Travelling (vacation) Canada after GC

situn

Registered Users (C)
I have received my GC recently, We have plan to goto Niagara Falls from Canada side next month.

Please let me know the required docments and any precautions while corossing the boarder.

Please also let me know any problem in driving down to Canada from US.

Thanks in advance

situn said:
I have received my GC recently, We have plan to goto Niagara Falls from Canada side next month.
----- want to go to Niagara Falls Canada side
Please let me know the required docments and any precautions while corossing the boarder.
------------- Passport and Green card

Thanks in advance

Just Carry Passport, Green Card and of Course Drivers License.

situn said:

Thanks in advance

situn said:

Thanks in advance

passport, GC if you have the card, if not if just the stamp on the passport, they will have you wait while they check records. takes an additional 15 mins or so.

driving up to Canada is no problem, we did recently, make sure you save the reciepts, you can get your taxes back on everything except food & attraction tickets, if you are buying merchandise try to consolidate to less # of stores, as you need min of $50 CAD/reciept in order to claim taxes back

The whirlpool jetboat rides on the Niagara on the lakes is the most fun thing on the canadian side

Thank you all for the quick feed back.

vsaksena, I will be renting a car in US and drive down..
Do I need additional car Insurance for driving in Canada.

situn said:
Thank you all for the quick feed back.

vsaksena, I will be renting a car in US and drive down..
Do I need additional car Insurance for driving in Canada.

you mean drive up right? :) Am not sure abt renting, I drove my car. Do you have compr insurance on your own vehicle? If so you should ask your Ins company if your policy covers your rental (most US Ins policies cover North America); if not you might need to buy some kind of coverage through the car rental agency, In tht cacse it would be a few $$s, but would be huge peace of mind (In my case I have coverage through State farm & My car company's warranty/road side service policy which covers me in North America)

All the best; have fun

Thanks vsaksena for all the information.

I spoke to my auto insurance company, they do provide the insurance in Canada. As I am renting a car, they need the make, model and VIN number to send me the card.

I will try after renting the car if I can get.

Thanks agaian..

i am a resident since 1983 i just came from canada from a 4 month trip and i will be in U.S. for 30 days if i go back does the last 4 months add to the 4 months i will be out for ??????
and if you say my best bet is a re entry permit ( I-131) can i leave 3 weeks after i send it and wait for answer from canada .
i married her in the last trip,i also now want to take out my citizneship and i was wondering if the ( I-131 ) will affect my citizenship, does it make any difference that i have bin in the US as a resident since 1983 she will not move to the US cause she has to finish her studies and i hear to take out my US citizneship i have to be in the US.
it should not be so hard for me to be happy with her and do the right thing.
thanks

dollar430 said:
i am a resident since 1983 i just came from canada from a 4 month trip and i will be in U.S. for 30 days
---------- that is ok if your trip was for 4 months.

if i go back does the last 4 months add to the 4 months i will be out for ??????
------------ NO, it will be your next visit and dont stay more than 6 months

and if you say my best bet is a re entry permit ( I-131) can i leave 3 weeks after i send it and wait for answer from canada .

------------ you need to apply Rentry Permit while you are in US, the day your Reentry application reaches USCIS you can go out you can give your US address to send Reentry permit or you can give US consulate in Canada to pick up the reentry permit

i married her in the last trip,i also now want to take out my citizneship and i was wondering if the ( I-131 ) will affect my citizenship, does it make any difference that i have bin in the US as a resident since 1983 she will not move to the US cause she has to finish her studies and i hear to take out my US citizneship i have to be in the US.
---------------- your question is not clear, if you are GC holder since 1983 why not to apply US citizenship?? apply for US citizenship and it may get approved in 3-5 months and after that file for her. you did not provide facts of your case did you stay out side US in any trip more than 6 months in past? did you pay your US tax in past?
it should not be so hard for me to be happy with her and do the right thing.
thanks

WOW thanks
and i have not bin out of the country for more than 6 months, can i apply for citizneship from canada????
and if i plan to be back with in the 6 months will i need a rentry permit (I-131)?

dollar430 said:
and i have not bin out of the country for more than 6 months, can i apply for citizneship from canada????

You must have resided in the district where you are applying for the previous 90 days.

and if i plan to be back with in the 6 months will i need a rentry permit (I-131)?

No.

fastest repply ever WOW
as soon as i come back i will apply for citizenship can i travel after i take out my finger prints, cause they told me that they call you before the oath ceremony for the test so that means i have to travel back for the test then the ceremony
WOW ouch my pocket $$$$$

thanks guys best board on the web im gonna bookmark you and it will always be the only board i go onto for reference keep it up great help......

dollar430 said:
fastest repply ever WOW
as soon as i come back i will apply for citizenship can i travel after i take out my finger prints, cause they told me that they call you before the oath ceremony for the test so that means i have to travel back for the test then the ceremony
WOW ouch my pocket $$$$$

thanks guys best board on the web im gonna bookmark you and it will always be the only board i go onto for reference keep it up great help......

1 you will send the citizenship forms, fees with address where you resided in the US district previous 90 days.
2 you will get FP notice at that address then go for FP location on FP notice. your Interview will be in disctrict office (according to your US address on N400)

3 if you pass the Citizenship Interview then they send Oath letter any many local office conduct oath ceremony same day after interview.

SAMPLE CITIZENSHIP INTERVIEW
http://www.thecenterweb.org/alrc/pdfs/revinterview.pdf

Naturalization guide

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/English.pdf

hi again i must be a pain in the but by now, but i wanna make shure i dont make mistakes
after reading the naturalization guide, it says all the times i was out even if they where short trips you have to add all of the days you where out.
so that means if i was out for 4 months allready plus these 4 months that i will be out it's gonna be a total of 8 month and it says that if am out for more than 6 months i will beak the continous residency, will that apply to me being a resident since i was 8 years old ( 1983 )
and when you said previous 90 days does that mean when i come back i have to wait 90 days before i send the application, sorry if am being a little dumb
thanks.

dollar430 said:
hi again i must be a pain in the but by now, but i wanna make shure i dont make mistakes
after reading the naturalization guide, it says all the times i was out even if they where short trips you have to add all of the days you where out.
so that means if i was out for 4 months allready plus these 4 months that i will be out it's gonna be a total of 8 month and it says that if am out for more than 6 months i will beak the continous residency, will that apply to me being a resident since i was 8 years old ( 1983 )
not to break continue residence is SINGLE trip out of US more than 6 months
----- your last trip was 4 months and if you go out again for 4 months then that trip you have to list 4 months
for example:
first trip from date.... to date........ 120 days
second trip from date.... to date..... days
third trip..........
You shold not make SINGLE trip of more than 180 days.
why dont you download form N400 list all your trips and try to fill up the details? you will know if you are eligible.

and when you said previous 90 days does that mean when i come back i have to wait 90 days before i send the application, sorry if am being a little dumb
------------- you should be RESIDENT of that district for last 90 days. read the guide again page 18 to 38 2-3 times and try to understand that.

thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok he he..... :confused: :D
but if i add all those days that i list from to from and they add more than 8 month then i will loose the continous residency according to what is says