Update on preparing a car (Acura MDX) import to USA

Falaj23

Hi guys,

I thought I would update you all on my recent experience in getting the documents ready to import my Acura MDX 2009 to USA. I am planning to go there on a TN visa and my car is paid off.
1. Ensure car is registered with Acura Canada- if not go to any dealer and ask them to input the car details with your ownership. This is quicker than calling Acura and doing it over the phone.
2. After registering with Acura Canada- call them and ask them for a recall clearance letter. They will e-mail it to you within a week
3. Call Acura USA and they will start a case file and ask you to send your DL and ownership.
4. Acura USA will send you the letter of compliance. In my 2009 Acura MDX letter, it said the TPMS and parts marking/theft prevention system had to be checked by a local dealer. The letter stated to go and see them and ask for a Repair Order to have these inspected. The completion of inspection report and the letter would make it a full compliance.
5. Went to my local Acura dealer- got the Repair order and they inspected the TPMS and theft prevention system stated all working fine in the Repair Order. No charge :) which was a bonus especially from the dealership.

I believe I now have a full compliance letter to be submitted at the border.

Thanks

You do not need any compliance letter at the border. You need it only when (and if) you want to register your Canadian Car in the USA - you need it at the DMV office.

The DMV of the state I am going to (GA) is asking for a Customs Form 3520-1. Will the CBP officer not require the compliance letter for the form to be filled out?

Hi,

I am moving my car to Chicago,USA but I still have installments to pay in Canada.

Is it ok to move my car without paying all installments in full?

Thanks

Only your financing firm can answer that. Most do NOT allow this, and require that you pay up before leaving, particularly if dealer-financed, they can hold up the export. Some allow you to continue paying as long as it is through your Cdn bank.
Time to call the people who financed the car.

I am interested in this thread and extremely confused with vehicle import to the USA. In two months I will be moving to Utah on a TN status. I have a 2019 vehicle that is still under financing (loan). I would prefer moving with it and not paying off my outstanding loan balance if possible: for one I love my car, and two I still owe a considerable sum of money on it. In looking at the Utah DMV requirements, they seem to allow some sort of “Registration Only” option for cars without a title. They specify that vehicles with a lien can be registered but information on the lien holder needs to be provided. They don’t seem to require any documentation from CBP as far as I can tell, but I plan to call them to ask next week.
For this “registration only” status, Utah requires: copy of most recent registration, lien holder information, safety emission certificate for vehicles without MSO, and VIN inspection/form. This seems too easy to be true.

However, after reading many forums and blog posts, I am very confused with the import requirements for individuals validating their TN paperwork at the border and crossing with Canadian plates. Will the Canadian plates trigger any questions from the officers? Many people say that Canadians can drive up to one year in the US but persons on a TN visa are not visitors, they are residents. Additionally, Utah, for instance requires new Utah residents to register their vehicles whiting 60 days. How come some states don’t require the import documents? Are we still supposed to import at the border even if not required by the state of residency? What should I tell the officer when crossing the border if I don’t intend to import, will this raise red flags? Any insights would be much appreciated.

The first steps on getting your car to US are taken in Canada. What you are reading from the DMV is for those moving from another US state.

You need a Manufacturer's letter for the Cdn office of the carmaker, showing the your specific car (VIN #)is importable (or importable with modifications) or not. If your car is leased or financed through the carmaker, they will *probably* insist that the car be paid off before issuing the letter. If you financed privately, you should be fine, as ;ong as you keep the current payment arrangement (ie. keep the Cdn bank account open and funded)

As you say, all states consider foreign workers living in the state as residents, and require that residents register and plate their cars in state. That process can vary from state to state (I'll let you figure that out for UT)/ In almost all cases, you need to formally import the car through US customs. That is where some confusion lies with the "one year" policy. That is for those not living in US (like tourists and students). It doesn't usually work for TNers.

Hi Guys,

I came to USA -Chicago from Edmonton last month in my Hyundai Santafe car but my Hyundai Mfg. could not provide me the letter of compliance when I came so could not clear the custom at US CBP border.

Now I got the letter last week and wanted to go for custom clearance so what can be done?

I have completed EPA 3520 & DOT HS-7 and also have letter of compliance.

Experts please guide.

P.S .I called Chicago O Hare custom cargo and POE but they are saying I have to go through designated brokers only.

Is it true or Can I do this by my own?

Thanks

Try at a non-airport POE. It is not true that you must use a customs broker. if that doesn't work you may need to go to a border POE.

Try at a non-airport POE. It is not true that you must use a customs broker. if that doesn't work you may need to go to a border POE.
Hi,

In my letter of compliance Hyundai have stated that;

This vehicle does not meet with the following US Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) and Regulations:

- FMVSS 138: Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)

Now because of this constraint, my broker told me that he can not have this vehicle for custom clearance. I talked to Hyundai dealership also and there is no way they can fix TPMS .

what can be done now?

Thanks

Hi,

In my letter of compliance Hyundai have stated that;

This vehicle does not meet with the following US Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) and Regulations:

- FMVSS 138: Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)

Now because of this constraint, my broker told me that he can not have this vehicle for custom clearance. I talked to Hyundai dealership also and there is no way they can fix TPMS .

what can be done now?

Thanks
My 2012 Kia Sorento did not come equipped with TPMS too. I got the same compliance letter from Kia that my car has met/exceeded expectations with FMVSS except #138: TPMS.
What I did was I bought a $50 external TPMS from Amazon and had it installed by a technician from Canadian Tire. Then I asked for a documentation stating that TPMS was installed on my car. I was able to import my car when I crossed the border on 09 Nov 2021 under TN status. Hope this helps

My 2012 Kia Sorento did not come equipped with TPMS too. I got the same compliance letter from Kia that my car has met/exceeded expectations with FMVSS except #138: TPMS.
What I did was I bought a $50 external TPMS from Amazon and had it installed by a technician from Canadian Tire. Then I asked for a documentation stating that TPMS was installed on my car. I was able to import my car when I crossed the border on 09 Nov 2021 under TN status. Hope this helps
Is there are any additional fee at pay at the border?

Hi, I am a US resident trying to import a Canadian car to US. Acura USA is refusing to give me a compliance letter because I am a US resident and they only issue such letters to Canadian residents. What are my options?

I already got the Recall clearance letter from Acura Canada. I was told by them to call Acura US for the compliance letter. When I did they told me that they only send those letters to people with Canadian driver's license, passport or residency visa. How can a US resident get that letter? Thanks a lot.

Since the guidance is always to get that from the Cdn manufacturer (it is their production after all), I guess you are stuck. I would keep going back to Acura Canada.

Is this a new car? Most carmakers will not allow dealers to sell new cars to those living on other side of the border.