U Visa

I have a few questions regarding this visa (U visa; Victims of crimes):

1. I was a victim of armed robbery at my job around 1998 in the U.S. I have 2 children, around that time they were minors. Now they are older than 18 years of age. The armed robbery was documented, I received a letter from the county and it appeared in the newspaper. Would this qualify for the U-Visa.

2. How can I find an honest lawyer?

3. How long does the process take?

I'm sorry if this doesn't belong in this section.. I didn't know where else to post.

Thank you for the help if any.

TheRealCanadian

Volunteer Moderator
I was a victim of armed robbery at my job around 1998 in the U.S. I have 2 children, around that time they were minors. Now they are older than 18 years of age. The armed robbery was documented, I received a letter from the county and it appeared in the newspaper. Would this qualify for the U-Visa.
Nice try, but no.

TheRealCanadian

Volunteer Moderator
Read the requirements for the U visa. You need a certification from the head of your local law enforcement agency, and you need to be a victim of a specific set of crimes. The U visa isn't a get out of jail free card for victims of crime.

Read the requirements for the U visa. You need a certification from the head of your local law enforcement agency, and you need to be a victim of a specific set of crimes. The U visa isn't a get out of jail free card for victims of crime.
Quite frankly it seems as if your perspective of this case is me being the aggressor. Actually, I was the victim; As I recall on the requirements to file for the U-Visa I believe my case applies as one of the requirements is "victim of a felonious assault". As for certification and other documents required I can obtain them.

TheRealCanadian

Volunteer Moderator
Quite frankly it seems as if your perspective of this case is me being the aggressor.
No, my perspective is that 13 years after the fact you're trying to get a U visa. Why did you wait so long??

As for certification and other documents required I can obtain them.
Your local chief of police has agreed to file an I-918? The certification is specific; a police report will not do.

No, my perspective is that 13 years after the fact you're trying to get a U visa. Why did you wait so long??

Your local chief of police has agreed to file an I-918? The certification is specific; a police report will not do.

The reason for which I am inquiring information about this visa many years after the crime is because I never expected this kind of program available. My local newspaper states that this U-Visa program started nearly three years ago. I was assaulted at gun point at a convenience store where I worked and cooperated with law enforcement to testify against the aggressor in court. He was given eleven years of incarceration without a chance of early release for good conduct. My concern is if my case applies because of the time that passed since the event.

TheRealCanadian

Volunteer Moderator
I was assaulted at gun point at a convenience store where I worked and cooperated with law enforcement to testify against the aggressor in court. He was given eleven years of incarceration without a chance of early release for good conduct. My concern is if my case applies because of the time that passed since the event.
Focus on getting the I-918. It's as simple as that; if you can't get it, no U visa for you.

hello! i was a victim of a crime as well back in 2001. i didn't know back then about U Visas. but let me tell you that i apply for a U visa on June 2012 and i was approved on December 23, 2012.
if you have proof the the crime, a letter from a law enforcement specifying that you were a victim of that crime and the help of a lawyer...... let me tell you my friend, that no matter how long back this happened to you.... i hope this can still been helpful to you. good luck