URGENT HELP - AP - Going to India

Dec02

Registered Users (C)
I received two original copies of AP.

Is it necessary to take only one copy or two copies is required.

whats the procedures at the port of departure and at the port of entry in india. can any one give clear explanation how one should deal with AP.

what other documents are necessary to take along with AP

thanks in advance. please respond by monday evening.
Thanks for all ur help

keep both copies

one copy may be kept by the airlines at the indian airport. the nother copy will be stamped and returned back to you by the ins at your port of entry.

Is AP a single entry/Multiple entry doc?

Can we re-use AP again if we have to travel twice?

Take both copies with you. There is nothing to do with AP when entering India.

When departing they will ask for US VISA/GC etc. Show them your AP. They will make a copy of it for their records. DO NOT let them keep the original. AP is a US immigration document and the airlines has no right/need to keep the original. In fact this happnned to one of my friends and the INS officer was upset that he let the airlines keep the original. He told my friend not to make the mistake again and stamped his second original. Airlines can keep a copy of it for their records.

Upon entry into US, you will be sent to a secondary inspection room to check the details and verify the AP. They will stamp your AP and your passport. NO I-94 needed. Only one copy will be stamped.

Yes, you can use AP multiple times before its validity is over. Just make sure that you enter the US before the expiry date on the AP.

Have fun.....

GB

Hey bhidu,

when you say they will ask for GC/Visa at the time/port of departure, what exactly do you mean? I mean that I have travelled before (not on AP though) and I have never been asked that Q by the airlines before. So 3 questions for you:

1. If nobdy asks, does that mean we shouldn't care to tell anyone either about GC processing or AP or 485 pending? If nothing is mentioned, does that mean 485 processing gets dropped automatically?

2. The I-94 card in the passport is surrendered at the airline counter. Is it at that time that we should ensure that we show the AP to the airline official and ask him/her to make a copy?

3. At the port/time of re-entry, the official stamps 1 copy of the AP. So how many do you get to keep? Both of them? Or you just keep the stamped one and the other is kept by the immigration officer?

I guess, under no circumstances, we should leave the airport without having the parolee stamp in the passport and a stamped AP in our hands. Correct?

Thanks in advance,
_this

Last edited by a moderator:
bhidu thanks a lot

I am also leaving US on an emergency tonight.
Your posting is very helpful.
One of the lawyers i spoke to advised the same ( not to surrender
original to the airlines)

Re: Hey bhidu,

Originally posted by this_processing_killsMe
when you say they will ask for GC/Visa at the time/port of departure, what exactly do you mean? I mean that I have travelled before (not on AP though) and I have never been asked that Q by the airlines before. So 3 questions for you:

ANS: When you depart India the airlines are required to check for the VISA/GC/H1 etc for US in along with your passport. Since you wont have any of these, you show them the AP paper. That tells them that you are authorized to enter US.

1. If nobdy asks, does that mean we shouldn't care to tell anyone either about GC processing or AP or 485 pending? If nothing is mentioned, does that mean 485 processing gets dropped automatically?

ANS: The airlines are required by the FCC & US immigration to check for proper documentation for any person entering US. So they have to ask.

2. The I-94 card in the passport is surrendered at the airline counter. Is it at that time that we should ensure that we show the AP to the airline official and ask him/her to make a copy?

ANS: I94 is surrendered when you are departing US. The AP is used to enter the US. When you are leaving US all the aiirlines cares about is your I94 and whether it is valid or not. In fact there have been several occasions when the airlines did not keep my I94 and I had to remind them to take it from me.

3. At the port/time of re-entry, the official stamps 1 copy of the AP. So how many do you get to keep? Both of them? Or you just keep the stamped one and the other is kept by the immigration officer?

ANS: You get to keep both. Normally there is no need to carry both the copies with you as only one is used. But is a good idea to carry both as you never know when they might ask to inspect both copies.

I guess, under no circumstances, we should leave the airport without having the parolee stamp in the passport and a stamped AP in our hands. Correct?

ANS: You will not be allowed to leave without stamping. As soon as you show your AP paper to the INS officer at the booth, he/she will redirect you to a secondary inspection room. There they will take your PP,AP and verify the info. In about 10-15min , they will hand over the stampped AP and PP to you. That's it. No need to worry about it.

Thanks in advance,
_this

Thanks Bhidu! - 2 more Qs..

Your answers confirm my understanding of AP. I guess my only source of confusion was about *the country* (India or US) where airlines official ask for AP/Visa/GC etc.

From your original mail I got confused thinking that the airlines official *here in the USA*, at the time of departure, would ask for AP or we would have to make sure that we show them our AP so that when we leave the US our 485 application doesn't get dropped. That's why I said that the people here have never asked me that question before. All they do is that they take the white I-94 fromt the passport, and that too, like you said, sometimes they have to be reminded.

So, the clarification is that they would ask in India when you are coming back, about the VISA/GC/AP etc. That makes sense.

Just 2 last Qs --

1. How can we ensure that our 485 processing doesn't get dropped when we leave the US? I mean, I will be having AP in my hands when I leave the US, but the airlines officials here won't care or know about that. I would use the AP while re-entering.

and

2. What becomes the fate of the I-94 attached to the H1 paper (the green one)? We surrender the white I-94, but does anyone care about the green I-94?

Thanks a lot bhidu!!

_this

Say If my AP is approved and I have the 2 copies if it.
If I am travelling on H1 ( or H4 for my spouse) all I need to show is my H1-B .

Is that correct? or do I need to show approved AP?

Thanks

Hi itup,
You can enter entirely on H1 if you want to have one not expired on ur passprot. Infact I did the same. Though my AP is approved I entered on H1-B and got I-94 while entering back.

_this

Here are my answers in response to your questions

1. How can we ensure that our 485 processing doesn't get dropped when we leave the US? I mean, I will be having AP in my hands when I leave the US, but the airlines officials here won't care or know about that. I would use the AP while re-entering.

ANS: I485 is INS document . Airlines do not care about your INS processing. All they want to know is that you have proper documentation to enter US. AP is issued by the INS for the sole purpose of enabling the AOS filer to travel while the application in under review. So, as long as you don't stay abroad too long (> 4-5 months) there is nothing that will stop your 485 processing.

2. What becomes the fate of the I-94 attached to the H1 paper (the green one)? We surrender the white I-94, but does anyone care about the green I-94?

ANS: According to the procedure the airlines are supposed to hand over all the I94's to the INS after they collect them. How & if that happens in practice!! I have no clue. The green I94 is for persons who hold a passport of a country that has a VISA waiver arrangement with the US. If you hold a Indian PP, then the green I94 is not applicable to you.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Bhidu

_this

Ignore my second answer. I misunderstood your questiion. The I94 which is attached to the H1 can stay with you for your records. I am not sure if that has to submitted too.

Again, Sorry for the confusion on my earlier post.

Cheers

Bhidu

What happens in this scenario ??

Folks, what happens if a family is travelling outside US;

The Primary applicant has approved AP (H1 Visa stamp expired in Passport)

The spouse & children have valid H4 visa but no AP.

My questions is:

How does family (spouse+children) enter if I-485 gets approved while they are outside US as their H4 gets VOID at I485 approval.

Am I correct. They are stuck isn't it. To avoid, family should have approved AP before they travel outside US.

Since, Primary applicant will be entering on AP , he will have go through secondary inspection. What happens during secondary inspection when INS Inspectors find that his 485 has been approved ?

YOu should have filed for AP for your family too in the I-485 status.They cannot travel with you as their H-4 is now void as you said.Initially, i was reluctant to file for AP for my family but then I realized that if an emergency occurs we can always go out and return without problem and true enough no problem at POE.