Travelling on AP from JFK - Need Advice

akela

Registered Users (C)
I am travelling on AP and I am carrying all original Advance Parole papers and my EAD. I am trvelling from JFK, New York. Can anyone share their experience about emmigration and do I need to carry any other paers!!

Thanks in advance,
akela

I recently travelled using AP from newark. I carried my 5 recent paystubs, employment verification letter, 485 reciept, 140 approval notice apart from AP and EAD. While returning back, the immig personal checked just the AP. I carried the above extra papers since I was travelling for first time on AP. Please don't conclude from my post that only AP is needed. I would suggest to carry whatever you feel is important to carry.

I came from India using AP and I also had paystubbs,w2s etc with me but they did not asked any single questions ,send me for secondary inquiry and where officer came and hand over AP and passport along with I-94 .It looks like very straightforward process .

Rather straightforward ..

You can carry a copy of your most recent pay stub and other supporting information for your own comfort - in all the travels I did on AP, they never looked at any of the stuff. But read on for a couple of scares ..

Scare 1

Once, while coming back once, the guy at Delhi (India) airport wanted to make a copy of my AP .. and the carrier did not have a copier at that terminal. I hesitated a lot - he was going to walk out to another terminal and get back in 10/15 minutes - if he did that is, and I would be left with no legal re-entry document. What if this was a racket? What if he never came back? (Luckily, and I did not disclose this to him - I had another AP inside my handbag). With my hesitation - he said, sir, you are looking at the possibility of having to stay back in case you don't give me your papers to copy. He was with the airlines (Continental) and seemed to be known around the place, so I let him take my papers (did not have a choice, did I?). But he did come back .. no racket, no conspiracy.

Scare 2

The dumbo at the immigration on the way back (again, same trip - Delhi Airport) asked me about my visa. I said - I have AP. He looked at the AP and read it may be twice. Then he called some one over and asked "Wasn't there a recent circular about not allowing folks with AP to board flights to the US?" - while I listened. Oh man! What is this? The other officer said "I have not seen any such thing, AP is OK". Relief? No .. this idiot persisted "No, I have seen the circular that the AP is no longer valid". The other officer said "It is fine, as long as the date allows you re-entry". With one further study (oh yes, may be he had an exam coming up on it the next day .. can you believe it?) of the AP, he very reluctantly let go uttering something like "You should be thankful, because I have tried to help"/ Yeah, right - moron! All this while, I stood there quietly - no point in annoying any official who can make sure that you miss your flight!

Traveling on AP is very straightforward!

I have traveled twice on AP and most recently as a few days ago. On neither occasion I had any problems entering the US. I entered at two different ports of Entry and the process was somewhat different but nothing that would be called too difficult.

The only minor issue was that the last time I only carried one AP out of the two that was issued to me. At Detroit PoE, the officer asked me if I had another copy to which I said yes, but that it is not with me. He mentioned that I am supposed to carry all copies of the AP with me, in case the airline or the Immigration Officer at PoE decides to keep a copy.

He however did not make a big fuss and made a copy of my AP. On both occasions, no additional documents like paystubs, employment letter etc. was asked for nor shown. I think being in an Adjustment of Status situation helps.

I just came back from India and landed in JFK on 25th. They just saw passport and AP document and stamped it. There were no issues.

I asked my lawyer before traveling to Netherland and India twice, I was told to take only passport and AP. Did not have any problem. I even went outside Frankurt airport (I had visa) with no issue.

Just make sure you do not get into any other trouble like bringing food, seeds etc. and not declare them. :D