Travelling as PR by rental car to Canada-problem ??

deepred

Registered Users (C)
Hello:
A lot of people have strongly suggested on this forum that driving as a permanent resident from US to Canada is ok only if the rental car has Canadian plates, otherwise it could be a problem.

I am a landed resident and I plan to travel (with my PR card) from Buffalo to Toronto in 2 weeks by rental car. My brother is accompanying me on a visitor visa (he is not a resident of Canada). The problem is I may not be able to get a car with Canadian plates. Is it possible for my brother to drive the car into Canada while I am on the passenger side ? (The only risk is that my brother's name will not be on the car rental contract, so technically he is not allowed to drive that car), but does Canadian immigration really check the car rental agreement to see who should actually be driving the car ?

Whenever I travelled on a visitior visa previously, they never checked the car agreement at the border. But has it happened with anyone before ? Can someone please tell me if it's ok to do as I plan ?

Thanks in advance...

traveling in Rented Car from USA to Canada

Hi,
Last month I travelled from Connecticut to Toronto via Buffello in a Hertz rented car to apply for PR card.During entering and coming out both cases officer at POE did not ask anything when I told them I rented this car from Hertz,Hartford,CT
Next week again I am planning to visit via rented car via Detroit beacause now I have been moved to Chicago
Thanks