Urgent help needed! Past 212E restriction/AOS

Luci_merlion

Registered Users (C)
Hi!

I feel I'm going crazy. Here's what happened. I recently got married and hired a lawyer to adjust my status from F1 to permanent resident. Now the problem is that in 2001 I came in the U.S. and had stamped on my passport "bearer subject to 212 E section." I went back before visa expired and stayed in my country 8 months, then I return on another J1, this time not subject to 212E requirement. Then went back again and returned in 2003 with another J1. In 2003 I applied to change of status and was on F1 since then. I am currently on OPT.
Do I need to apply for waiver for 2001 212E? Will I have any problems because I am now married to U.S. citizen? Please help. Thank you!!!

Do I need to apply for waiver for 2001 212E?
you do, if you are in fact a subject, unless you want to go home to sit out the remainder of the sentence.

Will I have any problems because I am now married to U.S. citizen?
in what sense?

do read topics in J-1 subforum, we cover waivers there very extensively.

Lucy, I was hoping you will respond. I read in your signiture you also needed the waiver at one point. God, do I still need it even if they issued another J1 visas for 2002 and 2003. Will I have trouble getting the waiver if I just got married? I will go to read the other forum, but if you can respond here, I would appreciate it. I feel like crying, really...I haven't been home for almost 4 years and I feel I'm going crazy. I will meet with my lawyer on Wednesday to show her my old passport, but it sounds like bad news=need waiver. :(