Travelling with Indian passport after oath ceremony

gckrishna1

My Oath ceremony is scheduled on July 30th, I may need to travel to India (for good) right after in August 1st week.

After Oath ceremony with the naturalization certificate can I travel to India with Indian passport?

Will there be any issues while entering India?
Will Indian immigration know that I am a US citizen at this time?

Can I apply for the US passport(first time) in US embassy/consulate in India with the naturalization certificate?

And finally, any issues applying for OCI card and Indian passport renunciation from India.

India does not allow dual citizenship.
So...
When you took the oath to become a US citizen, you, technically, renounced your Indian citizenship.
Traveling with indian passport, while being a US Citizen is against Indian laws.

Why become an American citizen if you plan on leaving for good. A week after becoming a citizen too at that.

You can apply for a passport. Same day. Its gonna cost you. Extra , just show proof of your travel plans.

As @RunninSloth pointed out. That India doesnt allow Dual Citizenship. To add to that as well , once you are an american citizen. The only passport you can legally use to travel is your American Passport. The day of your Oath Ceremony im sure they would make that clear to you. Congrats in advance,sadly you wont get to enjoy any of the benefits being a citizen offers as you are planning to leave for good.

Why become an American citizen if you plan on leaving for good. A week after becoming a citizen too at that.

You can apply for a passport. Same day. Its gonna cost you. Extra , just show proof of your travel plans.

As @RunninSloth pointed out. That India doesnt allow Dual Citizenship. To add to that as well , once you are an american citizen. The only passport you can legally use to travel is your American Passport. The day of your Oath Ceremony im sure they would make that clear to you. Congrats in advance,sadly you wont get to enjoy any of the benefits being a citizen offers as you are planning to leave for good.

US passport is only legally required for entry into US (well technically exit from but no one checks that)
OP will indeed have an ongoing benefit as citizen, being required to file taxes with Uncle Sam for the rest of his/her life irrespective of residence ;)

Wondering about the logic in Naturalization if there are plans to leave the US for good; looks like wanting it both ways.. wants his cake and eat it too.
According to a previous thread, his ties to the US as a GC holder were flimsy to begin with; wonder if USCIS questioned his frequent travels. Well, water under the bridge.

US passport is only legally required for entry into US (well technically exit from but no one checks that)
OP will indeed have an ongoing benefit as citizen, being required to file taxes with Uncle Sam for the rest of his/her life irrespective of residence ;)
I'm not too familiar with Indian laws, but I reckon once OP takes his oath as a USC, he is no longer a citizen of India as of that day. That would have the effect of rendering his Indian passport invalid for entry into India, which OP could to be intending to go around with his '..will Indian immigration know..' line.

Wondering about the logic in Naturalization if there are plans to leave the US for good; looks like wanting it both ways.. wants his cake and eat it too.
According to a previous thread, his ties to the US as a GC holder were flimsy to begin with; wonder if USCIS questioned his frequent travels. Well, water under the bridge.
Its not too hard to figure out why people do it. They become citizens with the intentions of not even living here thinking that they”re going be better off in the future.
Eg. Years down the line. Sponsor a family member

Child Derives Citizenship.

Move back to the US with family

90% of the times being a citizen doesnt help them because they cant fulfill reseidency Requirements before children are born to pass on citizenship
Or to sponsor a spouse. Or meet income requirement.

Only thing OP is guranteed. Is that The US of A gets a piece of his/her earnings for life. “Has to file taxes”

Its not too hard to figure out why people do it. They become citizens with the intentions of not even living here thinking that they”re going be better off in the future.
Eg. Years down the line. Sponsor a family member

Child Derives Citizenship.

Move back to the US with family

90% of the times being a citizen doesnt help them because they cant fulfill reseidency Requirements before children are born to pass on citizenship
Or to sponsor a spouse. Or meet income requirement.

Only thing OP is guranteed. Is that The US of A gets a piece of his/her earnings for life. “Has to file taxes”
Unless OP comes back and clarifies a few things, the more I go through his previous threads, the more his physical residence and ties come across as stronger to India than to the US. He seems to be pushing the envelope on ties to the US.

But yeah, I'm sure the US wouldn't mind getting a piece of his earnings. OP is a he (mentions a wife in an earlier post).

Let's all hold off on the judgment for a bit, shall we, and stick to the question?

The Indian passport will indeed be legally invalid, and I suggest postponing your departure by a few days at least so you can get a same-day passport, apply for an expedited renunciation certificate, and get an expedited entry visa for India. Then, you can apply for OCI in India.

I highly discourage traveling on your Indian passport as you won't have a US passport with proof of Indian entry when you apply for OCI later, and you really want to avoid immigration hassles.

Hey @gckrishna1, what did you ultimately do?
There is no problem in traveling on Indian passport for three months after acquiring US or any other citizenship. After that penalty would apply and may cause issues with OCI. However I wonder how you can get Indian visa while in India to renounce Indian citizenship.

Others: It cakes couple of weeks for the process to provide you the surrender certificate which is needed to get Indian visa. That might be too long for someone who needs to travel in emergency. GoI documents say three months grace period is okay to make any number of trips to India.