Travel while I-751 is in Process...

degrabber

I am applying for I-751(Petition to remove conditions on permanent residency). Can i travel out side U.S while the I-751 is in Process. If so what documents are needed.

degrabber said:
I am applying for I-751(Petition to remove conditions on permanent residency). Can i travel out side U.S while the I-751 is in Process. If so what documents are needed.
You have a green card. As long as its not expired, you can travel.

My green card will be exipiring in 1st week of Dec. I can apply for I-751 in September - 90 days prior to expiration. If i want to travel after December what is the process.

Hi

I am in the same boat.I have sent my application to remove my conditions .The only thing that i have received from the INS is a letter extending my status by a year.Which is good for travel and employment.

I have heard that the Indian Immigration officials give a hard time if you dont have the actual card itself.Since they do not understand the concept of a letter instead of a card.
I am still looking for answers will let you know i find one.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1659560

for the lazy ones...

When you file your I-751, you will receive back a NOA that extends the card for another year. The letter is proof of your status. If you are still nervous about traveling then you can try to get a passport stamp. Some have reported that USCIS would not issue the stamp because the NOA was valid proof. Others have reported that they have received the stamp. Having the letter will not pose a problem for re-entry into the U.S. The problem arises when dealing with non-USCIS entities like airlines who may not be as familiar with NOAs for I-751s.

A person with a conditional green card is termed a lawful permanent resident. During the interim period they are still lawful permanent residents. After they receive approval of their I-751 they are still lawful permanent residents.

If you attempt to file your I-751 earlier than 90 days before your 2-yr permanent residency anniversary, USCIS will return your forms. You must file within the 90-day window (no later, no earlier).

Travel On Expired Conditional Green Card

praveen1974 said:
I am in the same boat.I have sent my application to remove my conditions .The only thing that i have received from the INS is a letter extending my status by a year.Which is good for travel and employment.

I have heard that the Indian Immigration officials give a hard time if you dont have the actual card itself.Since they do not understand the concept of a letter instead of a card.
I am still looking for answers will let you know i find one.