Travelling on Advance Parole


Registered Users (C)
I came to USA on an F1 in 2002 and have not gone back to Pakistan since. I am now working on an H1B. Recently I got my EAD card and on the bottom it says " serves as I-512 Advanced Parole". I want to visit Pakistan in February 2014 but I have only the F1 stamp on my passport and I don't want to go to the Islamabad embassy for a new stamping. Please outline in detail how to go about planning my trip so I can re-enter with no hassle.
Can I visit Canada without going to Pakistan first? Will I face any issues re-entering USA from Canada?

In your experience, how much longer do I have to wait to get my I-485 approved and receive my green card?
Can I change jobs now that I have my EAD?



Well-Known Member
The whole point of Advance Parole is that it allows you to enter the U.S. without a visa. You will not have any issues. You could also enter on an H1b visa if you want, but that would require you to get a stamping; if you don't want to do that just enter on Advance Parole.

Forget about the F1. 1) You are not on F1 status anymore as you are on H1b status, so you cannot use an F1 visa. 2) You cannot use an F1 visa to enter the U.S. at this point anyway, as you have immigrant intent.

You could change jobs but if your green card is employment-based I am not sure how that would affect your green card application.