• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Unwanted interview

ryan_84

New Member
Hello,
I have an upcoming interview for my DV case in Sydney. My girlfriend has just landed a very good job and we intend to now stay in Australia for the next couple of years and will consider re-locating to the U.S. later down the track (she's America, so we'd go down the spouse/K-1 visa route)
My question is if I do no longer want to attend my interview and pursue my case further, should I call the KCC/consulate and inform them I won't be attending and to withdraw my application or just not show up at all? Will that look bad the next time I go to the U.S. for a visit? I'd prefer someone else to take my spot since I won't. Just looking for some advice. Thank you
 

SusieQQQ

Well-Known Member
Don't they specifically ask you to let them know if you can't make the interview? I seem to recall that. In any case, yes, and it would take less time to send them that email than it took you to make the post above ;)
 

bici

Member
Hello,
I have an upcoming interview for my DV case in Sydney. My girlfriend has just landed a very good job and we intend to now stay in Australia for the next couple of years and will consider re-locating to the U.S. later down the track (she's America, so we'd go down the spouse/K-1 visa route)
My question is if I do no longer want to attend my interview and pursue my case further, should I call the KCC/consulate and inform them I won't be attending and to withdraw my application or just not show up at all? Will that look bad the next time I go to the U.S. for a visit? I'd prefer someone else to take my spot since I won't. Just looking for some advice. Thank you
My friend: I would advise that you continue with your interview no matter what. Is it 100% guaranteed that you will marry your GF couple of years or even couple of hours from now? Mine is just a friendly reminder- you will know the best.
 

ryan_84

New Member
My friend: I would advise that you continue with your interview no matter what. Is it 100% guaranteed that you will marry your GF couple of years or even couple of hours from now? Mine is just a friendly reminder- you will know the best.
Well no it's not guaranteed. But I know if you receive a green card you have to spend a certain amount of time living in the U.S. Over the next year I think otherwise you lose it, and since we are staying over here I feel like I'll be taking a crucial green card away from someone who wants it now. Appreciate the advice though friend.
 

Sm1smom

Super Moderator
Absolutely nothing is guaranteed in life. Yes, you may end up not marrying your GF years down the road, however, since your immediate plan is to stay put in Australia with her for now, it definitely makes sense to not proceed with the DV selection. Email the embassy (if you've already been scheduled for an interview) and let them know you will not be proceeding any further. That visa can better serve someone who is highly desirous of moving to the U.S. now!
 

bici

Member
I would do this if I were in ryan_84 shoes: I would continue with the rest of DV processing. I would make an entry to the US and receive my GC. I would the file an DS-131 (??-I cannot remember the exact name of this form) for a year or up to two years that I will not be able to maintain my status and have to go back to my home country. If that is approved you will have enough time. In the meanwhile, if all goes well with the GF but you are beyond that 2 years then you may loose your GC obtained through the DV but since your relationship continue you still have time for a spouse sponsored GC. Almost all are already scheduled for their interview. I would not worry anymore if I am stealing from someone else's right here. This is a one-time life ticket and you'd better evaluate all the consequences. Have you ever tried to talk about this issue to your GF? What are her thoughts about this- if not private.
 

SusieQQQ

Well-Known Member
He's Australian, from what I can see. They have more options than most for moving to the U.S. (E whatever visa) and don't exactly come from a third world country. If he wants to give his slot to someone he thinks would use it better, well done to him.
 

Knite

Member
Keep all options opened. Go to the interview and activate the green card. Do what Bici advised and you'll have enough time to find out your future with her. Noboy shall benefit on Giving up on the interview. At this stage of Dv2015 it's too late.
 

usamommy2015

Active Member
Courtesy demands if you can't make the interview, you email the embassy to let them know. Whether you pursue your application or not is a choice best made by you.
 

Alien2010

Registered Users (C)
Imho, I would do what @bici suggested. The biggest issue I see in your situation is: Will the GF see your getting a green card as a lack of commitment (to the relationship) on your part (as in hmmm he is keeping his options open)?
Obviously this is a very private matter and I am not looking for an answer. All I am saying is, that would be something to take into account.
Best of luck whichever way you choose.
 

EmilyW

Well-Known Member
You can let the KCC know. Alternatively, when your case is current and scheduled for interview, Sydney Consulate will send you an email requesting that you confirm whether you are attending or not. You could wait until then to let them know directly.

Either way, if you're sure you don't want the GC, then letting them know is the right and ethical thing to do. It frees up a GC for a grateful OCer. :)
 

guestgulkan

Well-Known Member
Well no it's not guaranteed. But I know if you receive a green card you have to spend a certain amount of time living in the U.S. Over the next year I think otherwise you lose it, and since we are staying over here I feel like I'll be taking a crucial green card away from someone who wants it now. Appreciate the advice though friend.

You can wait 18 months before moving there - 6 months to activate then 1 year to move. You could extend that further with a re-entry permit. See here.
 

Banangeh

Active Member
I would do this if I were in ryan_84 shoes: I would continue with the rest of DV processing. I would make an entry to the US and receive my GC. I would the file an DS-131 (??-I cannot remember the exact name of this form) for a year or up to two years that I will not be able to maintain my status and have to go back to my home country. If that is approved you will have enough time. In the meanwhile, if all goes well with the GF but you are beyond that 2 years then you may loose your GC obtained through the DV but since your relationship continue you still have time for a spouse sponsored GC. Almost all are already scheduled for their interview. I would not worry anymore if I am stealing from someone else's right here. This is a one-time life ticket and you'd better evaluate all the consequences. Have you ever tried to talk about this issue to your GF? What are her thoughts about this- if not private.
I agree with you this is a chance of a lifetime n.maybe ask pple who have been trying 10 years or more in vain to even get selected with high CN:(
 

EURO2014

Well-Known Member
I agree with you this is a chance of a lifetime n.maybe ask pple who have been trying 10 years or more in vain to even get selected with high CN:(
Well, what may be a "chance of a lifetime" for some, might not be so for another, depending on many, very personal factors. The decision whether or not to emigrate in the foreseeable future from ones home country, which is what a Green Card process implicitly requires as it is not just some form of "Super Visa", can and should be carefully considered and ultimately decided by the affected person only, in my opinion. Most unfortunate, however, are those cases where DV's are being obtained, well knowing in advance that emigration is not in the cards at all from a family perspective - many unfortunately from my country of birth and other parts of the highly developed world. This, together with high "home country return rates" after a year or two, obviously is very detrimental to the success of the DV program in its current form and shape :(
 

bici

Member
Well, what may be a "chance of a lifetime" for some, might not be so for another, depending on many, very personal factors. The decision whether or not to emigrate in the foreseeable future from ones home country, which is what a Green Card process implicitly requires as it is not just some form of "Super Visa", can and should be carefully considered and ultimately decided by the affected person only, in my opinion. Most unfortunate, however, are those cases where DV's are being obtained, well knowing in advance that emigration is not in the cards at all from a family perspective - many unfortunately from my country of birth and other parts of the highly developed world. This, together with high "home country return rates" after a year or two, obviously is very detrimental to the success of the DV program in its current form and shape :(
Where were you from EURO2014? Was it Italy?
 
Top