Travel to Virgin Island US on H1B(no stamp)

Hi
I am currently on H1b and DONOT have my passport stamped with h1b visa stamp.

I was wondering if I can travel to Virgin Island US withouth a visa stamp?

In fact, do I even need to carry my passport when travelling to Virgin Island US?

Some one told me that I can just fly using my driver licence and upon re-entry into USA, its like a local flight, is that true?

thanks

VI485

Registered Users (C)
You definetly need Passport

HI
I live in the Virgin Islands and i had spoken to an immigration officer once (Long time ago, maybe a year or so) and he had mentioned that i need to have a valid I94 for a reentry, but you definetly need a passport for sure because when you are flying from here you need to go through immigration as if you are going back from another country, they usually check your passport and H1Visa. You can call the local immigration office here in St.Thomas and enquire. The immigration office number is 1 340 774 1390 or you can call the immigration dept at the airport which is 1 340 774 4279 ( I would call this number as these are the ones who check your passport).
Hope this helps

Thanks for the prompt replies.

So from what I understand, they just want to ensure that you have valid documents to re-enter mainland USA.

They dont issue a new I-94, right?

Also because I dont have a h1b Visa stamp, I would need to carry my orginal h1B petition, right?

cool_change

Registered Users (C)
if you came to the usa as a tourist, and then applied for a adjustment to a h1b visa, i would suggest that you don't travel to the virgin islands as this might cause some complications to you.

i've known people who went out with the same situation as what you have who were not able to reenter the usa.

anupgs said:
Thanks for the prompt replies.

So from what I understand, they just want to ensure that you have valid documents to re-enter mainland USA.

They dont issue a new I-94, right?

Also because I dont have a h1b Visa stamp, I would need to carry my orginal h1B petition, right?

It is 2019 and it is still te he same I believe
I just got back from St Thomas and it is considered domestic so you return with no problems
You need the original i797 approval of your visa to show status even if the visa stamp on the passport is expired and your passport
When you go through immigration they ask if you have gone to outside US territory like the British VI which you should not without a visa stamp
GL