days as it is only one week left and I think, I am not getting any documents in next 7-10 days.

Will update this post if I get something in next few days or about my next call...

Please update if anyone has same situation and got something real...

I got LUD message on 17th, May and so far i never received anything.
I did my FP (code 3) only one time ie Jan 2004 and after that i am just giving FP's for EAD's (3 times). i guess code 1
For my wife's I-485,no change.
USCIS customer service (800 number) telling all contradict information.. some people telling customer service are providing case info like Name check cleared...etc.. and when ever i called i got only the online message which i can see.. now new info from your post from customer service .." GC might have mailed".. and online message is same as like you..
without FP (more than 15months) i am not sure how a GC can be mailed.. Hope they might send approval notice asking to take FP at that time..
Anyways still USCIS has to change lot with respect to customer service..

Regards

I also got the same situation...

EB2
PD - Feb/2004 -- Now it has become current since June bulletin.

I got FP2 (code 1) in last week of April to appear on 5/9/2007.

got email on 5/7 - Notice returned as undeliverable
got another email on 5/8 - Document mailed to applicant

And....If you do not receive in 30 days call....

I have done my FP2 on 5/9 - no LUDs yet

Called CS - he said "Document mailed" means we sent the GC (approval) and if you do not receive it within 30 days call us back.

I said, I did my FP after this email. I have not received any email about my 485 approval, my wife's status is not changed. Are you sure it is an approval. He said, When there is a message like this means approval notice sent to you...

I did not argue much but will call after 30days as it is only one week left and I think, I am not getting any documents in next 7-10 days.

Will update this post if I get something in next few days or about my next call...

Please update if anyone has same situation and got something real...

Guru's
What can be done ?

Please advise.

Hi GC_Govinda

If it is your approval, and they sent doc on April 30 th - did you received any thing?

If you got married before your GC approval , you are fine. you can apply for your Wife - showing that you got married before approval date. Check with your attorney.

I know one similar case- this is two years back. One of my friend got married, and before his wife came on H-4 and applied GC for her, he got approved. he talked to his attorny, and attorney suggested her to go back to India , as her H-4 is not valid any more. She went to India, his attorney filed GC for her - saying GC holder ( Prime applicant) got married before approval. after 6 months or so his wife went to US consulate in INDIA and got GC and came back to USA.

Check with your attorney.

It is called "FOLLOW TO JOIN". We did successfully to years back for one my friends. You have to file I-824 and you can do on your own also.

Sree..

Hi GC_Govinda

If it is your approval, and they sent doc on April 30 th - did you received any thing?

If you got married before your GC approval , you are fine. you can apply for your Wife - showing that you got married before approval date. Check with your attorney.

I know one similar case- this is two years back. One of my friend got married, and before his wife came on H-4 and applied GC for her, he got approved. he talked to his attorny, and attorney suggested her to go back to India , as her H-4 is not valid any more. She went to India, his attorney filed GC for her - saying GC holder ( Prime applicant) got married before approval. after 6 months or so his wife went to US consulate in INDIA and got GC and came back to USA.

Check with your attorney.

Can you tell me more about "Follow to Join" ?

Hello Sree,
Can you tell me more about it ?
I did not receive the document but the cust service are saying that they sent the card.
I contacted a lawyer and he did not mention anything about I-824 or follow to join document.
He saud that my wife will now come under family category and that I have to file for i-130 and wait for 5-7 years or so and then when the visa number becomes available - only then I can file for i-485 for her. Until then she has to maintain her status.
Good that she is not on H4 and recently last year, her H1 got approved and he says that she has to maintain her H1 status until then.
Sree, can you give me details on how you guys did it and who you have approached ?
That will be really helpful.

Thanks.

It is called "FOLLOW TO JOIN". We did successfully to years back for one my friends. You have to file I-824 and you can do on your own also.

Sree..

no, your wife will not come under family category as you are married when you got I485 approved.
In general, one has to go through CP instead of I485 when they go with follow to join, but if she is already in the US on H1 or so, well, there might be the way to do it in the US with I485.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi GC_Govinda,
Based on your message....it's definitely not an approval notice....

For approval, one gets an approved email, then card ordered email...etc...

The message you got is a common message - when somebody gets their mail returned to USCIS...like address changes/VSC to TSC transfer notice etc...

I would say, if your case is gonna be current in June 1 2007, just hurry up and file your wife's 485...if possible...

This message is commonly mistaked by USCIS reps as approval...They are dumb...don't trust them....

I alread got these message 3 times during 1.5 years of my I485 wait...once for address change, other times for missed FP notice...

Check with your lawyer if the document is a missed FP notice

last time, one guy got this message and he was in India and it turned out to be FP notice...when he called TSC....guess what did they tell him....that it's approval! HEE HEE! Those dumb reps!

I am tired and sick of convincing people - that this message does not stand for approval...

Which fool in this forum thinks - that the message "Document other than card mailed to applicant" stands for approval message?
If you don' know shit...why the heck are you misguiding this guy!