• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Trump and the DV lottery

Wingpin

I don't want this thread to be a political debate, but just to answer a simple question.. If he is elected, what are the chances of the congressionally mandated lottery being suspended for good? Does a president have the power to cancel the program?

I don't want this thread to be a political debate, but just to answer a simple question.. If he is elected, what are the chances of the congressionally mandated lottery being suspended for good? Does a president have the power to cancel the program?

The president alone can't cancel the DV Program and its a process that will take time if it happens. I personally consider that the program will end in the future, when a new immigration reform comes into place but time will tell when that happens. Just sharing my personal point of view, other experts will share their thoughts.

It won't happen. I'm guessing neither Trump nor Hillary have much concern about this method of entry, as it's importing people who want to work and have the proven capacity to do so.

Just a historical note:
In the lawsuit DV-2012 initial winners vs. DoS, Hillary, then Secretary of State, was named the defendant.

Just a historical note:
In the lawsuit DV-2012 initial winners vs. DoS, Hillary, then Secretary of State, was named the defendant.

Duh, it's the state department that runs the program! If Mickey Mouse had been Secretary of State then he would have been named defendant.

Well, nobody can predict the future but commonsense tells me for as long as they see the value in what the DV lottery stands for, then they will continue running this program.

When you consider that the bulk of ALL permanent immigration visas are family-based, then to me that means the existing diversity remains pretty much the same by just adding more people of the same origin. That exactly is what the diversity visa intends to change continuously...promote diversity by granting visas to individuals who are from countries with low rates of immigration to the United States.

Personally, I find it mind boggling to see the proportion of family-based immigrant visas versus employment based.

I guess there is a difference to countries like Australia or Canada, where you can be granted an immigration visa based on your skills or education, without the need to be sponsored by an employer.

atlas_By0Sdxukl.png

Well, nobody can predict the future but commonsense tells me for as long as they see the value in what the DV lottery stands for, then they will continue running this program.

When you consider that the bulk of ALL permanent immigration visas are family-based, then to me that means the existing diversity remains pretty much the same by just adding more people of the same origin. That exactly is what the diversity visa intends to change continuously...promote diversity by granting visas to individuals who are from countries with low rates of immigration to the United States.

Personally, I find it mind boggling to see the proportion of family-based immigrant visas versus employment based.

I guess there is a difference to countries like Australia or Canada, where you can be granted an immigration visa based on your skills or education, without the need to be sponsored by an employer.

atlas_By0Sdxukl.png

This is precisely why they want to reform immigration - family based immigrants are generally less educated and less employable than the others. Moving towards a more skills-based system makes much more sense.

This is precisely why they want to reform immigration - family based immigrants are generally less educated and less employable than the others. Moving towards a more skills-based system makes much more sense.
That's all good but I feel family based applications are meant to keep families together.

That's all good but I feel family based applications are meant to keep families together.

Yes, that is why they exist. But it doesn't help the country when the bulk of new immigrants are poorly educated and enter minimum wage jobs. If that sounds harsh, unfortunately it's backed up by statistics. The relatives allowed in on family visas for the US are much wider than any other country I'm aware of, and it's easy enough to keep immediate family together while still diverting a good number of visas to skills based ones that will help the country in the long term.

Absolutely, in total agreement SusieQQQ. When we came to nz, mum was granted permanent residency because her law degree. We were still poor but we sorted that out, we're classed as middle class working people now. We would not have been granted entry if we were just house wife. When dad was alive we were well off.

I am curious if the current Green Card holders like myself should consider applying for citizenship immediately because of uncertainties with the new administration. A lot of people hold their green cards for longer than 5 years of residency for various reasons (some are associated with the absence of allowing of dual citizenship from their countries of birth).

I am curious if the current Green Card holders like myself should consider applying for citizenship immediately because of uncertainties with the new administration. A lot of people hold their green cards for longer than 5 years of residency for various reasons (some are associated with the absence of allowing of dual citizenship from their countries of birth).
What uncertainties do you see? What makes you think that Trump will cancel all green cards? I think people are panicking for no reason.

I agree that there is little reason to panic as an existing green card holder. Trump is already walking back a number of his proposals, and policies don't get implemented overnight without warning.

However, the fact remains that regardless of who is president there is always a risk associated with being only a green card holder rather than a citizen.

I agree that there is little reason to panic as an existing green card holder. Trump is already walking back a number of his proposals, and policies don't get implemented overnight without warning.

However, the fact remains that regardless of who is president there is always a risk associated with being only a green card holder rather than a citizen.

Interesting

Well we have to wait and see... I guess now I need to think about Australia and Canada, my friends are telling me to apply there

What a situation

Interesting

Well we have to wait and see... I guess now I need to think about Australia and Canada, my friends are telling me to apply ther
What a situation

Not sure I understand the logic behind your comment. The same fact applies to Australia or Canada...as a permanent resident, you have the privilege to live and work in those countries, as a citizen you have the right.

Not sure I understand the logic behind your comment. The same fact applies to Australia or Canada...as a permanent resident, you have the privilege to live and work in those countries, as a citizen you have the right.

True, I guess my comment wasn't clear

I wasn't only just talking about the process of getting the permanent residency. I'm talking about the chances of getting the permanent residency along with the different methods applying for them. I have international friends who have said that its easy to apply and get the Australian citizenship, and they even compared it to the US since they have applied for the US. These people are from Indonesia, Sir Lanka, and Myanmar. So its not just one or two

However, they might be wrong and I might be wrong as well. Its just my mind is clouded at the moment with the current station

Australia definitely has more options for working visas than the US. But it's an entirely different country. The US and Australia are vastly different, with different cultures. The comparison that is made between countries like Australia and Canada vs the US is always a faulty one IMO.

so yesterday mr trump announced the "Big day planned on NATIONAL SECURITY"!! which he signed visa ban for certain countries

is it over for these countries GC winners now to go to US? what i read is this ban for all type of visa not for specific