Unemployment Benefits for Aliens ie on TN

What's your question.

You can't get unemployment benefits in the US, as you are not authorized to work in the US right now. But you can get the unemployment credits transferred to Canada and you can get the unemployment benefits in Canada.

This was for information to tell the TN candidates to get UI if they are laid off either living in USA or living in Canada and have worked in USA.
You will get UI.

Interesting
Nimic2002 where are you currently living? US or Canada?
If in US, what is your current immigration status? When does it expire?

If you are in the US in visitor status, or any other status where you are not authorized to work for any employer, you are not eligible for unemployment benefits. If you got it, there was a mistake, or you made some kind of false claim on your application. Do not tell other people to commit fraud.

Why will USA pay a person if they are in Canada? Why will Canada pay for that person who earned in USD?

Just because you can move to Canada after losing a job in USA is Canada not entitled to pay? Is there a link to file for unemployment through Canada after losing job in USA?

Last edited:
I have to delete your post @Nimc2002. What you’ve described is not allowed legally. Since this forum does not support members violating immigration rules and trying to justify it, the post cannot be allowed to remain.

here is a link to file for EI (or UI) in Canada based on working in US
https://www.canada.ca/en/employment...s/ei/ei-list/reports/outside-canada.html#h2.3

incase the link is broken, here is a cut and paste of text
How to file a claim for American Unemployment Insurance benefits
To file a claim for American Unemployment Insurance benefits, you must call the Telephone Information Service or go to the nearest Service Canada Centre. You will be asked to give your name, address, phone number, Social Insurance Number (SIN) and Social Security Number (SSN) and indicate the state from which you want to claim benefits. Depending on the state in which you last worked, you may be able to file a claim directly with the workforce development agency for that state via the Internet or by phone. If the workforce development agency for that state does not accept claims via the Internet or by phone, information will be forwarded to a designated office responsible for handling such claims based on where you reside in Canada. You may also contact the designated Service Canada Centre directly.

You must provide proof that your employment in the United States was authorized by American immigration regulations and that you are available for and actively seeking work in Canada. If you are not a Canadian resident, you will be asked for proof that you are authorized to work in Canada.

The procedure is quite well-established, and starts with re-establishing Cdn residency, and contacting service Canada. THEY and the state UI will then co-ordinate between themselves, and determine if you are eligible, and which organization pays you.

The procedure is quite well-established, and starts with re-establishing Cdn residency, and contacting service Canada. THEY and the state UI will then co-ordinate between themselves, and determine if you are eligible, and which organization pays you.
Okay

Hello - thank you for your guidance. You seem quite knowledgeable with this - have you / anyone you know had success with this? After several calls to Service Canada (and even in person visit), they claim they cannot help and I need to coordinate with NYS (who says I can’t receive benefits because I’m not there). Any insight would be much appreciated!

You need to talk to someone else at Service canada. New york is correct to deny your claim, until you prove that you have moved to Canada. As the above webpage indicates, Service Canada should be helping you collect from NY, but has ultimate responsibility to pay EI to its eligible Cdn residents.

Thanks for the response - appreciate you taking the time to reply. I agree with what you’re saying as it’s only fair and makes sense - but something must have changed. I have spoken to 5+ people in various departments and even went in to a Service Canada office (and pulled up the web page to show them). They all say that many people from various states have contacted them and are in the same boat - but there is nothing they can do. One suggested I file a complaint with SC so that may be next... that may get them to reach out NY about the reciprocal agreement atleast.
Will post here if I have any luck!

It's not a matter of 'fair and making sense': never rely on bureaucrats for either. It's a matter of regulation and upholding the agreements.

Waited on hold 2 hours to speak with Service Canada / EI. After an hour on phone with him, he agrees to escalate the call. I get a call back the next day from someone senior at EI she says she has never dealt with this before and despite reading the website to her, she says they don’t handle American claims (unless the company you worked for in the US was a Canadian company). I just need someone on the Canadian side to listen - to take up the issue with regards to reciprocal agreement. She told me to write my MP. Does anyone else have any ideas or know of anyone who has had success with Service Canada? After speaking to about 10+ people there and getting no where, I’m getting disheartened.