Traveling with US and Canadian passport

plaidcat

Hi there,

I'm sure you've seen this question 1,000 times but I was wondering if anyone could clarify:

I moved to the states 6 months ago from Canada. Born Canadian, American mother. Anywho, I'm going back to visit Canada for the first time since moving. From what I understand, the US demands you leave and enter with a US passport and Canada suggests you enter with a Canadian passport. What I'm not clear is what "exit" means. Is the exit your final passport check with the airline?

From what I've been reading I should be doing this:

US to Canada: (Los Angeles to Toronto)
Checking in with the airline with US passport
Going through Security with US passport, boarding plane with US passport
Arriving in Canada, use Canadian passport to go through customs.

Canada to US (Toronto to Los Angeles)
Checking in with the airline with US passport
Going through customs and Security with US passport, boarding plane with US passport.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

Thanks!

With the US, the exit-with-a-US-passport requirement is a little odd because of the lack of exit immigration control. What it has often been interpreted to mean is that you ought to have your US passport with you, so that you can then enter with it (which is a must). So really, when you exit the US, you can use your Canadian passport the whole time, and when you return from Canada, you can use your US passport the whole time. If, at any time, you need to show your other passport (for example, if US immigration asks for your stamp or something, which is unlikely), you can show your other passport. However, don't show it if you're not asked. In any case, this should be a stress-free series of events.

Also, I think you can enter Canada on a foreign passport too. I know of Canadians who hold dual citizenship with other countries, and they've found their Canadian passports expired and entered Canada on foreign passports, informing the immigration officer that they are Canadian citizens (and show their expired passports).

Of course, a valid passport would be best.

Thank you both for your replies. I mostly wanted to travel with my US passport (for everything except Canadian customs) because my additional provided info with the airline is under my US passport info.

I assume there's no issue with switching passports when you land in Canada. I've never tried.

Quick question: I've noticed that US citizens need to fill out a slip of paper before boarding an (I assume) international flight. What is it?

The main reason I'd rather enter Canada with my Canadian passport is because of the zero hassle and guaranteed entry. I'm currently not working so I would rather not have to bring proof of ties to the US (yes, I'm a worrier).

I'm picking up my cat so the less I need to remember the better!

Before flying? Nothing to fill. On the plane before landing in the US we all have to fill out customs forms. People with visas also fill out an I94.

The way I have heard it understood is that, sometimes but very rarely, the CBP does do random exit checks at the gate in the U.S. If that ever happens, and you're a U.S. citizen, you must show them your U.S. passport to exit. But the other 99% of the time you don't have to do anything to "exit" with a U.S. passport.

OP, when you check in for your outbound flight, you have to use your US passport because the airline will then transmit an electronic passenger manifest to the CBP, so the CBP will know that the US citizen "plaidcat" left the country. Once again, use your US passport when check in for the LA-bound flight in Toronto because this information will again be transmitted to the CBP. Using your Canadian passport when entering Canada is mandatory, as far as I know. Plus, Canada is your native country, so you have an unconditional right to enter and reside there.

People often say that there are no outbound immigration checks in the USA. True, there are no explicit physical checks, but the list of passengers and their biographical information is transmitted to the CBP by airline companies. It is recommended that US citizens who are leaving have the correct citizenship in CBP outbound records.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it's true that CBP get flight manifests, so what Konig says is true. However, anecdotal evidence from people I know who are dual citizens indicates that leaving on a foreign passport (EU, Pakistani) and re-entering on a US passport doesn't raise flags. The US passport has always been on their person.

Also, apparently it isn't mandatory to enter Canada with a Canadian passport, though it is HIGHLY recommended, and might cause delays if unavailable: http://travel.gc.ca/travelling/publications/dual-citizenship

The way I have heard it understood is that, sometimes but very rarely, the CBP does do random exit checks at the gate in the U.S. If that ever happens, and you're a U.S. citizen, you must show them your U.S. passport to exit. But the other 99% of the time you don't have to do anything to "exit" with a U.S. passport.

When I used to live near the Canadian border, my brother and I went to Canada for the day. On that particular day there was a mandatory US Inspection Check when leaving the US. We where questioned by US CBP (I think it was still the old customs under the Treasury Department at the time) on things such as were we live, how long we are going to be in Canada, and the reason we were going to Canada. Once we cleared that we were able to proceed to the Canadian Inspection Station at the border.

So, yes CBP does randomly do exit checks.

OP, when you check in for your outbound flight, you have to use your US passport because the airline will then transmit an electronic passenger manifest to the CBP, so the CBP will know that the US citizen "plaidcat" left the country. Once again, use your US passport when check in for the LA-bound flight in Toronto because this information will again be transmitted to the CBP.

So then what happens if you are going from the U.S. to another country you're a national of, and U.S. citizens do not have visa waiver access to that country? Then the airline won't let you check in unless you show them a way of entering that country; and the only document that satisfies that is that country's passport. So, then do you check in with two passports?

So then what happens if you are going from the U.S. to another country you're a national of, and U.S. citizens do not have visa waiver access to that country? Then the airline won't let you check in unless you show them a way of entering that country; and the only document that satisfies that is that country's passport. So, then do you check in with two passports?
Easy. You show them your US passport first, and after they ask about visa for the destination country, you present them with your non-US passport. This way, they will still enter your US information into the outbound manifest to be transmitted to the CBP. I have checked in with two passports many times (not only going to my native country), and it has never been a problem.

Before flying? Nothing to fill. On the plane before landing in the US we all have to fill out customs forms. People with visas also fill out an I94.

No the form that 'plaidcat' refers to definitely exists and must be filled in before flying. It is supposedly mandatory for US citizens and optional for non-citizens. It requests citizenship info (US, Canadian, or other) and name only. Optionally (even for US citizens) it requests emergency contact info.

I flew Air Canada to/from the US recently and definitely had to fill this form in both directions and give it to the boarding agent while boarding the flight. My recollection is that not all airlines have this form--it is supposedly a US gov't requirement but it is an Air Canada form--but I have no idea why.

To Canada:
Check in with your airline with your Canadian passport (Or US passport due to visa free entry into Canada status)

Generally as a dual citizen I would show the airline the passport of whatever country my itinerary terminates in assuming I'm a citizen of that country. As a dual US-Canadian citizen living in the US and flying a return US->Canada->US trip I'd show my US passport to the airline. The reason is that I clearly have to show the US passport on the return leg to the airline--because otherwise I'd be a Canadian travelling on a one-way ticket to the US. So it creates less confusion if I just consistently show the airline the US passport from the beginning.