Travelling on AP is risky? INS advisory on NOV. 14

Sahin

Registered Users (C)
Hello Guys,

INS released a advisory what mentioned that travelling on AP may have serious consequence when AOS is pending? What does that mean? Even though if someone maintained valid status all the time, he might have problem coming on AP?

Do you guys have any idea? Please read the article and throw some thoughts. Also if anyone of you already know the lawers analysis on this, please post here:

http://www.ins.gov/graphics/publicaffairs/advisories/02.11INSISSU.htm
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 14, 2002

INS Issues Foreign Travel Advisory for Aliens
With Pending Immigration Applications

The Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) reminds aliens who have applied to adjust status to that of permanent resident that they must obtain Advance Parole (Form I-131-- Application for Travel Document) from the INS before traveling abroad (see INS Travel Advisory Questions and Answers). Travel outside of the United States may have severe consequences for certain aliens who are in the process of adjusting their status. Such aliens may be unable to return to the United States, their applications may be denied, or both.

Under the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996, aliens who depart the United States after being unlawfully present in the United States for certain periods can be barred from admission to lawful permanent resident status, even if they have obtained Advance Parole. Those aliens who have been unlawfully present in the United States for more than 180 days, but less than one year are inadmissible for three years; those who have been unlawfully present for a year or more are inadmissible for 10 years. Aliens who are unlawfully present, depart the U.S. and subsequently reenter under a grant of parole, may nevertheless be ineligible to adjust their status.

INS urges all aliens with pending applications for adjustment of status to consult an immigration attorney, immigration assistance organization accredited by the Board of Immigration Appeals, the INS National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283, or the INS web site: www.ins.gov before making any foreign travel plans.

-INS-

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, on FAQ I got.

Q6. Can travel abroad still have severe consequences for certain aliens, even if they have obtained Advance Parole?

A6. Yes, due to changes to U.S. immigration law, travel outside of the United States may have severe consequences for certain aliens who are in the process of adjusting their status or changing their nonimmigrant status. Such aliens may be found inadmissible to the United States upon return and/or their applications for adjustment or change of status may be denied.

Under the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996, aliens who depart the United States after accruing certain periods of unlawful presence in the United States can be barred from admission, even if they have obtained Advance Parole. Those aliens who are unlawfully present in the United States for 180 days but less than one year become inadmissible for three years; those who are unlawfully present for more than one year become inadmissible for 10 years.

Aliens who have concerns about their admissibility should contact an immigration attorney or an immigrant assistance organization accredited by the Board of Immigration Appeals before making foreign travel plans.

Therefore, they are mentioning clearly that anyone can have serious consequences even he/she travel on AP.

Hi,
The same notice was posted by INS before Nov.14 also,
I don't see any changes.
I'm also interested on this issue since I'm leaving Dec.14

Hmmmm.

I think it's only for people who have stayed here illegally. If you have stayed here legally then it should be Ok. That is how I am interpreting it.

I am planning to go using AP soon too. So anybody who has more information, please chime in.

Thanks

Interpretation!

I agree with BlueforGreen in his interpreatation. I tyhink, It is aimed at people who are staying illegally and adjusting status. For those who maintain their status all along, shouldn't have a problem. However, there are always exceptions here and there. I am also traveling this month on AP. Wish you all a pleasant and safe trip. Please post any useful info!!

Kamal

I just spoke with my lawyer. He said new security and regulation shouldn't affect anybody who travell legally and hasn't been in us
illegally. But I'm nervous anyway :)

So how does INS know I was here legally?

* My H1-B expired in aug 2002. So did my I-94 which was
tied to the H1-B visa.

* I'm currently on EAD. Which expired on Feb 25, 2003.

* Say I travel outside the country on a valid AP (assuming I got
my AP extension before the travel) Can I come back into the
US without facing any consequences?
- INS does not know that I was here legally since I am on EAD.
- They may just go by the expired I-94 card (assuming it shows
up in some database at the immigration).

* Anything called emergency-AP that I can apply for while I am
waiting on my AP+EAD renewal approval?

Thanks,
Rajesh

They (can) know, with AP they have your case number which is linked
one way or another to earlier visas and other documents.
Of course how good computer system they have hard to know,
but watching for job ther are doing, I guess its very bad, so
somebody can have luck.

For suchiraj5
So how does INS know I was here legally?
------ They can check your all records by your A # (see your EAD or I-485 receipt it has A#0XXXXXXXXX, just they have to punch you’re A # and they can know every thing on your record with INS, you were not illegally

* My H1-B expired in aug 2002. So did my I-94, which was
tied to the H1-B visa.

-------- But IF you filed I-485 and you were not staying illegally your status after your I-94 expired was AOS pending, if you were working after your H1B expired you have used EAD and filed I-9 form with employer, if you worked after expiry of H1B with out valid EAD that was illegal work
* I'm currently on EAD. Which expired on Feb 25, 2003.

* Say I travel outside the country on a valid AP (assuming I got
my AP extension before the travel) Can I come back into the
US without facing any consequences?
--- Travel only after you have AP in your hands and keep I-485 filling Receipt with you
- INS does not know that I was here legally since I am on EAD.
----- INS knows it because you filed I-485 with INS and you are I-485 pending status
--- You were legally AOS Pending
- They may just go by the expired I-94 card (assuming it shows
up in some database at the immigration).

----- No needs to worry show AP and if asked I-485 receipt

* Anything called emergency-AP that I can apply for while I am
waiting on my AP+EAD renewal approval?
---- For emergency AP they need the document related to Emergency