United Nations?

leah111

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
---first, I am aware of this is not employement section but I couldnt find a not visa but employement section.---

I was wondering, if I applied to UN, would they hire me, would they let me work in the US? I live in the states and I would love to work for them but I am not sure if I could live here as well.

Thank you!

Hi,
---first, I am aware of this is not employement section but I couldnt find a not visa but employement section.---

I was wondering, if I applied to UN, would they hire me, would they let me work in the US? I live in the states and I would love to work for them but I am not sure if I could live here as well.

Thank you!

You have to have work authorization and status to work in the USA, the UN will not sponsor you for a visa

Hi,

Thank you!

If you are a permanent resident, you will have to forfeit it if you are offered employment at the UN. The current rule is that you will have to get a G visa, alternatively if you are a US Citizen then you can work there with no restrictions if offered employment. Go to the UN recruitment website, all this is listed there.

Good luck.

I have a friend who has worked for the un for years, she tells me she can get a green card when she retires and she has a G visa too

Does the same apply to non-diplomatic "local staff"? For example, the people who work at the UN facility as gardners, electricians, drivers, etc?

If you are a permanent resident, you will have to forfeit it if you are offered employment at the UN.

Thank you all!

Do you think it is hard to get a job there? I mean, lets see I have the education but I would need some experience -or at least recommendation from someone.

How does the procedure goes? Interview here, that go back home to apply for visa?
Appreciate your inputs!

G visa....

Does the same apply to non-diplomatic "local staff"? For example, the people who work at the UN facility as gardners, electricians, drivers, etc?

The vast majority of people who are classified as facilities staff are local staff, who belong to contractors which has a contract with the UN. As a result, they are not offered a G visa, unless they are directly hired by UN to supervise or manage the facilities. You can work for the UN as a secretary, program assistant and still have a G visa, as long as you are a staff of the UN. G visa is not restricted to people who have a diplomatic tag, all staff offered employment by organizations such World Bank, UN are eligible for a G visa. ;)

Susan,

Your friend will ONLY be eligible for a greencard after a continuous employment at the UN for a period of 15 years, and the UN has to recognize her as a retiree to be eligible for a greencard which is supposed to be applied for within 12 months of leaving the UN. :cool:

The OP will be eligible for a G visa if offered employment by the UN. However, if she or he violated a previous visa issued by the USCIS, then it will be a tough review of the G application form, which he or she will eventually get, because the State Dept will prevail over diplomatic matters pertaining to international organizations, unless he or she is a criminal sought by the Interpol....:D

G visa is the easiest visa to get by anyone, because it is contain certain diplomatic perks....:D

Thank you all!

Do you think it is hard to get a job there? I mean, lets see I have the education but I would need some experience -or at least recommendation from someone.

How does the procedure goes? Interview here, that go back home to apply for visa?
Appreciate your inputs!

Leah,

I can assure you that getting a job at the UN will be one of the most difficult tasks you will ever undertake, apart from attempting to obtain a GC.:eek:

Education alone will not do it, because you will need a strong work experience ranging from a minimum of 6 1/2 years in your field, and demonstrate practical knowledge and technical expertise. It will take anywhere from 30-180 days for interviewers to get back to you about employment opportunities there. The UN system is very bureaucratic and cumbersome, but you should keep your hopes up. I am talking w/o knowing your work experience after all, it is possible that you meet their minimum requirements and you might get a job there.

Assuming that you are offered a job there, you will either have to go to Canada to be issued your G visa. The State Dpt takes almost a year to issue an endorsement for a G visa, but your job might require that you travel overseas a lot, so you will need to have a proper visa and UNLP. If you have a visa overstay or J1 with 2yr home requirement, G visa supercede this requirement and DOS will honor a G visa request from the UN.

Good luck...

Thank you.

Yes, I am an overstay. I have no problem leaving the country for a new visa. I love traveling anyway.
Well, education that is requied I do have. 2 years experience on some openings that I recently saw. I am not trying to be a "big head" over there, not an attaché. Something with the secretary dept. or tourism board.

I am not speculating to get GC thru them, I would actially like to work for them, and this way I could live here legally.

Thank you again!