Urgent: Lost Orginal I-9 Doc(attched in Passport) while being out of US on vacation

CanadaIndianGuy

Registered Users (C)
hi all, I am a TN1 visa holder ( canadian working in USA) which is valid till 28th Apr 08.

There is some situation that came up ,while I am in Fiji on vacation till 31st Aug at the moment. Before taking off from the LA airport, I dropped off the ORIGINAL I-9 document (Attached to canadian passport indicating my valid TN1 status). It is something unfortunate mistake, that the stappled document got dropped off somewhere while the Air ticket counter staff were checking my passport at some point of time. And, I could notice this only when I was inside the Plane.

I tried to contact US embassy over here several times, but I was hardly able to get any answers. And, they only advised me to go through the website of "department of homeland Security" Or CBP ( customs Border protection) to check about what am i supposed to do now.

Now I am worried , whether I will face problems while re-entering into USA after a few days. Hopefully, the photocopy of I-9 form ( that I have got with me) should be fine, because I still have the Stamping of TN validity on my Canadian Passport. I am trying to get some help from any places as possible. I will also try to call the Customs Department in US. But, it is not very easyy to call international calls from here, and I am at least be able to use the internet with mediocre speed in Fiji at moment.

Whether any of you would know, what am I supposed to do now when I will enter into LA ( my port of entry in USA) on 31st Aug ( without having an Orginal I-9 form with me)??

Luckily I have got Photocopies of my TN1 letter from my company. But, I dont have the Credential Evaluation letter copy for my Engg. Degree certificate. I am trying to show them maximum proof of my Valid TN status in US, when I would land at Port of Entry in LA airport.

Please let me know, if someone knows whether I-9 form photocopy may be enough for me Or how do I obtain the new Orginal I-9 document while being in Fiji?? Meanwhile, i am trying to go through and contact the right department in US ( though i am very far from USA and so, am not able to get much help from here at moment). Which department in USA can be able to answer me this question, if I want to call them from here?? Can anyone give me the phone number Or email id of the right department?

Waiting for your answers...thanks a lot in advance!!

I'm sure you are rewferring to I-94. The I-9 is something else. Please correct your post.

The copy you took with you should be sufficient.

Probably he means to say I-94, and if thats the case, what I think that airline people took the I-94 out from his passport and he is thinking that he lost it.

If thats the case, you don't need to worry, on your arrival at the airport you have to show them the photocopy of your last expired I-94 and they will check their record and issue you the new I-94.

HTH

you should have returned it to the US immigration when you were leaving US. as nelsona says if you have a copy, that is more than enough.

No worries - on your return - the airline will provide you a I-94 request form on the plane before you land, fill it out and the Immigration officer will stamp it.
Unfortunately this may not be a MULTIPLE entry that you received originally with your TN Visa - so you may have to do this each time you travel abroad.

thanks lots! another question about marriage - TD visa

Guys,

I am truely greatful for your answers; and i would be able to enjoy Rest of my vacations in Peace now. Now, I am sure that , LA authorities had taken away my I-94 form.

Now, I am getting married to a girl in Fiji after 2 days. She May get her passport in 2-3 days. If she gets her passport and if we are already married, What is the procedure to get the Spouse visa Or TD visa for her. Am I supposed to go to the US embassy with my Wife and her Passport?

I am just wondering , whether I could take her with me to US on the Spouse TD visa right away ( in case she gets her Passport and Visa stamping done before 31st Aug).

It would be nice, if someone can inform me about the Procedure for TD visa; and whether I have a chance to bring her to US on TD visa within next few days of time!! Ideally, I should have enquired this procedure before I left USA. But well, i was not sure about the marriage at that time.

hope to hear some feedback from you guys again!
thanks again for valuable advices...

She needs a consular TD visa before entry. Only Cdn/Mex spouses do not need visa for entry on TD.

No worries - on your return - the airline will provide you a I-94 request form on the plane before you land, fill it out and the Immigration officer will stamp it.
Unfortunately this may not be a MULTIPLE entry that you received originally with your TN Visa - so you may have to do this each time you travel abroad.

TN status is always multiple entry, irrespective of the "multiple entry" stamp on your I-94.

This seems like an obvious statement but you would need a marriage certificate for certain stating that you are legally married...not sure how long that takes...but its worth asking the consular office in Fiji. They may want an official one from the government, which also may take time.