Travel with 2 passports with 2 different names

got2go408

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

I'm going to have my oath ceremorny next week and want to apply for the US passport with my new name on that. I still have my valid passport from my original country with my original name on that. Now that I want to travel back to my original country and the country require visa to enter with a limited time of staying , so I want to enter there with my old passport. My question is t can I travel with those passports in different names, which name should I put on the airline ticket? is there any chances that trouble occur on any port of entry ? Thank you for your time guys.

What is your current citizenship? It sounds like a bad idea going with passports in different names. When you change your name your new name is your name. That should be obvious. If you are allowed to keep your original citizenship get a new passport.

There is no problem traveling with 2 or more passports. I do it all the time, using the passport for the country I'm going into, as you noted, due to either possible visa requirements/restrictions or just simply a faster process through that country's customs.

However, as cafeconleche stated, you will have problems with two different names. The reason being, your airline ticket MUST match your passport, even shortened names or full names of your proper name (with no official name change) can and will cause problems at check in. This is more an issue when you check in with the airlines. As for going through customs and immigration, bring both passports and hand the one that will provide your benefit, i.e. no visa requirement.

So due to your unique situation, for at least the issue of checking in with the airlines, you are going to have to choose which one, i.e. name you will use and check in with that passport.

I know I am resurrecting a very old thread, so my apologies for that. Now, I'd like to share my experience travelling on 2 passports with different names. During naturalization I changed my both first and last names, so the names don't really match although the new last name preserved the root from the old one. When I arrive to or depart from the USA, I obviously use my US passport and buy tickets on my new name. I do the same when I travel to countries that don't require visas for the US citizens.

When I go to my original country (Ukraine), I am required to use my Ukrainian passport; however, since they don't have anything like APIS, I still buy tickets in my new name. I should probably mention that Ukraine does not recognize my US citizenship and does not recognize my new US name, so I have to use my old name while I am in Ukraine. Unfortunately, I cannot change my Ukrainian name to that of my new US name because my US naturalization cannot serve as the basis for the name change in Ukraine (Ukraine does not recognize my naturalization in the USA). So, for now, I am stuck with two different names. Now, back to travel. If I want to go to a country that is visa-free for Ukrainian citizens (e.g., Brazil), I still buy tickets on my US passport, but at the check-in, I show then both my US and Ukrainian passport, so that they can verify I will be admissible to Brazil. In Brazil, I will use my Ukrainian passport to enter and exit the country.

The bottom line is that both Ukraine and the USA do not prohibit dual citizenship and the USA explicitly states that the use of a foreign passport does not endanger the US citizenship. Thus, juggling two or more passports is legal even if they have different names in them.

It's good you resurrected this old post with relevant info!

Immigration in Brazil have never questioned the name difference? And, even though this has worked for you so far, do you think there's a chance of getting stuck somewhere because of this?

By the way, doesn't Ukraine prohibit dual citizenship? Just curious.