trip between USA to Canada, is stamp needed?

hwen03

Can someone help me in make decision about whether I need to take the business trip to Canada or not?
My situation is:
1. Currently I am holding H-1B visa. However, after I came to USA with F-1 visa, I have not left USA---which means that my passport has only F-1 visa.

2. I need to go to Montreal for company business. HR told me that to get back to USA, I need to apply H-1B visa in US Embassy in Montreal. However, on one hand, Embassy website says that it strongly suggests applicants go their original country to apply; on the other hand, it is highly possible that I may need security check. I came from China with education in chemistry, biochemistry and pharmacy. How risky it is?

3. One friend told me that it is possible to go to Canada, and return within 30 days, I do not need to apply H-1B visa in US Embassy. He told me that I need not surrender my I-94 to US custom when I leave, so that I can use the same I-94 to come back. Please notice that my passport's visa is F-1, but my current visa status is H-1B. Can someone give me any advice?

Thanks a lot.

Hong